Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Poll Question: Should a mother have the option to abort a healthy fetus?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
57 [43.18%]
3 [2.27%]
72 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 8:32pm
What don't you get? He was 'disturbed' by the guy on the corner, not the baby!

Edited by Frozen
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Pmoney Pmoney wrote:

1.) I am talking beyond the scientific method. Not all things can be explained in a methodical fashion, but they still happen.  Use logic.  What are the odds that life would evolve from lifeless amino acids in an organic soup to form complex humans? Starting with the simplest single-cell organisms, the chances that beneficial mutations would occur, nonetheless thousands upon thousands of beneficial mutations, is slim to none.  Then, for propagation of that mutated species, two organisms of the mutated type would have to exist to reproduce, unless asexual reproduction occurred, in which case, how did gender differences develop?

EDIT: What exact flaws in the application of the scientific theory are you talking about anyway? That brief statement merits an explanation.

2.) Accepting intelligent design implies the existence of a very wise and powerful being. This then brings in the morality aspect, because it does exist, and it then falls under the assumption that our design was facilitated by that wise and powerful being who must have incorporated that characteristic into our design.

(1)  ID theory essentially boils down to one of the two following statements:  (A) "Life/the world/the universe is so immensely complex that the chances of it occurring randomly are exceedingly unlikely, and therefore there must have been a guiding hand", or (B) "there are some things that science just can't explain, and therefore there must be a guiding hand".  You present a combination of the two.

As to (A) - the fundamental flawed application of science/logic is that just because something is really really unlikely doesn't make it impossible.  By that theory, we should arrest every lottery-winner for cheating, since the chances of winning fairly are tiny.

This theory is the result of confusing inferential statistics with probability statistics.  In experimental/inferential statistics, you can usually infer some outside influence if a result will only occur randomly 5% of the time.  But inferential statistics can only be applied in an experimental setting, which certainly does not exist here.  The correct application is probability statistics, which allows for no inference of causality at all.  The probability of being dealt five winning poker hands in a row is tiny - but is bound to happen eventually.

People also forget the power of compound probability.  Let's say that nature rolls a die (so to speak) to determine if life will randomly occur today.  Let's say that the chance of life occurring on any given "roll" is 0.0000001 (I realize that the probability is much much less, but I don't have a calculator capable of handling a million zeros - work with me here).  Let us say that one "roll" occurs every minute.  That means that after 1 million minutes (11.5 days), the chance of life NOT having occurred randomly is 0.999999^1,000,000 = roughly 37%.  IOW, there is a 63% chance that life DID occur randomly in less than two weeks.  Of course, we don't know how often a "roll" occurred, or what the chances of success was on any given roll, but we do know that life COULD have occurred randomly, and we do know that nature had a long time and many many tries to get it right.

Further - let's assume that we knew a lot more than we do, and we concluded that, all said, there was only a 0.01% total chance of life off by the time it did.  Here we apply the movie analogy:  Every movie you watch depicts a very unlikely event.  Somebody gets shot at a thousand times and doesn't get hit, or somehow manages to sink the final basket.  Why is it always like that in the movies?  Because if it went otherwise, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE MOVIE.  If the guy gets shot and dies in the first scene, they don't make the movie.  Just like that, "life" is the movie that got made.  We know that we exist (Bishop Berkeley aside), and we know that it is POSSIBLE that life occurred randomly.  The logical conclusion is therefore that life occurred randomly.  Similarly, we know that it is possible to win the lottery (however unlikely).  If I win the lottery, I will therefore not conclude divine intervention, but logically conclude that I just got lucky.

To conclude that there must have been a helping hand, just because an extremely unlikely series of events has occurred, is not logical or scientific.  It is a leap of faith.

As to (B), regarding what science cannot explain, and as with your bi-gender note.  This is even simpler.  Just because science cannot explain something YET does not mean that science simply cannot explain it.  This theory was popular in the dark ages and earlier ages, and led to fine conclusions like flat earth and Thor with his hammer.  Pointing out apparent inconsistencies or flaws in a particular scientific theory is not evidence of a helping hand.

(2)  Even if we accept ID, we do not have to accept a "wise and powerful being" in the way you imply.  A 5-year-old might make an ant farm for a science project.  This would be intelligent design.  Does that make the kid wise and powerful?  Maybe, but ...

... that does not carry a moral imperative.  The kid built the habitat for the heck of it, and to impress his friends.  Could not the same be said for the Creator?  In Job, Heinlein posits a world where deities are squabbling children who play games with the lives of men.  This theme is also applied in most older religions - Norse, Greek/Roman, Hindu, Chinese - heck, all of them.

I see no reason to believe that simply because a being is more powerful than me, that this being must also have some set of moral standards.  There is absolutely no foundation for an assertion that the Creator "must" have imbued us with some set morals.

Further, we run into this epistemological issue.  Even if we assume that the Creator did set some moral standards, how do we know what they are?  Religions around the world disagree on what God has told us to do.  So even if God does have a plan, it doesn't matter since we don't know what it is. 

In addition, I challenge anybody to find a single moral rule that has existed in every human culture.  If there were some "moral bone" hard-wired into our being, wouldn't we all agree on those bones?  The continued strife throughout human history is de facto evidence that this "standard" morality does not exist, or at least is not known to us.

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 10:37pm
The embryo is asexual until about week four of a pregancy...

BlackDeath7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDeath7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Why is my question out of line? Yes, I have no faith. I have touched several bibles. I even devoted nearly 20 years to religion only to find I had wasted my time.  

Hades, why do you give up on your religion?  I would seriously like to discuss it with you.

Brett Favre gets sacked again.
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 4:38pm
Too many incosistancies and some of the beliefs are used to justify intolerant behavior in the name of good/God.

Da Best View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

The embryo is asexual until about week four of a pregancy...

What specific proof do you have of this?  And what is your point?

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 4:48pm

Hades is both right and wrong:  http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/pediatricendocrinology/inters ex/sd2.html

His point relates to a post on the previous page.

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 5:00pm
Maybe, I mistyped. What should have been written was that the sex organs dont begin to develope until about week four. All (expect the mutated ones) embryos are physically identical gender wise, not nessisarily asexual.
Here

Originally posted by article article wrote:

On the Y chromosome, at a particular locus which is not found on the X chromosome, there is a gene called the "sex-determining region of the Y" or simply "SRY". It is responsible for turning a mammalian embryo into a male mammal.
We are all genetically "pre-programmed" to become female but at around week six of human development SRY becomes activated.

I will get back to this later, have to run to work. It will make more sense when I finish the post.

Pmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 5:27pm

1.) Hades, I see your point that an embryo has no sex until presence or absence of testosterone determines it, but it is in our genetics to develop sex - it's not that we will never have gender like many single cell organisms.  Any cases in which sex does not properly develop is an anomaly/malfunction caused by various reasons.  Ontogeny does not recapitulate phylogeny - that has been rejected by nearly all if not all reputable scientific communities.

2.) We need to let Enos answer about the picture - so Enos, did you approve of the poster?  It seems to me that your yelling was motivated by the fact that the man was bold enough to stand in public, proclaiming his beliefs with a powerful picture.  Otherwise, why did you phrase your description of him as a "cult Christ idiot."  Unless I missed something you began yelling at him based solely off the fact that he was holding a picture of a mutilated baby, clearly stating his pro-life stance.  I think that it did 'disturb' you in some way, accomplishing its purpose.

3.) Kent I will get back to you later today....time stinks...waiting for no one...

Edited by Pmoney
work4paint View Drop Down

Guested Dumbass

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote work4paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 6:59pm
 arbotion is murder! Even if they were rapped its not the kids fault!  just put it up for adobtion... man i think arbotion is sick an wrong! pff all you who said yes should have been aborted then see what its like
Pmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 11:45pm

Alright, thanks to all those who kept this argument on a respectable level, avoiding the personal attacks that often plague the forums. Anywho, this is directed to Clark Kent (whose post can be seen above). Read it first, and this will make a whole lot more sense.

1.) The intelligent design theory doesn't only boil down to those to arguments.  Some argue that our ability to reason, love, and be self-aware point to a creator.  Some claim a revelation or a feeling, which they can't exactly explain, points to a creator. However, the most effective and convincing reason seems to be the unbelievable complexity of the universe in which we live.  It was this (largely the discoveries from DNA) that changed the mind of the famous atheist, Antony Flew (article about it http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ233.HTM). 

1.) (A) I know that unlikelihood does not make something impossible, but considering the unbelievably low chances, it is more logical to assume otherwise, which is why the majority of people in the world believe in some god.  The chances of winning the lottery are very small, but compared to the chances of the random generation of life, (to the human degree of complexity nonetheless) winning the lottery looks promising.  Winning the lottery wouldn't be cheating in any case either; it is not cheating, it is just getting lucky with odds that are good in comparison to the random generation of life which has odds that are exponentially smaller. 

As to the confusion of inferential/probability statistics, inferential statistics are not void; there exists no alternative for a testing ground - the universe has to be the experimental basis for all information obtained.  What/who exactly dictates that inferential statistics would be void in the case of studying the universe? In addition, the individual parts that factor into the creation of life are testable to a degree, and those parts would have had to occur in steps (i.e. cells couldn't form in the vacuum of space, or an organism couldn't form without the basic amino acids). Thus, inferring, or making some conclusions is not out of the question. Scientists, experimenting to create basic amino acids, were never able to form lasting amino acids under better than ideal conditions that would have existed on earth millions of years ago.  Any that they were able to form fell apart immediately, due to the law of entropy, that without energy put into the system, things fall apart and break down. 

"People also forget the power of compound probability."  As you said it, people do often forget this.  Not only is the probability "much less" as you admitted, but multiple steps would have to occur - all with extremely low probabilities into the millions, possibly billions or more zeros.  The multiplicative effect of thousands/millions of steps to create life makes the probability effectively zero (more on this later).  Your example if so oversimplified and weighted to your point that it cannot even begin to illustrate the actual statistic (it seems a little fuzzy too).

If there is a 0.0000001 or 1/10,000,000 chance as in your example, the desired result only occurs 1 in 10,000,000 times.  That is not 67% with 1,000,000 trials. It has to be less than 1% because the one desired result may not have even occurred after 1,000,000 trials when there is a 1 in 10,000,000 chance.

A movie is hardly an authoritative source to consult for an analogy.  Again, the example cannot begin to illustrate the complexity of the creation of life.  Movies are fiction and the odds are defied to the viewers’ delight – the creation of life is just not an applicable complement to that analogy.

To conclude that there is a helping hand in creation is logical because science has shown the astonishing improbability.

Let’s look at what is necessary for the creation of the simplest of single-celled organisms.  First of all, I am assuming that you would believe that a “big bang” type theory is responsible for the creation of the universe.  If this is so, a star would have to form with orbiting bodies around it. One of these would have to have the right elements and atmospheric components to support life in addition to being the right distance from the sun to avoid burning or freezing.  The chances of this occurring are not bad, considering the millions and millions of galaxies, but it is still probably at least a few thousand zeros.  Then, the “basic building blocks of life” would need to form. Have you ever seen the formula for an amino acid? Here is a basic overview http://www.johnkyrk.com/aminoacid.html. As you can see, amino acids are not simple structures, all parts to create just one would have had to exist in a common place and something would have had to cause them to bond.  If it stays together, it is practically worthless without many of the other amino acids which form proteins.  If all elements were present, and something such as lightening were to somehow combine the elements to form random structures, some amino acids may form. They would then have to form chains to create proteins.  The proteins would then have to randomly organize to form the structure of a cell, complete will a selectively permeable membrane of proteins, the endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, the Golgi apparatus, centrioles, lysosomes, vacuoles, possibly chloroplasts (each containing its own membranes (inner and outer) Granum, and stroma), and most importantly, DNA.  All of this would have to randomly form from the random formation of chains of amino acids which create proteins.  All parts would run dependently on the DNA that happen to form a complex string of amino acids in the nuclear envelope which can dictate what is let into and out of the cell, what proteins and amino acids to create, where to move molecules in the cell, and how to self-replicate.  “Food” would then have to be available for it to survive, if the random DNA pattern incorporated in what manner it would obtain “food.”  See http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/cells/animalcell.html  for some additional information. 

All of this is dependent on chance.  Now, each one of these steps has a probability of millions of zeros between the decimal point and 1.  This is where the multiplicative properties of probabilities come into play again.  For example, if I were picking marbles out of a bag containing 1 of each red, blue, yellow, and green marbles, the probability that I pick 1 blue is ¼.  If I pick again (assuming I put the marble back so that the events are not dependant), there is again a ¼ chance of picking a blue marble.  Now if I wanted to get these two events to occur in two trials, I multiply ¼ x ¼ which yields 1/16. That means I have a 1 in 16 chance of picking the blue marble twice.  On a larger scale, if the chances of 2 steps in the process to create life were each 1/1,000,000 (it is actually much less), I would multiply 1/1,000,000 by itself giving me a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000 that both steps occur.  Yes, people do often forget the power of compound probability.  Now, having more trials does increase the chances of each event occurring, making the overall scenario more likely, but when dealing with such low probabilities multiplied by thousands, it barely makes a difference.

There is still another factor to throw in – time.  There has not been an infinite amount of time for this to occur.  Our universe has only been around for an estimated 10 billion years or so.  Not only that, but stars have an even shorter life span, maybe a billion years (and that’s pushing it for some).  That means that the probability of the random generation of life is substantially cut down by setting a time frame of a billion years or so for life, as complex as humanity to appear.  When the star burns out, all life will cease to exist in that solar system.

Unless time froze for sextillions of years, the random generation of life is highly, highly unlikely.  As a rational, logical being, it is more logical to assume a guiding hand.  The complexity of our universe is incomprehensible; the formation of a cell is just one part, think of all other discovered laws, theories, elements, subatomic properties, ect… which exist.  It is mind-boggling.

(2) Even if ID is accepted, it does imply moral standards because they exist.  Societies have varied in which moral standards apply, and I challenge you to find one that has had absolutely no moral standards.  It is part of the sense of “fairness” we have.  Why do people often strive for fairness, at least for themselves and often for others?It is part of our being, and no one has yet explained why; I guess it just happened by the random gene patterns that just happen to come together…

The sanctity of life is one moral standard that all societies have given some importance.  What society has had complete disregard for life, allowing killing of anyone for any reason?  Even if it is self-preservation, life has had some importance in every society.

Whew…and that’s all for now.
Slothbutt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can’t find the short bus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:27am
To me, saying that life will randomly happen is like saying tomorrow morning pancakes will randomly make themselves and be ready when I get up.
I don't care how many mornings there will be, it will never happen and pancakes are a hellava lot simpler then the simplest life.
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

While i dont partiularly like abortion, im a libertarian. Completely pro-choice.

As Jay said "Me and Silent Bob are pro choice, a womans body is her own ****** business"

Anti-abortion people are disgusting anyway. I went downtown to hit the
main library one day, and there was some guy standing across the street
with some giant sign with a dead baby on it, like all smashed up and
torn apart. I started yelling at him, i told him i would wager almost
anything he was one of those cult of christ idiots that think video
games are corrupting the youth, and there he is standing on a public
streetcorner with a picture of a dead baby.

way to go enos!(no sarcasm intended)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 8:09am
u kno whats disgusting about abortion? we watched a video of it in health class last semester. people were laughing when the baby was moving around and kicking then when the needle came in and the baby started bleeding the room abruptly went dead quiet. abortion is sick. thats no reason to protest like a friggn cracked up *profanity* tho

Edited by bluemunky42
BlackDeath7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDeath7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 9:02am
Originally posted by bluemunky42 bluemunky42 wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

While i dont partiularly like abortion, im a libertarian. Completely pro-choice.

As Jay said "Me and Silent Bob are pro choice, a womans body is her own ****** business"

Anti-abortion people are disgusting anyway. I went downtown to hit the
main library one day, and there was some guy standing across the street
with some giant sign with a dead baby on it, like all smashed up and
torn apart. I started yelling at him, i told him i would wager almost
anything he was one of those cult of christ idiots that think video
games are corrupting the youth, and there he is standing on a public
streetcorner with a picture of a dead baby.

way to go enos!(no sarcasm intended)

you know what?  if you are going to enter the side of a debate, at least have the guts to post your own reasons instead of hiding behind ones that have already been typed.  I personally have been very active in this thread.

Brett Favre gets sacked again.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 12:20pm
^^This coming from someone with death in their name.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:25pm
hey blackdeath u stupid idiot how bout u look under that post
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 4:17pm
^Well, I guess that would be strike #2.
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:05pm

[Sarcasm] I am a survivor of abortion. [/sarcasm]

I don't feel like reading all of this and reading all of the propaganda. But if it condones you at all... I am pro-choice. I, being a man, am not going to choose what a woman will do with her body.

You can reply, but I probably wont read it.

[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

lant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Originally posted by Fallout_soldier Fallout_soldier wrote:

pluse wut if its some 15 year old who got raped?

...or this one chick in my english class last year...she was not raped, though.

Anyway, as a catholic i'm supposed to say it is wrong, however, i disagree with some things in my religion, so i believe it depends on the circumstances...

Thats to bad. If you dont agree with the teachings of your faith why do you put your claim on it?

The argument that its their body is bs. Who gave them "their body" is it a gift from God, I think so.

Seriously, how many rape victims made the female pregnant? Hardly none every get pregnant. If they do how is it the womens right to deny another human life? If you were a child who was born from a rape do you think you deserve a chance at life???

Edit

On the topic of when does life really occurr. When does it? Everyone has their own opinion. At conception the sperm and the egg become one(i dont no how it exactly all works i slept through class) is that not the start of your life. From that point on do you not start to become what you turn out to be. When are we human. When we have two legs two arms and a head plus torso? Do you have to be a certain age to be human? When i was a day old was i human? Whats human? SOmone define it, please. When you die is that it? You have to have a concept on life and death to talk about abortion. Is your body all youve got? What about a soul. Is a soul who you truly are? When do you develop a soul. When you look like a human you get a soul? I will always be me, even when i am dead. I dont have to have legs and arms to be me.

anyone get it?

Edited by lant
!!!!All Hail 2006!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic