Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas leak (98c)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas leak (98c)
    Posted: 17 April 2005 at 4:33pm
I've searched a bit and I can't find any information.

First off, my problem is a huge gas leak in the (I think) bolt of the gun (where you cock it).  I've tried 4 different tanks, and I had my friend take it into a shop.  They said to mail it to Tippmann, and Tippmann will fix it for free and mail it back.

Can I fix it myself?  Where do I mail it if not?
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:17pm

Theres only three places that can leak. The ASA line conection, the valve line connection, and the valve. Its probaly the valve if its near your bolt. Does it seem like the air is leaking out down your barrel? This means a bad cup or seat seal in your valve.

So the first thing I want you to do (if you are absolutly sure your lines arnt leaking) is drop 4 drops of oil into your ASA, and blank fire 30+ shots without your barrel. This will help seal everthing up. If this doesnt fix it youll need to replace your valve, or just a few parts which is a lot harder.

Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:28pm
I recall the barrel getting very cold, so most likely a bad cup seal.

What exactly is the ASA, a quick look on the parts list and www.acronymfinder.com didn't help me much.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:43pm

ASA means Air Source Adapter. Its also known as the tank adapter or just the thing you screw your tank into.

If its a bad cup seal you can just get a whole new valve, or take apart your valve and replace the plunger and valve seat o-ring for extra insurance.

Taking apart your valve isnt easy and you should have some experiance of the inside of your gun and just mechanical experiance before doing so. Directions here- http://model98.net/tts1.html

Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:13pm
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you very much.

But I can't find any part of my gun that resembles that, pictures:

Edited by Insolence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:17pm
Thats just the rear bolt. The cocking knob goes through the big hole, and the drive pin and spring throught the small middle hole. It looks somthing like this in the gun- school1144xh.jpg
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:28pm
So where's the valve?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:35pm

The whole picture is the valve. But the biggest silver thing all the way to the left is the valve body, which houses all those parts. You cant see that body by just separating your recievers, its inside the powertube (black body thing in the middle) and you must take it out along with the SS line and push out the valve from it.

Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:52pm
Thanks a lot for your help :)

I can't get the valve out of the power tube, the f'ing gas line thing won't unscrew from it, I'm afraid I'll break it if I try any harder.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2005 at 2:06pm
If you have a vise put the powertube in it and slightly tighten it. Dont forget to pad it. Once you remove the SS, get a wooden dowel or pencil and push very very hard through the thin part.
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:45pm
This sounds too dangerous, if I bought it last christmas, could I just send it into tippmann and they'll take care of it?
Hella Cool View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Screw you guys, I’m going home

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hella Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:51pm
Knock off the **edited**atronics and send it in, or give it to me, I invented the 98 Custom. 
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 9:03pm
Alright, where do I send this sucker?
pantera_101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pantera_101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 2:34pm

if youre that worried about it, send it into Tippmann. I can do it for free but why send it to me when you can send it into tippmann. Just saying.

The gas line shouldn't be too hard to unscrew. Unless, did you use all the sealant for the gas line to the power tube when you installed the RT? Must of.

So, you may need to use a little force on this one because i had to when i removed my gas line. Use a Vice-grip on the gas line connected to the power tube (on the big metal part of the gas line) and twist the gas line counter-clockwise while holding onto the power tube. This should work.

If not, mail me at: pantera_101@cogeco.ca

the snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 2:48pm

The part I circled is the valve

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 3:14pm

^ Not even close. Thats the RT cylinder. Either you dont know much about anything, or your deliberatly trying to throw him off. Heres a better diagram-

Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 11:55pm
Well, doesn't really matter, sending it in.

Where do I send it?  The Tippmann address under contact?  Also, while putting my gun back together it seems I'm missing the hopper elbow... will they replace that?
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 6:14pm
Where do I send it? 
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2005 at 9:24pm
Where do I send it, once again? =\
Insolence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insolence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 3:20am
Where do I send it..... damnit...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic