Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

artificial muzzle flash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: artificial muzzle flash
    Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:25pm
wouldn't it be cool for milsim/scenario games to have a barrel that created like a fake muzzle flash to look more like a real gun.im not sure how you would do it yet,it just came to me during second hour and i havent really thought about it.you could use an unported barrel too,so it would sound more realistic,although a paintball gun doesnt really sound like a real gun
signature
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:34pm
Wouldnt that really give away your position?
Curlyman666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:37pm
yeah it wouldnt be practical for a serious game,but real soldiers have to deal with muzzle flash dont they?
signature
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:56pm
soldiers don't have to deal with CO2 clouds though.
98customkidd. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98customkidd. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 6:42pm
nor do they have to deal with guns that only shoot 150+ feet
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:24pm
Muzzle flash isn't much of an issue unless you're firing at night. I've never had problems with it. A real gun si friggin' LOUD though- if you're firing live rounds, you'd better have earplugs in or your hearing will do bye-bye if you get into a firefights. It's easy to forget this when you train all the time using blanks. They're much quieter...

It would be neat to have a fake muzzle flash, but I'm not sure how you'd do it...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
x-mo-x View Drop Down
strike 3, language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-mo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 11:31am

humm well on the standard m16 or c7 (Canada) the muzzle flash is pretty *bad* when your trying to shoot at night cause if you notice on a m16 or c7 the tip of you barrel is milled on top and not at the bottom to reduce the up kick of the weapon witch at the same time brings the most of the muzzle flash up in your sights..

but for your hearing as long as you a bit behind your team and not in front of there muzzle you should be OK (but still) lol!!

I guess it would be cool but with no definite use for paintball scenario play cause most of then are played in the day time witch make your muzzle flash thingny useless!!!!

well that was my $0.02 lol

Edited by Reb Cpl
Eyes up this one's for you!!! Brought to you by the Canadian Guy!!!
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 11:49am

This is so funny to think about because I go to great lengths to get rid of the flash signature on all my rifles. Installing a Vortex flash suppressor from Smith Enterprises would solve the opposite of your idea.

You do see muzzle flash in the day, just not to the same degree as at night because relative lighting. All it is is burning powder and hot gasses.

How to make a flash on your paintball gun? I don’t even think it is safe enough to try experimenting so I wouldn’t try this, but maybe you could replace your C02 tank with a propane tank. Then attach a piezio igniter to your trigger and run the wires up to gapped electrodes at the crown of your barrel. You would be a walking firebomb but if it shot… a response trigger would give you a flamethrower.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 12:44pm
Hey x-mo-x, what kind of familairity have you got with the C-7, out of curiosity? Are you in the military? Personally, I love that weapon. I can't say flash has ever been a PROBLEM on it for me- it's noticeable, but really the biggest concern is that it tends to give away your position. You won't eliminate it compeltely though, so that's always going to be an issue- and the effectieness of the flash suppressor directing the exhaust up to counter recoil is debateable... The weapon still climbs like crazy on automatic fire regardless.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 6:04pm
all the m4s ar 15 and the like ive fired have had muzzle breaks on them... those are ment to reduce the muzzle flash... i think
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 6:56pm

Most serious shooters (ie target shooters) go with the flash suppressors. A flash hider/suppressor disperses the burning powder and hot gasses to prevent a flash signature.

Your full-auto carbines and very high power rifles will have muzzle breaks. These vent the hot gases so as to absorb a large portion of the rifle’s recoil. It does this at the expense of making it really loud. If you have a spotter you may hit him with the vented gases on a hi-cal rifle.

Compensators are an unusual type of porting near the end of the muzzle on the top. As you fire, the muzzle wants to climb, but the hot gasses force out the compensator through the top porting and push the muzzle back down. They are kind of iffy and depend on different loads but the rapid shot pistol target shooters swear by them.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:09pm

You could put some bright LED's on the tip of your barrel. Then put a 9volt (and resistors if needed). And a micro switch behind the trigger.

Bam...Muzzle flash. But I still dont see its usefulness.

Curlyman666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 8:13pm

ok i see your point i just thought it would be kinda cool,but i guess i shoulda thought about it more before i posted,it is kinda a dumb idea

signature
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 8:17pm
It was an alright idea. Atleast it didnt involve explosives, paintknifes, and shotgun/bazookas.
Bugg View Drop Down
One screw up and all screen names go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 9:01am
Ehh, muzzle flahs wiull freak cops out then you're screwed.

You know some idiot will try and rob a bank with that...
Klaus View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Filterdodge - 7/21

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

How to make a flash on your paintball gun? I don’t even think it
is safe enough to try experimenting so I wouldn’t try this, but
maybe you could replace your C02 tank with a propane tank.
Then attach a piezio igniter to your trigger and run the wires up
to gapped electrodes at the crown of your barrel. You would be
a walking firebomb but if it shot… a response trigger would give
you a flamethrower.</SPAN>

oh god no....
I know you were just kinda tossing the idea out, so I'm not
complaining or anything about you posting it
..but...my friend Joe Jedynak (likes to do projects and stuff)
modified some propane adapter hose to fit a paintball gun. He
used his 98c, and one of the stick lighter things...he shot, pretty
cool burst of flame-porting looked awesome with the flame...but
it didnt toss a ball far, smelled like poop in an oven (propane
scent) and totally melted the little orange thing in his bolt (ball
detent?)...but still, we all thought it was cool...till he ran too low
on propane, and his gun started that machine-gun sound...he
had already lit the first burst, and the flame sustained itself, so
since it was a little green tank with no shutoff valve, he was
freaking out while the gun sprayed flame for like 20
seconds...no serious damage to the gun, except he really had
to scrub to get the burnt paint residue out of the barrel and bolt

moral of the story is...dont use propane...
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 11:17am
Dammit Klaus, how did I know that YOU would have some kind of crazy story on this subject? That's hilarious- I can just imagine that, buddy crapping his pants while his 98C does the fire breathing dragon routine for what must have seemed like five minutes...

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 11:19am
Actually, an idea on this subject. Get a camera flashbulb and capacitor,with a thin orange screen over the bulb. Rework the electronics so that the capacitor is back on the main body of the marker, adn the flash itself is right under the muzle. Hook it up to a bunch of batteries running in series, so the capacitor can charge really quickly. Rig a small solenoid or just a pressure switch as a trigger stop, so every time you fire the marker the capacitor will release power through the orange-filmed flashbulb. It won't be amazing, but it would have a bit of the effect, and would be worth a few looks. If you're REALLY good, make a fake frontsight post, and build it into that for visual camouflage. Be a neat project...

Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 1:32pm
And when Klaus admits that something is a bad idea...
x-mo-x View Drop Down
strike 3, language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-mo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 5:49pm

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Hey x-mo-x, what kind of familairity have you got with the C-7, out of curiosity? Are you in the military? Personally, I love that weapon. I can't say flash has ever been a PROBLEM on it for me- it's noticeable, but really the biggest concern is that it tends to give away your position. You won't eliminate it compeltely though, so that's always going to be an issue- and the effectieness of the flash suppressor directing the exhaust up to counter recoil is debateable... The weapon still climbs like crazy on automatic fire regardless.

yes i was in the force. not any more do to an injury to my knee.

but i understand the questionable use of the upward milled muzzle well for single shooting and burst the muzzle but on auto its a different story not cause of the muzzle but do to the bolt that rams in the bottom of the stock at high speeds and at a rapid rate is the mane cause of the major upward force the C-7 makes on auto.

and there you have it! if you got more question on any gun or so you can pm me OK. 

Eyes up this one's for you!!! Brought to you by the Canadian Guy!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic