Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Goggle fans? Easy DIY...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panhead4411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Goggle fans? Easy DIY...
    Posted: 26 June 2009 at 12:29pm
Okay, so i previously had a JT vortex goggle fan, and it sucked, bad.

I had the idea to make my own rig, so i ordered some 5V, 30mm fans from some site, and got a couple battery holders, and switches from radioshack.

You can use AA, AAA, or 9V, depending on your preference, and voltage needs.  I picked AAA, b/c i thought the things said AA, turns out i was glad to have the smaller AAA, but i may switch to 9V sometime (i can get them for free)

Anywho, here is a couple pics of where i placed the two fans on my mask, i ran the wires back to the battery, and down to the switch.

$30 total to outfit both mine and my brother's masks after all said and done.

They are insanely quiet, and work very very well, just played with them in our full ghillie, on an 85 degree day that had morning thunderstorms, and they remove fog instantly, and/or prevent it (depending on if one uses them proactively or reactively).
NickVanDick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickVanDick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 1:06pm
Is that mesh hard to see threw on your mask? It looks like it might.

Looks like you did a good job with the fans.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 3:25pm
9volts are smaller. I've done that mod before, its loud.
panhead4411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panhead4411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

9volts are smaller. I've done that mod before, its loud.

Actually, this one is insanely quiet, my bro, standing not 2 feet away w/o his mask on did not notice that i was running my fans when we were just standing around after one game.  And they don't seem to hindr ones own sense of hearing as much b/c they aren't loud.

Were you running a single 5V fan off that? If so, yes, that makes in MUCH louder, and also kills the life of the motor.  But if you are running two 5V fans, make sure they are wired in series, that way each is only drawing 4.5V.

The only drawback to this particular mod, is they tend to dry my eyes out rather quickly, each fan can move 2.9 cfm, each more or less shooting straight into each eye.

Also, one thing i just thought about on the above quote, is placement makes a big difference.  The fans should have enough room to actually move air, and draw air, if they don't, they will make more noise.  My brother's mask is a good example of this, his visor only has a small amount of space in the center, whereas mine has the whole area open (relatively).  His is a smig louder than mine.

But yeah, i proply will switch to a 9V before the end of this season or start of next b/c of the size.

Originally posted by NickVanDick NickVanDick wrote:

Is that mesh hard to see threw on your mask? It looks like it might.

Looks like you did a good job with the fans.

Not really, you get used to it, to see what i mean, just stick your face up against any regular window screen, since it is basically 1 inch away from your eye, you really just see past it and your eye can't focus on it.  And since it moves with your head it doesn't make things look strange.

Edited by panhead4411 - 26 June 2009 at 4:29pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 2:36am
i used a 9v, with a 5v fan, with a transistor on voltage regulation duty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic