Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 c won't re-cock bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 c won't re-cock bolt
    Posted: 12 March 2010 at 7:54pm
I just bought a 98 custom used and when i fire it, the bolt won't completely re-cock itself. i can cock it by hand and it will shoot again, but i still have to cock the bolt by hand until it clicks before i can shoot again. i just put some oil in it and my co2 tank is full, but it's still not working. could it be the spring behind the bolt or what???
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:47pm
Check the condition of the bolt o-ring and the sear spring.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 2:40pm
Also make sure you aren't overtightening the receiver bolts.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 7:26pm
The bolt o rings and sear spring are in great shape ill try loosening the receiver boltsand see what that does i guess...
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:44pm
i loosened the receiver bolts and oiled it better but it still won't cock after a shot. It is a lot closer though if that makes sense, I don't have to pull it back quite as far as i have been, but it still isn't working. Any other ideas??
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 12:50am
I guess if you've had it apart recently you could check that the ball detent is installed properly.

You should also give us a list of any after-market parts/upgrades.
Jollyroger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollyroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 12:25pm
just an idea. Make sure when you put the rear bolt spring in, that it is in the center hole of the rear plug, if its offset, it may cause the bolt not to travel back. Also check the power tube and front bolt, with the reciever half off and the valve/power tube screwed on, does the frond bolt slide easy? My wifes gun had this problem, we just installed a rufus dawg wicked front bolt and hers was sticking, i had to modfy the tube. if yours is stock you souldnt have to do that. but check it anyways
98 Custom Platinum
Flatline
Bipod
Adjustible Stock
Rufus Dawg Wicked Front Bolt/Power Tube
Expansion Chamber
M4 Style Handle/Sight
Taco Speed Hopper
20 OZ CO2 Tank W/Neoprene Cover
All Camoed
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 1:06pm
^^^ Part of the reason most of us on here avoid after-market internal parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollyroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 1:18pm
very true mack, but its funny, i installed the wicked bolt on three 98's that day including mine. hers was the only one that gave me problems
98 Custom Platinum
Flatline
Bipod
Adjustible Stock
Expansion Chamber
M4 Style Handle/Sight
Taco Speed Hopper
All Camoed
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 3:34pm
actually, i did install a starfire front bolt, I've also got a car stock double trigger and flatline barrel. When you say that you had to modify the tube, what are you referring to?
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 3:37pm
Oh, and the rear bolt spring is centered. The upper spring is in place as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollyroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 6:19pm
well on the rufus dawg bolt, the bolt is not open like on the stock and star bolt, it is concave to cradle the ball and has a cross in it to direct air al around the ball fo better shots. When the bolt is in the cocked posistion, the cross recedes into the power tube, well, the holes were not cut right on my wifes power tube. it wasnt centered. so when the valve/tube was screwed on, the bolt had a hard time being cocked because it didnt line up. i took an Xacto knife and opened the holes more so the bolt would work properly. You wll not hav to do this with a star bolt. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe you have the wrong pin in the trigger sear. the big black one goes it the trigger sear, and the little silver ones are the reciever pins. but i am not sure is posible to switch these. When you say the top spring is centered too, i am asuming you have ACT. no i am at a lose to suggest anything else. I dont not have act on my gun, so maybe the probem lies somewhere in that system. i dont know anything about it so i cant help you any further
98 Custom Platinum
Flatline
Bipod
Adjustible Stock
Expansion Chamber
M4 Style Handle/Sight
Taco Speed Hopper
All Camoed
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:15pm
Did the marker work before you put the aftermarket bolt on? If so, remove it and see if it works again. Also check the depth of the hole in the car stock to that in the stock end cap. Try putting the marker back to stock and see what happens. Add accessories until it stops working and you have your culprit.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:26pm
Okay, i know the sear has the right pin in it, i had my gun apart yesterday. I guess i'll try what oldpbnoob suggested. a friend innstalled the mods so i'll have to get the stock end cap, front bolt, and trigger from him to try that out
mpound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 4:08pm
ok, i hate to bring up an old post like this, but i realized that i should just to help anyone else who has had this problem. what i discovered was that the double trigger was ultimately the culprit (i still can't fathom why). but when i would shoot it with the double trigger installed, it would take the bar that connects the front and rear bolts and set it further back in the rear bolt. I'm assuming that this made it so there was too much spring pressure on the rear bolt and so it wouldn't re-cock. anyways i removed the double trigger and put the stock trigger back on, then made sure that the arm that connects the two bolts was set in the notch as far forward on the rear bolt as possible and problem solved. I'm still using the star fire bolt and it has worked like a dream ever since. I think that maybe the double trigger shouldn't be used with any 98 c's with ACT. maybe thats something that tippmann should look into, or maybe i just have a fluke gun, but its working well now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic