Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas operated automatic PB guns?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas operated automatic PB guns?
    Posted: 24 November 2005 at 10:10pm

This puzzles me:

Why are there not mechanically operated paintball guns? Yeah, there's that response trigger thing, but that blows more gas then a fat man. Why doesn't any company just copy the design of a simple blow-back submachine gun? I mean it does kind of have a blow-back design already, but why not make the trigger mechanism the same? It'd be very easy. I personally modified my M98 so that the seer pin slips, however the rate of fire was so fast it couldn't chamber a round. This reminds me of when you're messing around with semi-auto rifles and push down the seer pin, but the hammer rides the bolt forward and doesn't strike the firering pin with enough force to set off the next round. However, if you were to get something to delay it by maybe a quarter second, it'd work. That delay could easily be made a la properly functioning trigger and seer. It'd be extremely easy, and I could do it myself if I had a machine shop.

Tippmann should definately look into this, it'd be extremely easy.

Also, I made this thing that bolts around the gun and has this crank kind of thing that the charging handle bumps into when it goes back and forth. A nut on it can vary the resistence, and when adjusted properly it delays it just enough so that it firers automatically.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 11:28pm
they already had markers like this.  the Tippmann F/A and the SMG 60.  they quit making them becuase full-auto became outlawed.
X
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 12:37am
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 12:39am
Becuase most fields would ban it.
Destroy_Boy View Drop Down

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 11:55am

I'm not talking about paintball feilds with those big inflatable things, I think that kind of stuff is dumb(no offense intended). I play in the woods and on the beach and stuff.

But illegal? 

Also, aren't there those paintball feilds called like "war games" or something, where they're set in the woods with bunkers and they don't care about velocity or automatic fire?

fishsticks View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Better than a sharp stick in the eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Destroy_Boy Destroy_Boy wrote:

Also, aren't there those paintball feilds called like "war games" or something, where they're set in the woods with bunkers and they don't care about velocity or automatic fire?

Yes there are many, many fields set in the woods with bunkers... and because of insurance purposes and safety reasons they ALL care about velocity and automatics.

A gun is not a weapon... It's a tool. Like a butcher knife, or a harpoon, or...uh, a...an alligator.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 3:06pm

high velocity + automatic fire =lawsuits, bad points for out sport, and perhaps banning of personal markers.......funny how 1+1 can equil three......

X
sneaky_sniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - inappropriate link 01/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneaky_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 3:12pm

damn, when i finally figure out what 1+1 ='s        people go and change it around on me!

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sneaky_sniper/Invader_Zim.jpg">

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:40pm

"high velocity + automatic fire =lawsuits"

No, I believe 1000 fps is when it counts as a "fire arm". Besides, if you can fire it at people in semi-auto, automatic won't matter. And also, if that were true, what about the electronically operated automatic guns? I know it's not true automatic, but still.

It's probably a state or city thing for where you live.

But seriously, I think I remember reading that 1000fps is the cut off.

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:42pm
And from the lawyers point of view, I can see limits on velocity, but certainly not automatic fire. The only way I'd believe that they don't make blow-back designs due to law suits is if I heard it from someone who works at Tippmann.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:48pm

Mechical full auto is relatively complicated.  Mechanical SELECT FIRE capability is quite complicated.

Electro full auto and select fire is cheap and easy, which is why most electros have full auto capability.

There is a very limited market for full auto only guns - hence the F/A and SMG are both out of production.  There is a significant market for select fire guns - hence most electros have select fire.

The real issue is select fire.  As long as most fields prohibit full auto, very few people will buy a gun that cannot shoot semi.

And, BTW, not all fields prohibit full auto.  I have played both indoor and outdoor fields with no restrictions on modes whatsoever.  Velocity restriction, yes, but not modes.  And I can vouch for the psychological effect of an A-5 with stubby barrel shooting full auto in a confined space.   :)

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:54pm

Yeah I've played on feilds that where they don't care about automatic fire.

And I have to tell you though, select fire isn't anything hard at all. Actually, if you didn't mind full-auto only, it'd be easier to make than semi-auto, because you could if that were the case you wouldn't need a seer pin. But seriously, select fire wouldnt be that big of a deal. On safe, the firering pin(or in this case bolt-need valve thing) is blocked, put it on semi-auto, and the seer pin is there. More it a step farther, and the seer is now out of the way, and you can fire full auto. I'll have to find a schematic for the trigger housing of a grease gun or something. 

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:59pm

ALSO!!!

Why are all semi-automatic paintball guns blow-back? Why isn't there a gas operated gun that has a piston to unlock the bolt and open up the breech for the next round? That'd be more gas effecient than a blow-back. Also, why are there holes in some of the paintball barrels? While it quiets it, the gas behind the ball is dispursed, and you loose alot of energy. Why is this?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:02pm

There are plenty of mech guns that aren't blowback.  Autocockers and Automags come to mind.  Blowback is just a simple and cheap design.

If you have a great idea, go ahead and make it - there will be a market for you.

The holes in the barrels are to allow gradual dissipation of the air pressure, which helps with accuracy.

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:17pm

How is that? I guess because of the lack of rifling.

So why not have a rifled barrel?

Hell, why not make smaller, bullet shaped paintballs that fire out of a rifled barrel?

Other then the fact that the market is already mass producing the .68 cal balls...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:29pm

If you run some searches, you will find the answers to all those questions and more...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Destroy_Boy Destroy_Boy wrote:

"high velocity + automatic fire =lawsuits"

No, I believe 1000 fps is when it counts as a "fire arm". I never said it was a firearm.  I don't think that's true anyhow.  I've seen low power bullets that fire 850fps.  It doesn't even matter if it's a firearm anyway.   Besides, if you can fire it at people in semi-auto, automatic won't matter. Acutally, it would.  People sometimes panic and hold the trigger down.  this results in overshooting and lots of meaningless pain.  And also, if that were true, what about the electronically operated automatic guns? Just because they have a full-auto setting doesn't mean it's allowed on the fields.  They have a semi-auto setting for a reason.  I know it's not true automatic, but still.

It's probably a state or city thing for where you live.

But seriously, I think I remember reading that 1000fps is the cut off.

X
sneaky_sniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - inappropriate link 01/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneaky_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 1:32am
do i have to go over this again, it doesnt matter how much air pressure is in it, and how fast it goes, if it runs on air, its an air gun, theyre called FIRE arms because of the propellent is set on FIRE and causes gasses to exspand and force the projectile out of the muzzil, no matter how fast it goes i dont care if its 534,532,532,452,345fps, unless it uses some form of FIRE to propell it, its not a FIRE arm, if it uses air, its and air gun
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sneaky_sniper/Invader_Zim.jpg">
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 3:38am
also, a company won't make a mech full-auto marker just because 1 field allows full-auto. 
X

Strike 2 - idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destroy_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 9:54am

"do i have to go over this again, it doesnt matter how much air pressure is in it, and how fast it goes, if it runs on air, its an air gun, theyre called FIRE arms because of the propellent is set on FIRE and causes gasses to exspand and force the projectile out of the muzzil, no matter how fast it goes i dont care if its 534,532,532,452,345fps, unless it uses some form of FIRE to propell it, its not a FIRE arm, if it uses air, its and air gun"

My thoughts exactly, however I do recall seeing/hearing about a 1000 fps projectile limit before it's considered a "weapon".

"also, a company won't make a mech full-auto marker just because 1 field allows full-auto. "

Yes, which is why you would have a select fire switch/lever to toggle between semi- and fully-automatic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic