Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Improved Accuracy on a Budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GodlessRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodlessRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improved Accuracy on a Budget
    Posted: 13 November 2007 at 6:35am
I have a 98 Custom with ACT and a 20 oz CO2 tank that I use for woodsball. I would like to make it more accurate, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrades. I have read through the upgrade FAQ and searched the forums a bit, but I am a bit of a noob, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

1) I know to match the paint to the bore of the barrel, so no need to suggest that.

2) I've read that accuracy declines if the speed is over 280 fps. Is this correct?

3) I need a better barrel. I've already ordered a used 14" J&J Ceramic on eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet. ($15.50, shipping included - I couldn't pass that up.) Supposedly that barrel gives a good compromise between accuracy and sound suppression, with little loss in gas efficiency. I sneak around and try to make every shot count, so it sounds like that would suit my style. Sound about right?

3) I've read about coating a barrel with Rain-X to improve performance. Is there any point in doing that with a J&J Ceramic?

4) I need an expansion chamber. I think this is particularly important since I plan to play in cold weather. I'm thinking of ordering an ACI Sub-Zero 6-stage, based on the glowing reviews it has received. Good choice?

5) I've read that a drop forward is required to use an expansion chamber, but I don't see why. Is this true? I'd rather not use a drop forward, actually.

6) I understand a low pressure kit or Palmer Stabilizer would help. However, the ones I've seen so far have been out of my price range. Similarly, I don't plan to switch to HPA. I like using the tank as a stock and I don't mind the weight, so I don't plan on using a remote line either.

7) I've read about polishing the internals, but I'm not entirely clear on the practical benefits. It reduces wear on the internals and improves accuracy, right?

Thanks a bunch,
Charles

Edited by GodlessRose - 13 November 2007 at 6:36am
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2007 at 7:56am
1. Ok
2. there is very little difference between 280 and 300fps, its when you start getting up in the 315 range that shots go everywhere.
3. J&J is a good choice, however I prefer the Lapco Bigshot.
3.1. No point on coating a J&J with Rain-X, it already has a shoot through coating.
4, I would go with a regulator over a x-chamber, I prefer the Palmers Stab or the AKA Sidewinder.
5. You don't need a drop forward, you need a vertical adapter kit.
6. Ok
7. It helps with gas efficiency because it reduces drag from the roughed up paint in the internals.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2007 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

1. Ok
2. there is very little difference between 280 and 300fps, its when you start getting up in the 315 range that shots go everywhere.
3. J&J is a good choice, however I prefer the Lapco Bigshot.
3.1. No point on coating a J&J with Rain-X, it already has a shoot through coating.  I agree.  The barrel companies know what's best for their barrels, and i highly discourage putting anything in the barrel that could change the coefficient of friction.
4, I would go with a regulator over a x-chamber, I prefer the Palmers Stab or the AKA Sidewinder.  He said those where out of his price range.
5. You don't need a drop forward, you need a vertical adapter kit.
6. Ok
7. It helps with gas efficiency because it reduces drag from the roughed up paint in the internals.  Also has been reported to reduce sound and make air pressure more consistent, although those aren't that noticeable.

welcome to the forums.  Thank you for researching on your own.

Edited by Styro Folme - 13 November 2007 at 6:04pm
X
GodlessRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodlessRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 4:45am

Thanks again for the feedback, and the welcome. I went ahead and ordered a used ACI Sub-Zero 6-Stage on eBay ($20.45, shipping included.) I may upgrade to a Palmer one of these days, but for now I'm going cheap.

All the best,
Charles
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:48am
I hope you ordered a Vertical Adapter, otherwise you will just have an extra useless piece of metal sitting around the house.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by GodlessRose GodlessRose wrote:

I have a 98 Custom with ACT and a 20 oz CO2 tank that I use for woodsball. I would like to make it more accurate, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrades. I have read through the upgrade FAQ and searched the forums a bit, but I am a bit of a noob, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

1) I know to match the paint to the bore of the barrel, so no need to suggest that.

2) I've read that accuracy declines if the speed is over 280 fps. Is this correct?

Snake covered it pretty much. Just dont jack up your velocity sky high.

3) I need a better barrel. I've already ordered a used 14" J&J Ceramic on eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet. ($15.50, shipping included - I couldn't pass that up.) Supposedly that barrel gives a good compromise between accuracy and sound suppression, with little loss in gas efficiency. I sneak around and try to make every shot count, so it sounds like that would suit my style. Sound about right?

Sounds right. I have a J&J myself and didn't like it too much (and I was using the right bore paint, unless my field owner lied about the bore). However, most people love them. If you're looking for a cheap kit go with a Empire kit.

3) I've read about coating a barrel with Rain-X to improve performance. Is there any point in doing that with a J&J Ceramic?

I've heard that it only helps with chops. I have yet to try it, however it probably cant hurt your barrel. J&J's dont clean themselves as well as advertised. If you're apprehensive, get a buddy to try it or try it on your stock barrel.

4) I need an expansion chamber. I think this is particularly important since I plan to play in cold weather. I'm thinking of ordering an ACI Sub-Zero 6-stage, based on the glowing reviews it has received. Good choice?

You already got one, so I cant help.

5) I've read that a drop forward is required to use an expansion chamber, but I don't see why. Is this true? I'd rather not use a drop forward, actually.

No, but you NEED a vertical adapter unless you have a remote.

6) I understand a low pressure kit or Palmer Stabilizer would help. However, the ones I've seen so far have been out of my price range. Similarly, I don't plan to switch to HPA. I like using the tank as a stock and I don't mind the weight, so I don't plan on using a remote line either.

Okay.

7) I've read about polishing the internals, but I'm not entirely clear on the practical benefits. It reduces wear on the internals and improves accuracy, right?

Not accuracy, but adds a little bit of speed. It cant hurt unless you use sandpaper or something. You sound like a intellegent person (nice to see a new person coming in with a brain) who wouldn't do that.

Thanks a bunch,
Charles

You're welcome, Charles.

Edited by SSOK - 17 November 2007 at 2:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic