Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which pump to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Strike 1 - Poop Pic 1/10/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xTippyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which pump to buy?
    Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:28pm

Ok im tired of wasting money on cases of paint and paint. I have decided to start play pump and save up some money and stop speedball for a bit. Since there are quite a few pump players around here i would like to know a good pump to start out with. i was thinking something like a phantom, or i would save up for a while and get a ss25 from ccm. i have about $140 cash and an upped ion (can sell to get more $) Input?

thx

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:30pm

Either the Phantom or a Sniper. Are you looking into bulk or stock-class? If bulk, get the Sniper, if SC, get the Phantom. Phantoms are more efficient than Snipers, but Snipers have a lot more options for customization and upgrades.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:43pm
^Well said. I personally like Snipers better due to the customization factor. It beats out every other pump as far as I'm concerned in that category. The only way I'd say a Phantom beats a Sniper that way is if it's rocking an 8-ball pump...
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 10:53pm
The guy that created that mod works like 15 min. away from me. I might get him to 8 ball my cocker...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 11:08pm
answer the question, but i think with your available cashflow, get the phantom

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
Dan db09 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan db09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 11:09pm
Phantom
Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 4:08am
Since you're just starting, get an sl-68 II on Ebay, low maintenance, high quality (most likely).
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 4:26am

get a pgp to tinker and play with.  it will teach you alot about pump play and maintnence.  plus, it's a cheap stock class that only costs $80 new.  They're built like a tank, accurate, stock class, fairly uprgradable, compact, easy to stroke, and just overall fun to get the responses at your field. 

either way, you can't go wrong with any of the marker mentioned.  but the pgp is very cost efficiant. 

if you really enjoy pump/stock play, i'd dish out some for a nice phantom, or maybe even trick out the pgp...

have fun, and good luck

X
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 10:47pm

what's 8 ball?

and in my very limited experience id say phantom

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 25 July 2006 at 10:47pm
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 2:48pm

Between the Sniper and the Phantom, I prefer the Sniper.   The Phantom is MUCH better on C02 than the Sniper, but IMO the Phantom doesn't have enough substance for me.   I felt like I would break it if I got too rough.   The Sniper is a 'cocker based marker so barrels and accessories are everywhere.   If you go with a sniper, I suggest a side feed rather than a center-feed for sighting issues.   I love my Sniper and have shot it for several years.   It recently was moved to back-up/loaner duties after the arrival of my Carter Buzzard. 

Here is an 8-Ball pump:

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 4:13pm
^Just saw that for sale on AO.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 4:30pm
oh man thats sweet. would look cool with an all black pump, with 8 balls and cards painted on it.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Rico's Revenge Rico's Revenge wrote:

Between the Sniper and the Phantom, I prefer the Sniper.   The Phantom is MUCH better on C02 than the Sniper, but IMO the Phantom doesn't have enough substance for me.   I felt like I would break it if I got too rough.   The Sniper is a 'cocker based marker so barrels and accessories are everywhere.   If you go with a sniper, I suggest a side feed rather than a center-feed for sighting issues.   I love my Sniper and have shot it for several years.   It recently was moved to back-up/loaner duties after the arrival of my Carter Buzzard. 

i can see where you say that...  the phantom doesn't feel right for everyone, however, it will not break..  unless you drop it all the concrete and it lands on a plactic part...  keep in mind, they're supposed to be light...

X
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:59pm

I understand that, after seeing them used VERY roughly, they haven't broke yet... it is just the perception that I have.   My bad, I should have clarified that.   Thanks for clearing it up for me! 

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 3:31pm
Is the Lapco Grey Ghost really being re-released? There is supposedly a 2006 model.
Eat The Brisket
xTippyx View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Poop Pic 1/10/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xTippyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:27pm
Well I just went paintballing yesterday and got a chance to use my friends phantom, and i have decided on a phantom. I have playe pump before and im getting back into it. thx for everybodys input.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Rico's Revenge Rico's Revenge wrote:

I understand that, after seeing them used VERY roughly, they haven't broke yet... it is just the perception that I have.   My bad, I should have clarified that.   Thanks for clearing it up for me! 

they're like a toyota...
X
TEHGANGSTER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Dodging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEHGANGSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 10:03pm

make this

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar.
loco_ped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loco_ped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 2:44am
I have a Autococker that I'm stripping down to a Sniper II, well since that's what it originally was, serial 24417. I miss pump play.   

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 5:06pm
^^^is it pre 2k?  if it is, you should get fairly good efficiancy on a 12 gram...  if you're into that sort of thing...
X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic