Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann A5 won’t recock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann A5 won’t recock
    Posted: 03 January 2009 at 7:18pm
I have an 8 month old stock Tippmann A5 that has been used in several games without trouble.  No modifications whatsoever.

I recently took it completely apart, including the trigger assembly.  I carefully re-assembled the marker but am having problems.

I can cock the marker once, squeeze the trigger, and fire one ball and that's it.  It will not re-cock.  My HPA tank shows 2000+ psi.  When it fires it makes a pop followed by a short rattling sound (probably from the front/rear bolts bouncing around?)

I have tried generously lubing the marker with Hoppe's #9 but it does not seem to make a difference.

Is there a way to rule out problems with the trigger assembly?  I figure if the gun can be cocked and can then be fired, the trigger is fine.  I'm hesitant to take it apart again because of how many springs and small pieces it has.

I also appear to be missing the front bolt O-ring (part SL2-4).  It does not seem likely, but I have to wonder: would this cause the problem I am experiencing?  I have a replacement on the way but I'd like to continue diagnosing the issue in the meantime.

Thank you for your consideration.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 9:10pm
It sounds like you have something assembled incorrectly. I would suggest taking it apart again and try reassembling it. Use your manual as a guide.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 12:54am
I was hoping my description of the problem could help narrow down what might not be in the right place.  I've taken it apart a few times now but don't seem to be having any luck.
FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 2:18am
You can replace the front bolt O-ring with a tank O-ring.

As for the recocking issue: check to see if the ball detent backwards.
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 12:58pm
It's not in backwards.  I have the A5 schematic printed out to 8.5x11, laminated and placed underneath the gun as a guide while I assemble it. ;)

mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 1:00pm
UPDATE

I took a cue from the forum archives and tried tightening all of the bolts on the theory that air could be escaping from between the receiver halves.

This seems to have changed the behavior slightly.  I can now peel off ten or twenty rounds before the gun comes uncocked.  I recock it and can peel off a few more again.  Sometimes it double or triple fires but stays cocked.  I'd say this is definitely an improvement.

THE CYCLONE FEED SYSTEM isn't cycling.  I never noticed this part.  I can manually cycle it, but not from firing.  **edited** ?

I think I've tightened everything to their limit.  Is there anything else I should try?

Edited by mbac - 04 January 2009 at 1:02pm
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 1:24pm
More diagnostics.

I unscrewed the cyclone cylinder hose from the right side of the receiver, placed my finger over the banjo fitting socket (on the receiver), and fired a few test shots.  There's definitely some air coming through the receiver.  It's hard to believe that I can manually cycle the cyclone feed, but air won't cycle it.

thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 10:44pm
you might not have enough pressure.   take the ank  and screw it in  all the way.  then unscrew it about 1/8 - 1/4 a turn.  sometimes the pin that   allows the air to come out actually blocks the proper amount of air.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 11:43pm
Are you using a stabilizer or regulator?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by thejudge thejudge wrote:

you might not have enough pressure.   take the ank  and screw it in  all the way.  then unscrew it about 1/8 - 1/4 a turn.  sometimes the pin that   allows the air to come out actually blocks the proper amount of air.

Thanks! I will try this tonight and report back.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Are you using a stabilizer or regulator?

If "consistent flow technology piston" on the Pure Energy HPA Tank 48ci 3000 psi Aluminum means "regulator", then yes, I am.

FWIW, I have successfully used this tank on other markers.

But go on... why do you ask?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 12:40pm

It doesnt sound like you are getting enough pressure. Check the connection like Judge mentioned and also check the lines to make sure something isn't obstructing them. Another thing you mentioned is air coming out of the receiver halves. The receiver halves arent airtight. You really only need to tighten the reciever bolts to just snug. Overtightening can actually cause things to bind sometimes. Try loosening things up a bit if you have Gorilla cranked them. When you say it "double or triple fired", do you mean you were able to shoot off 2 or 3 individual shots or the gun fired multiple shots with one trigger pull? If this is the case, you may want to check the sear and rear bolt for wear. Perhaps they are not catching. Do you have a chrono? What is the FPS you are shooting at?

Edited by oldpbnoob - 05 January 2009 at 12:43pm
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 7:58pm
When I say  "sucks" below I mean cyclone feed does not cycle AND gun doesn't recock reliably.
  1. Tank fully tight: sucks
  2. Unscrewed 1/8 turn: sucks
  3. Unscrewed 1/4 turn (from fully tight): sucks
  4. Unscrewed 1/2 turn (from fully tight): sucks
  5. Loosened the bolts: sucks
All SUCKS.

When I say double or triple fired, I mean I pull once and it goes "pop-pop" or "pop-pop-pop".  No, I don't have a chrono. :(

I'll work up the nerve to have a look at the trigger assembly.

Any other thoughts?  Also, can anyone confirm if the front bolt o-ring is "optional"?

mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:36pm
I sanity checked the trigger assembly.  The rear bolt has a nice crisp edge, the sear has a nice crisp edge.  Blue spring under the sear, red spring to reset the trigger.  Put everything back together and test: still sucks.

I also tried changing the banjo fitting the cyclone feed connected to (how come the marker has two?)  No change.

I have to be overlooking something stupid obvious.  What could it be?

Edited by mbac - 05 January 2009 at 8:38pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:53pm

Originally posted by mbac mbac wrote:

I sanity checked the trigger assembly.  The rear bolt has a nice crisp edge, the sear has a nice crisp edge.  Blue spring under the sear, red spring to reset the trigger.  Put everything back together and test: still sucks.

I also tried changing the banjo fitting the cyclone feed connected to (how come the marker has two?)  No change.

One is for connecting an RT, the other is for the cylcone. Shouldnt make a difference which one you use.  However, whichever one you arent using should be plugged. Old style used to come with one hole and a t fitting.

I have to be overlooking something stupid obvious.  What could it be?

mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:56pm
After a thorough re-re-re-re-inspection, I noticed I'm missing the tiny o-ring that goes between the banjo fitting and the receiver.

I drenched the fitting with gun oil, connected the air, and fired.  Sure enough, oil splattered all over the place.  It's such a small little gap, it must be a millimeter.  Is this tiny little space really the cause of such a huge problem? 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:12pm

Originally posted by mbac mbac wrote:

After a thorough re-re-re-re-inspection, I noticed I'm missing the tiny o-ring that goes between the banjo fitting and the receiver.

I drenched the fitting with gun oil, connected the air, and fired.  Sure enough, oil splattered all over the place.  It's such a small little gap, it must be a millimeter.  Is this tiny little space really the cause of such a huge problem? 

Buy a couple of "small parts kits" for the A-5 and it has all the standard O-rings. Keep and extra in your toolbox for such occasions. I hope it fixes your issues. Air loss can cause loss of pressure, resulting in ......

notom66866 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 11:19pm
When you reasembled the marker you may have mistakenly switched the two larger springs in the marker.
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 11:34pm
I plugged the leak with an o-ring but the cyclone still doesn't spin when firing and the marker still doesn't re-cock!

I measured the rear drive spring at approximately 4 1/4"

Am I out of things to try?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 12:50am
What other markers have you used this tank on?  I only ask on the off-chance that it might have a low-pressure regulator.
mbac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 12:40pm
I borrowed someone else's tank (it was the same make/model tank) and had the same problem with my marker.

I've been able to use this tank in the past with my A5, but I did have it repaired recently so I can't rule out all funniness with it.  I can confirm that the tank worked on other, albeit non-Tippmann markers.

I'll have an opportunity to try a couple of tanks this weekend.

Is there anything else I can look at now?

Edited by mbac - 08 January 2009 at 12:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic