Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bunker Construction Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long_Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bunker Construction Ideas
    Posted: 15 July 2004 at 10:46am

Hey guys,

Haven't posted recently because I've been spending too much time either playing or working on making our various practice fields better.  And it was this that gave me an idea for a thread I hadn't seen recently, bunker construction ideas.  It seems that 90% of the bunkers you see (on rec/woodsball fields) are either natural soft cover, mound-type bunkers, or are constructed of pallets.  These all work well, but each have their downfalls.

We play in several wooded fields on 15-20 acre lots.  The property isn't ours, but we've been given permission to use it as long as we don't trash up the place or attract undue attention.  For this reason we've looked at alternatives to discarded materials as bunkers, opting instead for something that won't be as obtrusive.

For this we've come up with something I don't see elsewhere, we've taken 3ml shrink-wrap plastic (I know some of you won't have access to this, but to those of you who have access to warehouse materials, it's no harder than getting pallets).  Each piece of plastic is draped over a piece of cable which is tied between two trees or staked into the ground (though we have made some free-standing bunkers with 2x4's sunk into the ground a foot or so).  The two bottom ends, which should be loose are then stapled into a 2x4 the length of the bunker to add weight and keep it from blowing or shifting.  From here soft cover or spray paint can be used to disguise the bunker from sight.  It's worked well and is easily removed should the field ever need to be cleared.

I appreciate any other ideas, as we're trying several things that haven't been played out by others.

Thanks,
Long_Shot

callmebob2 View Drop Down

Guested - Spam, Crudity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmebob2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2004 at 11:45am
thats a realy good idea. the only promblem is if they sit in the sun for a while they will get weak. but it u leav it in the shade it will be fine
peas and luf
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2004 at 1:06pm
Thats a really resourcefull idea. My friends and i make bunkers out of cut logs stacked up in a triangle. These work well since they are natural and all, and they can be moved. We also take a few stumps and set up at the base of a hill or ridge that we have covered. Hope this helps.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
ŞaintBall View Drop Down
Strike 1 - idiocy 4/15/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ŞaintBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2004 at 2:55pm
yeah or you could just find a new place to paly so you didnt need to take the time and money to spray paint that stuff!
Im to poor to play Paintball!
$MONEY FOR THE POOR$

98c Dude13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98c Dude13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2004 at 6:06pm
V-bunkers.
TIPPMANN 98 CUSTOM
14" Progressive barrel   
32* Black gel grips
BT-16 Double trigger
Pen Spring Mod
X-core Expansion Chamber
Vertical Adapter
Long_Shot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long_Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 10:39am

I've considered just about everything, trying to find a new place isn't impossible, but the field is convenient for all our practices and scrimmage sessions.  The plastic will not be permanently secured, instead it will be hanging from cable and attached to a 2x4 at the bottom.  Aside from that there's not a great deal of choice for the situation.

We're buying 50 gallon drums as secondary bunkers, but they're too expensive to try and use them as our base bunker.  Pallets are easily obtained but very hard to transport the mile and a half 'nature trail' to the field.  The 3mm plastic seems to be the strongest option for the result.  We will be using pallets to fill in the dig-in bunkers we've made so you're not knee-deep in mud, but otherwise they're usefulness is far exceeded by the work necessary to get them in place.

Once we've completed a bit more work, I'll post some pictures so I can see what you guys think, all the bunkers (aside from dig-ins) are easily moved, so reconfiguration isn't much of a hassle.  And if anyone has found a site with decent plans for paintball bunkers it would be most appreciated if you could drop me the link.

Long_Shot

A-5 auto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2004 at 9:14pm
hey wassup jibbiddy dee yo fizzhizle my nizzle those be some pimpin bunker ideas dawg? Great small friey have fun peace out later yall
Hey howd you do that?! Your funny hahaha shut up! FAPM forumers against Popemobile
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 12:10am

You know, there might be some old 50 gallon drums in a junkyard somewhere. I wouldn't doubt a local junkyard in your area... you might as well check...

Try spools. Those wire spools. You can probibly get them free from your local power company, cable, or phone company. Or if you can find a huge electrical company, they might have some empty spools laying around. Although, you will have to transport them. (to get them into the woods, you can just roll them) Most spools range in size from 4 to 12 inch plastic (useless for paintball), or from 12 inch to 6 foot wood spools. Some are even larger. But those extra huge ones will be hell to transport (the huge wood ones are as heavy as... <insert bad words here>).

You can use some logs that are laying around (or you could always "borrow" a few limbs off of a tree). Just arange them in a bunker. You can use large bolts, construction screws, or rail road **edited**es to hold them in place (although all of those do get pretty expensive).

Plywood and some 2 x 4s works wonders, but it gets expensive, and uber heavy.

If I were you, I'd go look around local construction sites (but don't piss the workers off, trust me, they hate that). Be real polite, and ask the guys if they have any scrap material you can take (especially wood). Most of the time, they won't care, beacuse they would have to get rid of the scrap anyway, you're basically doing some of that disposal for them. But seriously, ask permission, and be really polite...

Most importantly - People suck.
NeoRome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoRome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 9:44am
i seriously dont know why they dont just make them out of cinder blocks, i can get a cinder black for about a buck at my hardware store (a friend of mine works as a casheir their so i can get an uber poodle amount of a discount...10% WOOT!) it will cost a little bit more BUT it will last WAAYY longer than some wood bunker or any other kind of bunker. we and a bunch of friends are making a castle in this field a friend owns, its a HUGE field out in the country and we are making 2 castles, its gonna be uber cool...at least, it better be. hopefully we can get a license for paintball or w/e you need to do and open it as a field...i would invite you all and give you free admission lol
how can you die when you cant be seen?
swickers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 1:13pm
hey u guys i just built a HUGE bunker at my house in the back wit my dad is is awsome can i like put a picture on this or anything so that ppl can get an idea

we got a lot of our lumber and stuff from a salvage yard that might help u all
your good... real good.. but as long as im around youll always be second best
A-5 auto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 5:46pm

Hey put some pictures of it to give an idea so i can see wat to do.......................................................... ............................................................ .........................................................and also you can take a shovel about normal size and dig a hole about 2ft deep and trust me its easy and then you pil sticks in like a diamond shape around it and pile dirt around it give you extra protection but make sure you have someone watchin ur back so u dont get bunkered

Hey howd you do that?! Your funny hahaha shut up! FAPM forumers against Popemobile
A-5 auto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 5:48pm
for those people who are scared to get dirty you can take that black plastic well wait if ur scared to get dirty then u shouldnt play but you can take that black plastic that some people line gardens or flower beds with and put it in the hole and like nail it into the ground and there you go have fun and dont get bunkered
A-5 auto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 auto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 5:49pm
u can find the plastic at Freds or Walmart probably even at dollar tree and at ur local garden store and dont get bunkered
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 12:00am

Originally posted by A-5 auto A-5 auto wrote:

u can find the plastic at Freds or Walmart probably even at dollar tree and at ur local garden store and dont get bunkered

Yeah... but what happens when it rains?

Sump-pump, anyone?

Most importantly - People suck.
rave5910 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rave5910 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 12:41am
old tires from junk yards work ok and you can build a frame out of branches or 2x4's and cover it with mesh (heavy 3/8 inch mesh that i used for a rabbit cage once but i dont know where it came from) then cover all that with a tarp or a thick blanket so you cant see through it 

A-5
E-grip
32º W.B.
DOP x-chamb.
psycho bal. 2x trig
polished internals
B.L. 1.2k psi gauge
ST grip adapter
32º bottomline
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 2:14am

Why dont try using the trees to make yer bunkers, Im sure theres plenty of branches or a dead tree layin around or if you could ask permission from the property owner/management if its possible to chop down some trees to make the bunkers and you may never the property mgmt/owner probably has plans of taking some down trees...

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Queef Police View Drop Down

Guested - Username not acceptable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queef Police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 10:45pm

yea trees and mounds of dirt are about the best way tro go because they are natural and ur land owners dont get pissed off

a5
flatline barrel
custom aluminum foregrip
custom aluminum folding stock
e grip
palmer stabalizer
71ci 4500psi dye throttle hpa
dye invision goggles
swickers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:02pm
hey can some1 tell me how to put pic on there and then ill put up some pics of my bunker (it is NICE)

swickers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:20pm
ok i know how ill get some pic of my bunker
Wink1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wink1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 8:07pm

we use berlap bag's for our bunkers we have the same problem we cant trash the wood's out with skid's and stuff

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic