Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100% Mineral Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaINtToXiN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100% Mineral Oil
    Posted: 12 June 2004 at 4:33pm
I prefer only the best for my Tippmann. That is why when it comes to oil I want the best also.  I've done a wide search on the forum and msds, and found that hoppes#9 and lubriplate are the #1 recommended for Tippmans, and that air tool oil is great for stabs.  The two oils available to me were gunslick gun oil, and Pneumatic tool lubricant, also have 3 in one multi-purpose oil. After MSDS told me that they all had additives like stoddard solvent, i quickly cleaned my gun and o-rings (which were swelling). So after buying a bunch of crappy oils that are no good to me I went out and bought some light usp mineral oil. After all lubriplate and hoppes 9 is said to be pure white mineral oil. Which cant be true because mineral oil doesn't smell.  Wondered if any one had any comments.
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2004 at 6:50pm

The pnuematic tool oil will work good.

Mineral oil?

Hoppes #9 Lubricating Oil can be found at any gun store.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
20snipercat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20snipercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2004 at 7:00pm
mineral oil........oderless, , and colorless.........very lubricating, but I wouldn't reccomend it on a paintball gun(it's in the medical cabinet at our house).
PaINtToXiN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaINtToXiN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2004 at 7:37pm

Originally posted by Kevin Z Kevin Z wrote:

The pnuematic tool oil will work good.

Mineral oil?

Hoppes #9 Lubricating Oil can be found at any gun store.

Hi thanks...you should read the post.  Mineral oil is the #1 ingredient in hoppes and pnuematic tool oil.  In fact hoppes states that they are pure. And I didn't know you've been to every gun store! Thats impressive.

maroon out View Drop Down
Not "moron" - Geez!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maroon out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2004 at 10:38pm
Hoppes actually isn't COMPLETLY pure mineral oil. It has a small amount of chemicals to help remove powder from barrels.

But it shouldn't harm your marker.
Watch your thoughts they become words
Watch your words they become actions
Watch your actions they become habits
Watch your habits they become character
Watch your character it becomes your destin
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2004 at 10:53am

I don't know where you got the idea that it is pure mineral oil, even if it is,(I don't know)there is a difference at least in thickness between the hoppes and the mineral in your medicine cabinet. The bottle of mineral oil your sister uses to sun tan with would not be good in your Marker.
Hoppes #9

I could not find anything that had the ingredience.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2004 at 11:01am

Here is an MSDS Hoppes #9 lubricating oil It is in fact mineral oil.

Just say NO to junk mods
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2004 at 12:49pm
heck, I found Hoppes 9 at my local K-Mart. Just go back to the gun section and look for it. It came with a barrel cleaning brush.
PaINtToXiN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaINtToXiN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2004 at 8:44pm
Palmer's Pursuit Shop got back to me by email, and stated that mineral oil works great, even for the stab.  I got 500ml of mineral oil for $2. canadian, it is pure and great for o-rings. I have used it for aprox. 3000 shots, and have seen no difference in performance or wear.
If my posts seem strange it is because dial-up gives me too much time to think.

A-5, Flatilizer.
bafrank@att.net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bafrank@att.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2005 at 10:30am

Originally posted by maroon out maroon out wrote:

Hoppes actually isn't COMPLETLY pure mineral oil. It has a small amount of chemicals to help remove powder from barrels.

But it shouldn't harm your marker.

Hoppe makes several products, but there seems to be confusion as to which to use in your marker. As an avid competition pistol shooter I know their products well. Hoppe's #9 has always been the cleaning chemical which contains solvents designed to remove gun powder residue and metal fouling in the barrel. Hoppe also makes a gun oil, more than just a "pure" mineral oil, it is a high quality lubricating oil and IT IS RECOMMENDED BY TIPPMANN.

Paintball residue is water soluable. When you want to completely clean your marker, take it apart, setting aside the small parts, and spray it with hot water. Oil residue will come off by adding a little dish detergent to a sink full of hot water. Use a soft brush, like a tooth brush, to clean all the nooks and cranies, Rinse with hot water and dry. The receiver of the Tippmann is an aluminum alloy. Gas chamber valves and the hammer are steel (I wouldn't emerse the marker's internal parts in a sink full of water). Both will corrode if left wet for long periods of time. Dry the receiver and parts well.

Some advocate running the disassembled receiver through the dishwasher. That has some advantages, but be aware that the detergents used in automatic dishwashers tend to etch aluminum parts. I have had no problems with the 98 receiver going through the dishwasher but on one occasion I dropped the aftermarket aluminum bolt into the silverware basket. The aluminum was etched by the detergent so that the outside surface was rough to the feel. In use I was breaking paint. (I guess that the next ball comming down the feed was abraided by the rough side of the bolt) I then polished the bolt with a buffing wheel and no longer had problems with proken paint.

One last little point, the dishwasher is pretty powerful and may remove paint. If you have ever touched up the paint on the gun with a can of spray paint, that will definately be lifted or removed by the machine.

Bruce A. Frank, Old School
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:27pm

Clean with Isopropyl Alcohol. Not only is it a degreaser, it removes moisture from everything. It cuts old, dirty oil and paintball residue without causing rust. Just make sure to oil the o-rings after applying the alcohol over them, since they will dry out.

I use Java, Kingman's oil. It works, but there is still signs of wear on my parts. Once I use it all up, I'll try Hoppes.

A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg