Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Response Trigger Won’t Tune

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response Trigger Won’t Tune
    Posted: 27 May 2007 at 11:44am
Hey guys,

I purchased a response trigger, installed it correctly, and I can't get it to tune. The piston itself is firing, but with enough force to affect trigger operation. I was baffled by the problem and took it into a Pev's pro shop where the worked on it for a week and couldn't solve the problem. There just seems to not be enough air pressure to fire the piston with enough force to serve a function. Here's the trick: they tried a super rt kit on it as well with no avail. The really stupid part is that I'm using CO2 for now; there really shouldn't be any pressure problems unless they were using a crappy tank, and they weren't using mine... so it's not working on two separate tanks, which would seem to preclude that as being the problem.

Any ideas?
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 6:22pm
Where did you get the R/T kit from? It might be defective. Try returning it if possible and getting another kit.
98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 7:40pm
Oil up the piston housing and also turn the screw in all the way to make sure the r/t is working. It should get really hard to pull the trigger.
Still Naive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 4:31pm
1) Purchased the RT at a Pev's store. As part of their maintenance attempt, they replaced the kit and it was a no-go.

2) I tried oiling the housing and screwing it all the way in. It didn't get too difficult to pull the trigger, but the piston definitely fired when I pulled the trigger. It just didn't fire very hard and didn't affect the trigger operation very significantly.

Edited by Still Naive - 28 May 2007 at 4:31pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 5:16pm
Well, your r/t is not working. If it is screwed in all the way, the trigger would be near to impossible to fire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 10:25pm
Well, obviously... I wouldn't be posting here if it was working :P

They attempted to replace it with a new kit and it didn't work either. They're not a fly-by-night retailer, and they get their parts genuine from Tippmann. Is there another possible culprit here that could cause it not to work?
UV Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UV Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:18pm
Which type of marker (98/A5/X7) are you using?  Are there any other mods on the marker?

Is the R/T adjustment screw all the way open(counterclockwise)?  Turning the screw in restricts the airflow and thus causes a weaker push from the piston.

Is the powertube attachment point (the part the elbow threads into) cracked?

Is your tank running low?  I'm not saying the techs are dumb (I'm a regular customer of theirs myself) but, you always want to be certain.  Just lookup my LP Kit thread to see why it's important to be thorough.

Have you tried HPA?  At either the pro-shop or by borrowing a buddy's tank?
M98C- W/QwkStrpCut

Comp Air & Palmer Fatty Stab

Gas-Thru Stock

Lapco Sight Rail W/ADCO 30MM EDOT

Qloader W/ CMS

Freak SS W/Stif-Tip * Flatline * Armson Stealth
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:44pm
Mine did this a few years ago and the culprit turned out to be a very small piece of balled up teflon tape that was stuck in the adjustment valve of the RT.

When I took it apart and saw a small black string hanging out of the fitting that screws into the body of the marker I pulled it. It came out in pieces of black teflon goo. I know that teflon tape is normally white, but from years of absorbing oil it had turned into a black gelatinous mass of goo.

I know that you said you replaced the RT. So this shouldn't be the issue. But...if you only replaced parts of it...you may want to remove the RT fittings from the receiver and make sure they are not plugged with debris of some sort. Same goes for all the hoses.
It doesn't take much junk in those little lines to foul up the works.
RLTW
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:06pm

If it isn't something clogged in the lines, it probably has a leak somewhere. The only kind of upgrade that could restrict the r/t would be a cyclone as it uses the same excess gas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:30pm
1) It's an A-5

2) I have an aftermarket powertube that is aluminum, so it shouldn't be cracked.

3) I tested it myself with an HPA tank that was newly filled and it's still not tuning. I just bought a tank, so I suppose that will play a role in what I do next (i.e. super RT, etc.)

I've undergone the very scientific method of blowing into the tubing to test air flow and it seems to be unobstructed. I'm still working on it, and I'll let you guys know as soon as I do what was wrong with it; in the meantime, if anyone else has any other possibilities I can try and rule out as I bang my head on my desk and scare the crap out of my downstairs neighbors, feel free :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:33pm
Air flow into the piston seems fine too after using the very scientific method of blowing really hard into the little fitting while keeping my tongue in the back of my mouth to avoid tasting gun oil.

So I'm a tard, what can you do?
GBLoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBLoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:04am
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the small o-ring on top of the piston unit.  This is the part visible in the trigger frame that fits into the upper receiver.  The o-ring had a small, needed a maginifier to see it, nick.  This nick was enough to prevent the trigger from working properly.  Replaced it and used lithium grease on it and haven't had a problem since.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:49am
Yes, it is definately a leak or the powertube is restricting itself from letting the r/t have enough excess gas. It is most likely a leak, because I have never heard of a powertube restricting air flow. If you take off the R/T hose to the powertube and put your finger in front of the hole then fire the gun, your finger should feel alot of air come out. Try that to rule out another possibility.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:45pm
I dry fired a few shots with my finger against the tube and there was air coming from the tube.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:52pm

As long as it was a decently strong rush of air, the powertube is doing its job.

You are having some bad luck with your r/t though. I haven't heard of a case this bad. Is the piston o-ring in perfect condition?

Sheriff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 2:52pm
Hey Naive,

I know where you're coming from, I just bought an RT like two days ago for my 98 and I had the exact same problem...couldn't get any pressure...even though the RT piston was moving, it wasn't giving me any resistance or rapid fire.  I doubt it's your o-rings, and you explained that the line is clear of obstruction...so try this out.

The trick for me was to put thread tape, or lock tight on the two banjo fitting screws that came with the kit.....this was an instant fix for me...the Rt worked perfect after that...well...sort of...it took me a long ass time to tune it to my liking....but once you have pressure and the trigger is working properly, just tune it according to the instructions....put the velocity adjustment screw all the way in, then do 1/4 turns and fire till you find the rate of fire you like....do this dry, no paint...its a waste.  So there you go, my guess is that you are losing pressure through the two screws on the banjo...lock tight those  guys and I'm almost certain you'll have it up and running....let me know how it goes,

Hope this helps....good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 8:18pm
For those of you who were curious as to what it was (I'm sure you were all on the edge of your seats!), I sent the gun into Tippmann after two different pro-shops were at a loss regarding my response trigger. It's now working, thank God, and the list of things they replaced is a riot.

- Flow connector bolt w/o-ring
- End Cap Assembly (this one was expensive)
- Response Trigger Cylinder
- Pin Dowel Knurl Black DP (?!) 1/8
- Pin Dowel Knurl 1/8 x 3/4 (my pin dowel knurls hurt!)
- A-5 Bolt Plug
- A-5 Rear Bolt
- Trigger Return Slide Spring
- Banjo Tee Fitting RT
- Response Trigger Flow Connector
- Sear
- Sear Spring
- Trigger Plate Left
- Trigger Plate Right
- Partridge
- Pair tree

...holy crap. It looks like they basically just started replacing stuff until it finally worked. Whatever, I'm not complaining, the RT rocks faces!

Edited by Still Naive - 18 June 2007 at 8:19pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:25am
Did you have to pay for that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Still Naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:06am
$30. Can't argue too much considering all they replaced.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

If it isn't something clogged in the lines, it probably has a leak somewhere. The only kind of upgrade that could restrict the r/t would be a cyclone as it uses the same excess gas.

Robo, thank you very much.  I'd been having some erratic operation with my R/T, but it hadn't yet gotten serious enough for me to get around to messing with it.  After reading your post, I checked the air lines and found the rear fitting had worked itself quite loose.  Tightened it and the R/T works like a champ again.  (Sometimes it the simple things. )

Originally posted by Still Naive Still Naive wrote:

Air flow into the piston seems fine too after using the very scientific method of blowing really hard into the little fitting while keeping my tongue in the back of my mouth to avoid tasting gun oil.

So I'm a tard, what can you do?

That's the same way I checked mine, and I've been playing for longer than I care to admit. 

One of Murphy's Laws of Combat states:  It it's stupid, but it works; it's not stupid.

Edited by Mack - 19 June 2007 at 1:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic