Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Poll Question: Should a mother have the option to abort a healthy fetus?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
57 [43.18%]
3 [2.27%]
72 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotreDamePaintB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:04pm

Yes I did think that and figured on someone pointing that out to me.

Slothbutt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can’t find the short bus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

And under current law, you can shoot to kill anybody who was just trying to rob you of a few hundred dollars

can you point out this law?

Just because people are killed unjustly everyday doesn't make it ok.
Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Slothbutt Slothbutt wrote:

And under current law, you can shoot to kill anybody who was just trying to rob you of a few hundred dollars

Hmm in Cali at least, but i think this is a federal law, you can only shoot someone when you're own life is in immediate danger.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:10pm

Yes I know that Sandman, But you still have to diagree with one of the premises to disagree with the conlusion.

P1. If it is raining the sidewalks are wet.
P2. The sidewalk are wet.
Conclusion- It must be raining.

In order to say you desagree with the conclusion you have to say one of the premises is wrong.. the sprinklers are on it is not raining. Premise 2 is not correct.

(this was an example for people with no experince in philosopy)

Actually, no.  What you just demonstrated is a version of syllogistic fallacy.

1.  If A, then B
2.  B
Conclusion:  A

That doesn't follow.  This is the correct version:

1.  If A, then B
2.  A
Conclusion:  B

The first example (yours) illustrates how two correct premises could lead to an incorrect conclusion.  I can agree with both your P1 and P2, and still correctly disagree with your conclusion.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:13pm

can you point out this law? Just because people are killed unjustly everyday doesn't make it ok.

In every state in the US you can kill to defend yourself from a felony.  What constitutes a felony varies, but robbery of $500 is a common limit.

In some states, I believe, you can shoot to kill for a lot less than that.  In Texas, for instance, you can kill trespassers, even the harmless ones.

Edited by SandMan
WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:15pm
Morally opposed, but I respect peoples' rights to choose. I just can't understand, except for the most extreme situations, how someone could do it. Just my .02...
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by themovielife themovielife wrote:

I think it is fine. Their body, their choice.

its not her body its her baby's

<1 meg sig = bad>
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:23pm

Actually my philosophy class studied this alittle bit. I think Jim Stones argument for the wrongfullness of abortion is a good one.

-Premise 1. Healthy infants have a powerful claim to our protection and we wrong them seriously if we kill them.
-Premise 2. There are no morally relevant differences between infants and fetuses.
-Conclusion- Therefor, healthy fetuses have a powerful claim to our protection and we wrong them seriously if we kill them.

A morally relevant reason is one that would justify different treatment.
He goes on to show there are no morally relevant differences between infants and fetuses.

Birth-There is no significant difference 5min before and 5min after birth.
Viability- They need more care from there mother so that gives us a right to kill them?
Sentient-They can't "feel" the first few months. So we have the right to kill people in that are in a temperary comma who arn't sentient?
Human form- They look like a bund of cells or a tad-pole. Isn't this the same a racism or sexism. It's only looks.

So he shows you have to agree with the second premise and if you want to deny the conclusion you have to some how disprove the first premise.

If you are intrested in this topic I suggest you read The Morality of Abortion: An exchange, by Jim Stone.

I saw it the first time I was just thinking about it for a moment.

Believe it or not I used to argue the other side of the debate, but that is a different story.

While I agree that the woman shouldnt allows have the final say about wheither the fetus should be aborted, I dont agree with the rest of the premises.

Techincally, in the eyes of the law, those 5 minutes do count. Plus there is a large differnce between a child 5 minutes before breeching the birth canal and five minutes after breeching the birth canal. Differences include the fact that one is indeed inside the womb while the other is not. Also an unborn child has not inhaled a breath of oxegen on its own. The fetus is still attached to the amblilical cord and still relying on the mother for its ablity to survive.

As for the human form premise, that is flawed due to the fact that the sperm and the eggs of humans are indeed not human, until fertilaztion, both the sperm and the egg have only 1/2 the genetic required to even begin the formation of a fetus.

SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:25pm

can you point out this law? Just because people are killed unjustly everyday doesn't make it ok.

In every state in the US you can kill to defend yourself from a felony.  What constitutes a felony varies, but robbery of $500 is a common limit.

In some states, I believe, you can shoot to kill for a lot less than that.  In Texas, for instance, you can kill trespassers, even the harmless ones.

I do not know this to be true. In fact, I suspect you are operating on flawed information.

Every time someone is killed with a firearm, even if the signs point to suicide, the Police investigate. If you happen to be the one who pulled the trigger, or they evidence points that way, they bring you in for questioning.

If they charge you with murder, it is not an effective argument to say that the man was robbing you. It probably bumps it down to manslaughter from murder, but doesn't make it legal.

They have to actively be threatening your life for you to take theirs as I understand it.
Real Men Love Cheeses
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:26pm
The "Make My Day" law in Colorado does, in your defense, define someone breaking into your home as actively threatening your life. Thus, you can shoot intruders into your home.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:30pm

I will have to check my sources...   That was my understanding of the legal situation.

Regardless, however, I will stand by my general statement that killing =/= murder, generally speaking.

Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:36pm
Actually I was wrong, you may shoot someone in California is they are attempting to rob you.

You may kill someone for attempting to commit a forcible or life threatening crime on yourself or someone else examples of forcible or life threatening crimes include, murder, mayhem, rape, robbery,etc.

Information came right from the California Handgun Safety Certificate handbook.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:36pm

I'm happy to see that this debate has gone quite well for 4 pages.

I will continue to side with earlier comments made by Hades and be pro-choice. Morally, it may be wrong or hard to deal with. However, morales are not always laws. This is one situation that should apply.

Slothbutt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can’t find the short bus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:49pm
Rob you doesn't = attempting to commit a forcible or life threatening crime on yourself or someone else examples of forcible or life threatening crimes include, murder, mayhem, rape, robbery,etc.

Laws of self defence

Now back on topic.

Edited by Slothbutt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 2:58pm

All right - this is from teh Texas Penal Code (sorry for big cut'n'paste):

§ 9.42.  DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  A person is
justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
tangible, movable property:
(1)  if he would be justified in using force against the
other under Section 9.41;  and
(2)  when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A)  to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or
(B)  to prevent the other who is fleeing
immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
property;  and
(3)  he reasonably believes that:         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;    
(A)  the land or property cannot be protected or
recovered by any other means;  or
(B)  the use of force other than deadly force to
protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. 
Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

§ 9.43.  PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY.  A person
is justified in using force or deadly force against another to
protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if,
under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the
actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force
or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:
(1)  the actor reasonably believes the unlawful
interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or
criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property;  or
(2)  the actor reasonably believes that:         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;       
(A)  the third person has requested his protection
of the land or property;
(B)  he has a legal duty to protect the third
person's land or property;  or
(C)  the third person whose land or property he
uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent,
or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. 
Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

-----------------------------

That kind of matches what I said earlier.  But, regardless, for current inability to back up my claim, I retract my statement about 50 state shootin'.  My substantive point, however, still stands.

Sorry about the partial hijack - let's get back to discussing baby-killing.

Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 3:12pm

Rob you doesn't = attempting to commit a forcible or life threatening crime on yourself or someone else examples of forcible or life threatening crimes include, murder, mayhem, rape, robbery,etc.

Laws of self defence

Now back on topic.

Uhm thats California law, so I don't know what to tell you.

Last I checked somone robbing you = robbery.
Slothbutt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can’t find the short bus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 3:26pm
it's not just robbery it has to be "forcible or life threatening"

I have the hand book right infront of me and it is very clear starting on page 37, you have to be in immediate danger.
"Furthermore a person may only use the amount of force, up to deadly force, as a reasonable person in the same or similiar circumstances would believe to be necessary to prevent imminent injury."
Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 3:34pm
the top of page 38 says exactly this

"Murder, mayhem, rape and robbery are examples of foricble and life-threatening crimes. (PC section 197)"

So robbery = forcible crime, according to California.
-The Unknown- View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -The Unknown- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 3:50pm
Pro-life, pro-usingmybrain...
636andy636 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Solipsism Solipsism wrote:

Hmm in Cali at least, but i think this is a federal law, you can only shoot someone when you're own life is in immediate danger.

around here i was told by a cop. if someones in your house and you have a gun you can shoot them. just shoot to kill and put a second shot into the celing. so no one nows if the shot in the celing came first or second. just looks like a warning and make sure the guy is dead. if hes not dead its called atemted murder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic