Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun to start out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun to start out
    Posted: 02 November 2007 at 7:09pm
greetings all,
im new to Paintball, have gone 4 times an have decided to invest some money in my own gear. I have been reading a lot and it seems like Autocockers are a good gun to get, but im thinking of getting a Karnivore, which is a little more than the others people have been advising. My question is will this still be ok to start out?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 8:25pm
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Karnis are rather expensive new (especially since they've been discontinued) and require a very fast hopper (Halo or ReLoader B2 at the least) and HPA to run properly. Add in the cost of a no-fog/thermal mask of a good quality, and a pack to hold the pods to feed a karni, and you're going to be shelling out some major cash. Now, if you have the money to spend, then by all means, go for it. But if you want to budget a bit, there are a lot of other markers out there that you could go with and be just as happy with. The most important thing for us to know is what you want your marker to be able to do. Do you want speed? Reliability? Easy of maintenance and repair? Are you looking to play mainly woods-ball or are you more of a speedball kind of player? There are a ton of great markers out there, but all have different qualities. The more info you let us know, the better we can help you out.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 8:55pm

I can't recommend a cocker (especially a Karni) as someone's first gun.

If you want to jump into the high end/mid end market right off the bat, figure a Halo/Reloader/Pulse/Vlocity/etc. costing from 85-150. 68/4500 at 150-200. The cost of paint to feed the gun is ridiculous. Add in at the very least pods and a harness and you're looking at 500 and up plus the cost of the gun.

Knowing that, what do you want to spend on the gun itself? 

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 02 November 2007 at 8:59pm
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:01pm
i have the money to spend on a gun, thats not really a prob, i really like the looks of the karnivore, which is why i was thinking of getting it, any suggestions for a gun around $600, or less would be appreciated, and i will take a look at them. at the place i play it ive mainly done woodsball, but ive done some of the ones where its all close range, and those are really fun, i actually like those more because its more intense.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:08pm

Well, there are many guns under $600.  Are you willing to buy used, because you can get almost anything for $600.  I would get a used Cyborg, fast, efficient, good size, very reliable, and from a great company.

If you want cheaper, and new, look at the FEP Quest, DP guns, maybe a PMR/MINI, but, Id go for the Quest.

So, new or used?

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:18pm
undecided, it depends, i dont know a lot about paintball, i just want something thats good that i can use for along time and not feel like i need to upgrade.
TheWarHam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWarHam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:30pm
People could be suggesting you guns all day, but Id suggest the Invert Mini. It comes with everything you need in a gun, including an epic barrel, with 200 dollars to spare on a good hpa tank and a mask or whatever. I also like its awesome TINYNESS! (Its nice and small for speedball but durable on the outside for smashing it on trees when woodsballing)

If I thought it was necessary to spend more than 200 dollars on a gun, I would most definitely get the Mini.
Indeedly
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:55pm
alright thanks for the help, ive decided to either go with http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?s=iispaintball&pf_id =XP7108C-SIL&dept_id=13913 or possibly the mini. I am going down to a shop tomorrow to talk to some people, but both look like a pretty good deal, thanks :)
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 11:57pm
I'm not getting anything out of that URL

Anywho, when you get up into the $600 range, it's tough to go wrong unless you buy a smart-parts marker.
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 12:53am

Minis are good for midgets or people with small arms. With anyone else, it's not very comfortable unless you stick a long tank on it.

I really don't care how good the gun looks. If you're not expereinced with paintball, you will be doing yourself a disservice by getting an e-cocker. They are not the easiest guns to deal with.

HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 1:20am
the link i posted was a link to the Indian Creek BKO bushmaster, that Tallen had posted in another thread.
rvieira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvieira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 3:45am

Originally posted by HasNoLife HasNoLife wrote:

I am going down to a shop tomorrow to talk to some people

This is by far your best bet. People can call out markers all day long but as a new player, they are only names. Hold a few in your hands, if your lucky enough they might let you shoot with some. Get a feel for what you like, ask questions, do more research and ask more questions. If your going to spend $600.00 dollars you dont want to get it wrong.

More importantly get a good mask. To me getting a good mask is much more important then a marker. You might have a $600.00 marker, but if you cant see your opponents or where you are going because of fog or whatever, then its pretty useless.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 2:25pm
I would definately not reccommend spending $600 on your first gun expecially if you "don't know alot about paintball".
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
TheWarHam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWarHam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by hybrid-sniper hybrid-sniper wrote:

Minis are good for midgets or people with small arms. With anyone else, it's not very comfortable unless you stick a long tank on it.
I have long arms and I dont really see that, but I guess I can see how you could get that idea.

Honestly if you seriously don't know that much at all for paintball I suggest you get a 200 dollar gun, though. Though if youre bent on spending that much money, I still think you should at least ask to hold a mini.

Edited by TheWarHam - 04 November 2007 at 7:10pm
Indeedly
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 9:04pm

I held a Mini at my local shop. I'm 6'3ish" and I rather liked the way it felt.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I held a Mini at my local shop. I'm 6'3ish" and I rather liked the way it felt.

I did too, until I played with one. Just didn't feel right from the get-go. I guess it's one of those things you'd have to get used to after all the years using a .45 frame
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 5:12pm

i went to the shop, and talked to them about guns, and one i was looking at was a jef orr or something, and i got to shoot it. But it was $500 just for the gun, and i would still have to buy everything else. one thing im looking at is a BKO http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?s=iispaintball&pf_id =XP7108C-SIL&dept_id=13913

theres also a package that comes with a tank and stuff.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 5:58pm
To run that BKO, you're going to need to have an HPA tank. Again, cost becomes a factor though if you have $600 to blow on equipment, then you shouldn't have a problem. I'd suggest a 68/4500 hpa tank (fiber wrapped) and at least a Halo to run that particular marker. You'll also want a good mask. I suggest a V-Force Profiler or JT Pro-Flex or Flex-7 as they both have excellent anti-fog capabilities and excellent peripheral vision characteristics.

So, all told you'd be looking at around $500 start-up just for the marker, tank, loader, and mask. You'll need a harness and pods to feed the sucker, squeegees, battle swabs, etc etc. but those can come at a later juncture.
HasNoLife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNoLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 10:20pm
what about an evo or something like that, those are supposed to be good.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 10:32pm
evo or ego?

If you're talking "evo" as in Belsales "Evolution" autocockers, you're not going to have much luck getting one outside of the UK unless it's used at the moment. Not to mention the fact that you're going to have a mechanical marker at a rather high cost for what mechs go these days.

If you mean Ego by Planet Eclipse, you're still shooting high in the price range, even for used. Either way, either of those markers still requires HPA and a fast-feeding hopper (Halo at least, again)

If you're dead set on starting out with a 'cocker. Let me tell you this. Don't go high-end. Don't get all the bells and whistles. Just get a E-1 or E-2 framed bone-stock STO/Pro-Stock/Black Magic, or one of the other rock-solid WGP products prior to the advent of the trilogy. You can get them used for a decent price and there is a lot less to go wrong when they're factory built.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic