Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCustom 98 Modifications That Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom 98 Modifications That Work
    Posted: 23 June 2004 at 3:04pm

98 Custom, Responce Trigger. Polished Internals, Empire 4 Piece Barrel Kit, GTA Expansion Chamber, Universal Drop Forward 5", BSA Red Dot Sight (Great For Snipers) Polished Aluminum Power Tube, 3000psi - 88 Cubic Inch HPA Air Tank. Empire Sound Activated Hopper.

After I made the modifications I had to cut the Green (Madman Low Pressure Spring) back just to keep the velocity at 280 fps. The polishing allows the gun to recycle faster than the responce trigger can keep up with it. (RT Disconnected). Noise Level reduced substantially. The gun can't be heard from 50'. Just a swoosh and splat. Accuracy is about 8" at 100 feet. Thats 7 out of 10 Balls in a 8" group. Shoots about 12 balls per second ( Measured on a ball counting chrono with a experienced shooter. Gun stands against all guns in woods ball and gives speed ballers a run for their money. Ball distance (Effective RangeElevating gun) 200'. Balls used 32 Degree Competition. 5 Cases of balls fired with no breaks.

Edited by Hackman2
One Shot One Kill - To Hell with 20 balls per second
Hackman2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2004 at 8:35pm
Just put a Palmer Stabalizer on. Running at 480psi. Chronoing at 280fps +/- 8fps one out of 10 shots. Every air smith I asked said it wouldn't work. This things the bomb. Approximately 1400 balls per 3000psi 88ci air fill. Accuracy outstanding.
hashi2008 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Racial Slur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2004 at 8:46pm
 You got any pics of it? I searched and couldn't find any. Please post some soon. I would like to see this gun.
wolfnite4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2004 at 8:49pm

so, are u bragging. cause thats pretty cool no doubt. but what was the point of the post?

Hackman2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2004 at 7:42am
Bragging a little but just trying to save some fellow 98 owners a few bucks and headaches.
A5 dude15 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested Pottymouth

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2004 at 10:12am
Originally posted by wolfnite4 wolfnite4 wrote:

so, are u bragging. cause thats pretty cool no doubt. but what was the point of the post?

lol but j/w what makes the gun quiter...that aluminum tube thingy?
PistolPete View Drop Down
Free Pete Now ...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2004 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Hackman2 Hackman2 wrote:

Just put a Palmer Stabalizer on. Running at 480psi. Chronoing at 280fps +/- 8fps one out of 10 shots. Every air smith I asked said it wouldn't work. This things the bomb. Approximately 1400 balls per 3000psi 88ci air fill. Accuracy outstanding.

What did the Airsmiths say you couldn't do? As for polishing just about everyone has done that and some have been running regs on our guns for a while. As for the Airsmiths I know they say they can do anything as long as you got the cash
PistolPete
OMHW
Hackman2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2004 at 2:13pm

The air smiths and Tippma told me I'd never get the gun to operate properly under 800 fps. The air smiths swear by bushies and cockers. Granted I'll probally get my but kicked in speedball but this weekend my 98 kicked some but in woods ball. While the bushies and cockers poured on the paint I just took my time from 150' away and eliminated them one by one. They couldn't hear the gun and with dark colored ball couldn't see them comming.

Operating it a 480ps with the aluminum power tube with derlin insert and a Empire Barrel with a .684 incert and Diablo balls, combination of ball to barrel fit and lower pressure, is what quiets the gun down.

The air smith, 10 years plus experience, tore my gun apart to see the modifications and still couldn't believe the guns performance untill he put two hoppers of balls through it.

custom98 freak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2004 at 10:16pm

i just got a rear cocking nobe for my gun its silent

98c
wisper 14"
dead on drop forward
halo b
bi pods
rear cockin nobe
titanium boom stick
rt
blade extended triger
e-dot laser scope
ptxtreme wiht co2 adapter
D-Day at skimish Allide forces
Hackman2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2004 at 2:24pm

The lower pressure quiets the gun. Assuming you ar using a ball to barrel match, when the ball enter the barrel and the valve is activated it pushes the ball out which creates a vacume in the barrel. The pop you hear is the pressure in the barrel re-pressurizing to the atmosphere out side the barrel. It's like a plane at 50,000 feet. The air pressure in the plane is much greater than outside. A breach in the hull occurs and everything is sucked out untill the pressure in the plane equalizes to the outside pressure. 98 operating at 800 to 900 psi create greater pressure in the barrel than a 98 operating at 450psi or even lower to 350psi with a added low pressure kit. By lowering the pressure in the barrel, less of a vacume is created, creating the snapping or popping noise you hear as air re-enters the barrel as it re-equalizes the internal pressure. The softer the re-pressureizing the less noise it makes. The whisper barrel lowers the vacume due to the numerous porting holes the ball travels through. I also have a whisper barrel. Very Good Barrel although I prefer the Empire 5/7/9 piece barrel kit. I played this weekend and used a .684 inser, which is extremely small, with Diablo 13 paint. No ball breaks. Excellent distance and accuravy. The guns performace caught the attention of many at the field and alot of inquireies as to what mods I did. I actuall disassembled the gun for an airsmith to prove my point.

The accuracy comes into play with the pressure also. At 8 to 9 hundred psi the resistance the barrel creates in front of the ball forced by the air pressure behind the ball distorts the ball as it travels out of the barrel. Thus creating fractures and warpped shell which account for almost 50% of flyoffs and ball breaks. By lowering the pressure the ball stays closer to it's natural state which is originally not a perfect sphere.

LordJovian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2004 at 4:32pm

Here's what you need to do- post this on a website somewhere, step-by-step instructions. Post links to sites where to purchase the stuff you used, and deem yourself the coolest modder in the world! Well, next to the second close to best in a genral area of good modding, just in front of the third almost-coolest right next to the best modder in second in front of the first decent yet practical modder.

What?

A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
paintball123abc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2004 at 5:07pm
hackman what do u reccumend for woodsball
jml03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2004 at 9:17pm

Custom 98 ($125) A5 ($230.00) Internet or local dealer (Do the mods I did and don't get the responce trigger. Only waist paint. The mods will increase recycle rate substantially.

Empire Barrel Kit ($90 Paintball Action Village Piece Kit), Don't bother with a 98 Flatline Barrel. I hear the the A5 Flatline works when. Polished Internals and Palmer Stabalizer (Doro Paintball.com Works Awsome With CO2/ HPA and doesn't cost much more than a expansion chamber.) CNC Aluminum Power Tube with Derin insert Doro Paintball.com $40.00. I use a BSA Red Dot Sight when sniping. Local Mart Store $29.00 and sporting goods store $39.00.

Dark Colored Balls ect Green Marbalizers, Diablo, Draxus. Don't buy Venom. The oil coating will kill your accuracy. With my mods I even shoot Mart Balls and haven't broke one yet. You can always by expensive balls but once you get the pressure lowered the cheap balls will work well.

Edited by jml03
Tippman 98C
32* Universal Drop Forward
8 Stage X-Chamber
Dye Titanium Boomstick
Starfire Front Bolt
Polished Internals
GTA Double Trigger
12-V Revvy
Rocket Cock

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic