Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann TPX - Review (Field Review Added)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann TPX - Review (Field Review Added)
    Posted: 29 May 2009 at 11:52am
Please also see Enos' thread in the Marker Gallery, of course.

(Crappy pictures are at the bottom)

Here is (more or less) what I wrote to Tippmann after holding the TPX for the first time:

Oh.My.God.

This is, without a doubt, the best-looking paintball pistol I have ever seen. Easily in the top handful best-looking paintball guns of any type.  The visual design is absolutely amazing.  This looks like something Arnold would use.  Little-boy fantasy come true.

The feel - absolutely amazing as well.  Haven't loaded it up yet, but empty it just feels right.  The grip is a little fat, as expected, but not uncomfortably so for an adult male, and the slight oversized design is consistent for the whole gun.

The magazine ejection and insertion:  awesome.  Built-in rail:  awesome.

CO2 quick-changer:  awesome.  Excellent solution to a difficult problem.

The only question-mark before trying it out is the magazine loading process.  Pulling the little tab down on the mag might be difficult with gloves on or in field conditions.  While reloading in the field will hopefully be minimized, it will obviously happen.  We shall see.

(To load the magazine, you first pull a little tab on the side of the mag all the way down, where it locks in place.  This tab is very small.)

But pre-shooting, I cannot rave enough.

And just in case there wasn't enough awesomeness already:  The holster - it is awesome.  Ambidextrous:  awesome.  Pouches for magazines and 12gs: awesome.  Drop-leg design:  awesome.  Again, haven't tried it in action yet, but the out-of-box reaction is that this is EXACTLY how it should have been.  I had planned on spending some time looking for good holsters - I no longer have to do so.  It is expandable to fit your undermounted laser.  It is adjustable for belt use, back use, and presumably whatever-else-you-can-think-of use.  It is just a really, really nice holster. 

Of course, both the gun and the mags are "standard" shape and size with several firearms, so you can easily use a variety of non-paintball gear with the TPX as well if you choose.

Big kudos to congratulate the Tippmann design team on bringing sexy back.  This is a winner.  Assuming decent performance, if this product does not sell well, it is proof that there is no real pistol market.  Having held this and many other paintball pistols, I can not imagine even considering any other pistol.

The thing even has a clever barrel plug.  A barrel sock won't do well with the pistol design, and most places don't allow traditional sitck-in barrel plugs.  This barrel plug fits loosely but has a sock-style elastic strap.  The strap fits over the gun, and also fits on the outside of the holster.  Another great innovation.  It also fits nicely in a 12g slot in the holster.  Awesome.

I then took the gun to the local proshop/range to shoot the gun.

When I brought the gun in, the guys there (jaded old-timers who have seen a thousand paintball guns) couldn't keep their eyes off it, and couldn't wait to have their go at shooting it.  This gun just BEGS for you to pick it up and play with it.

So, after showing off the gun/mag/holster, off to shoot it.

Loading is fun.  Definitely gives me the "I am at the pistol-range popping shells in my 9mm" feel.  Easy and quick.  Be careful, though - you can jam nine balls in there if you try, which presumably would lead to bad things.

I want more mags, just because I like popping them in and out.

Shooting the TPX is fun and disappointing at the same time.  Fun because the gun is just so awesome.  Disappointing because I emotionally want it to sound and kick like a Desert Eagle, which it does not - just the same old lame paintball "pop" - but I guess you can't have everything.  Thinking of mounting my Intimidator to the end of it.

Eight rounds goes VERY fast - keep those mags handy.

With a new CO2, the first trigger pull does not shoot a ball, it just punctures the CO2 - remember this when the baddies are coming down on you.

Had a bit of air leaking out the velocity screw in the back sometimes after a new CO2, but that sealed up after a couple of shots.  Got about 18 good shots from a 12g - I would change the CO2 after the second mag.  That means that if you go in with only 1 spare mag, you don't even have to bring a spare 12g.  I also expect to see a 16-18 round aftermarket mag by Christmas.

Opening the quick-change chamber to change a not-depleted CO2 was a little hard (or I am just weak), so I just shot out some blanks before changing.

Accuracy is hard to say, since aiming a pistol one-handed is hard to do.  I could have shot it two-handed, I guess, but it way too much fun to wave the thing around while quoting movie lines.  Bonus - you can shoot it gangsta-style.  Awesome.  Now I need some of those special gangsta sights.

We all took turns shooting the gun, giggling like little girls the whole time.

Chronoing was a different matter.  It was all over the place.  Randomly ranged from 290 to 240.  Shooting fast or slow did not seem to affect the velocity.  But frankly, since my aiming is atrocious anyway, I don't plan on shooting anybody further away than 20 feet with this thing.  Better work on my fieldcraft.

For the heck of it, I unscrewed the stock barrel and put in a stock A-5 barrel.  Sticks out about two inches, and actually looks kind of cool.  Thanks to the awesome open-bottom holster, it fits just as well with the longer barrel.

A drawback:  Aftermarket barrels with fat rear ends won't fit into the TPX without some modding.  We tried to stick a 16" AA in the thing, and no dice.  And since most barrels these days have fancy designs, it could be hard to find a nice barrel to fit.

Anyway - bottom line is that I/we put about 100 rounds through it.  No breaks, no problems, perfect behavior right out of the box.  Awesomeness factor at an all-time high.  I can't wait to play.  I will be pistol-only, and show those young punks that eight rounds is all you need.

Awesome.

Now for some crappy pics:

TPX:

TPX w/A-5 barrel:

Various shots of TPX in holster:

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 1:04pm
nice. makes me want one even more now.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 2:37pm
wow Only a Lawyer would have a wet floor sign in the laundry room of his own home. The PTX looks snazzy on khakis I'll have to remember that for semi casual friday.
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

wow Only a Lawyer would have a wet floor sign in the laundry room of his own home.

lol...   Not my home, but not a bad idea.  Keep the kids from suing.

:)

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 5:33pm
Finally an answer to the most annoying question in the Tippmann vs World Challenge forums, "Can Tippmann team use sidearms?"
p shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 12:37am
I just got mine today and put 100+ rds through it all I can say is ditto  every thing rambino said !!!! this thing is amazing and incredibly accurate. I had a pretty tight chrono grouping +/- 4 fps. its amazing I hope that this is just the begining
nochaz01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 2:01pm
Thanks for fueling my desire even more! I am super excited to get my hands on one.
p shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 12:57am
update ..... I was target practicing ....  3 beer cans 20 paces 3 shots 3 kills super accurate!!!!!
Flurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 5:26am
I am looking at getting one, are they worth the cost?  Has anyone had any problems with the CO2 seal?  I have had, and heard of co2 issues on basically all other paintball pistols.  PTenforcer, Delta, ect.
It sucks being antisocial alone.
Flurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:24pm
Alright, I broke down and bought one.  I'll give my 2 cents about it once I get it.
nochaz01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 9:07am
Ok just wanted to post an update after actually using this thing yesterday. I am not going to bash it because some of the issues were my fault, I just wanted to inform everyone of the scenario and outcome. It was 90+ degrees out and as humid as it can get in Nebraska yesterday. I bought the regular paint and loaded up the tpx. Went to Chrono got 3 shots off and it broke one then jammed. Come to find out this paint was as soft as paint can possibly be. Another guy loaded field grade paint and had no problem. So after running the squegee through it a few times and cleaning it out as best as I could have I got the same paint and it fired. Shots were going all over the place though. Excited and just ready to play I took it out on the field just to discover that I was shooting spray. Each one of my shots chopped. No big deal, I am going to take it apart and clean it throroughly to see what happened. I am initially chalking it up to the heat and humidity along with the first clip of soft low grade paint.

Now the good news. When I was out there I was able to barrel tag a couple of people because of the mobility of this thing. The first guy I encountered I shot and just sprayed, chopped again, he stood up to shoot me and some guy with an X7 saved my butt which is how I broke their lines and got a couple of people.

I am hopeful as I am one of a small few that have had any significant issues so I will clean it and shoot some of the leftover higher grade paint to see what happened.
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 7:18pm
I picked up my TPX on thursday and played with it for the first time today, I was running Draxxus Blaze (a good quality hard shell paint) and broke paint in the gun after 3 shots, cleaned it out and tried it again and it broke again. Two other friends also bought the TPX and one had the regulator blow out on him and the other one kept breaking paint. I am not impressed so far, I also don't think the piercing pin isn't going in far enough into the cartridge, so after 14 shots I get a block of dry ice in the cartridge and I have to wait for it to thaw to keep firing. I give it a 2 out of 10, I will call tippmann in the am. and express my concerns. I will up date  this after I talk to them.
Kane
Flurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 12:20am
I took mine out the other day and fired 4 mags out of it.  It took 2 co2 cartridges to fire the 4 mags.  I did have a break, I used a battle swab and was able to keep shooting.  I haven't had any real problems with mine...yet.  I have been shooting Werk paintballs.  So far my largest problem is finding a mag. holder.  I have yet to have enough expierance with the item to give it a proper rating.
allanjwe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanjwe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 4:06pm
I just got my TPX for fathers day. Great gift... bad luck. I not only squeezed the trigger as hard as possible to puncture the CO2, but I had to do it multiple times. Still the hole was not big enough. I also had air coming out the back of the gun. I was able to get of 1 shot per CO2. I tried about 6 CO2's.  I am sending it into Tippmann so they can fix it.

Lets wait and see......
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 9:54pm
the air coming out of the back of the gun is your regulator, if you adjust it that will stop. To adjust it go to the manual and it explains how to do it. My friend had the same problem and that's all he did to fix it. Make sure you use good paint in it or you'll be stripping it a lot !
Kane
nochaz01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 11:20am
I think its time to get a poll going on the best paint to use in the TPX. I will look when I get home at what I used this past weekend that caused all of the issues. It seems like the type of paint is the leading cause as to why this thing is chopping. I took mine apart and cleaned it, paint was everywhere but there was not a single piece that would have been causing the chopping. Anyone who knows how to start a poll want to get one started so we can chime in with what works and what doesn't?
KemperC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KemperC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:26pm
I was so excited to get this gun. All i can say is I would rather have my money back. It should have come with a warning on the box "not intended for actual paintball shooting" Ball chops every clip. **edited** tippmann?  And yes I have tried many types of paint, adjusted the velocity etc., I was an expert at dismantling and cleaning the gun after the 1st day i got it. I'm very dissapointed.  I've bought Tippmann guns for over 12 or so years now and they've always been reliable. what happened with this pistol?
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:32pm
Triumph was the paint I had break in mine first, then I had blaze break but I hadn't stripped it to clean it first. I have stripped the gun and tried 16 shots threw it and didn't break with blaze so far. What brand of cartridge is everyone using? I am using crossman and they don't seem to pierce that great.
Kane
paintballer19952 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer19952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 10:45pm
id go buy some copperhead at walmart you get like 15 for 10 bucks i dont own a tpx {i wish i did] but in my pistol they pierce easly
formaly pb 1995
nochaz01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:06pm
I didn't have any Co2 issues so I will take that as a plus. I just emailed the course to find out what paint brand they had in order to find out what started the issue. I plan on trying more of their field brand paint since the marker is now cleaned totally out. I wlll post the brand and results as soon as I can. This marker looks solid when you take it apart. Biggest weakness is that when there is a break it goes EVERYWHERE!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic