Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Longer battery life (a super-duper Idea)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longer battery life (a super-duper Idea)
    Posted: 09 August 2004 at 2:35pm

Okay, so I was looking at these electronic markers and I got to thinking about electricity(obviously), So I thought well you can make electricity by movie iron(mostly) past a magnet.

So I thought, hey, why not have a part of the bolt iron or something and the reciever part where the bolt goes through have magnets and wire and all that good stuff.

This would dramaticly raise the shots able to be fired if not completely do away with the ovenight recharge.

or whatever im kinda tired cant remember how a generator works

but the concept is still there.

Along the lines of this... http://www.kador.com/torch.htm

Edited by Monk
Large Unit View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not really, but it looks good as a name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Large Unit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 4:46pm
great idea, Im pretty sure if done right it would work but im not too good with electronics and all that.

Better patent it before sp gets it and sues you .

Edited by Large Unit
warmonger83 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 7:26pm
or switch from Ni-Cad to Ni-Mh batts... they charge faster and provide power longer, downside is that they are more expensive
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 9:03pm
It could acctually work, but speedballers might not like the (slightly) bulkier guns.

A magnetic band could be placed around the bolt, then a wire attached to the sides around the bolt creating a kind of coil.  The beggining and end of the coil could run to the back in charge back into the battery. 

The downsides are :

• Slight incress in size (as mentioned before)
  • Possible reduction in speed of gun (magnet might slow or stop the bolt depending on the power of the magnet and how magnetic the materials around the bolt are)
It could work, but it might not be worth it, unless it made it so you would never have to recharge the battery again.
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 9:23pm
if you really want to do it, you should make the bolt magnetic and have a wire coil around the bolt in the reciever... of course there is 1 problem, that setup will create an alternating current, while batterys are Direct Current...

Does anyone know what happens when a battery is hooked directly to AC..? It explodes... so the only way to make it work would be to run the current through an inverter, but as of yet they havnt gotten any smaller than a brick, sooooo... yeah, you get the picture
kwkmrorange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkmrorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 9:49pm
Well you could use it in woodsball easy. Since milsim guns are generally big and bulky. Especially if say your a machine gunner or something like that. While I dont know alot about electricity other than what I learned in grade 9 science this year as long as it was an alternating current then you wouldnt need that inverter so that would make the marker that much smaller. I dont know how this would work though, just an idea.
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 8:26am
I dont know, I was just throwing the idea out there. Kinda sci-fi but I figured if a flashlight can do it, a marker can too.
Nrtheastah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nrtheastah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 10:25am

Actually, the idea is not so far-fetched.  Keep in mind that years ago, the thought of an electronic “smart marker” that could “see” when a ball was in the proper position was probably met with doubt as well.  As a matter of fact, most innovations that we now take for granted probably started out as “wild” ideas.

So, keep the ideas coming!  Who knows what markers will be like 5-10 years from now?

Good job!  

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 10:26am
ok, i admit i was wrong, inverters make DC into AC, they are still pretty big... an AC adaptor of some sort would work. as for those kenetic energy flashlights... being jobless at the moment, i have yet to disect one and see exactly how it works, though it is a good idea
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 11:50am
Sorry but I don't see this working.

1. large magnets and electronics DO NOT MIX
  2. the added weight of iron on the bolt would use more energy to move and would slow down the cycling. As well as wear out on buffers and such because of added inertia.
brycef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 10:41am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

what r u talking about??? hahahah, they are realtives

Jesus- the way to go.
planning to get ion
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

2. the added weight of iron on the bolt would use more energy to
    move and would slow down the cycling. As well as wear out on buffers
    and such because of added inertia.

the bolt is steel steel has all the properties of iron but is lighter and stronger, and steel can be magnatized, so your second concern is bunk concerning bothe hes idea of how is should work and mine

it is true that magnets CAN affect electronics, but usually only high tech devices such as computers, TVs... prettymuch anything with a display or that saves data. I hightly doubt it would affect an AC adaptor

Edited by warmonger83
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 4:51pm
when did an AC adapter come into this? I;m talking about hooking a large magnet to the bolt that would affect chips.
TIPPMANN P8NT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIPPMANN P8NT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 7:28pm

That is some good thinking, and don't get me wrong it's a grate idea, but 1 problem, when the bolt moves forward the current would be reversed as it moves back. Forward(+-) Backwards (-+) :( that would cancel out it's self...

But if you could find a way around that, I think you might be on to somthing... It may not charge the gun very much, but every little bit help in paintball :D

Edited by TIPPMANN P8NT
"Caution, Lethal in large doses" www.freewebs.com/teamlethaldose

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 8:19pm
How bout placing a couple of solar cells on top of the hopper, like say the "hopper lid" or the flat surfaces of the Ricochet and have the wires run down to whatever side of the hopper and to a connection point on the marker to the rechargable batteries.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
duck68tape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck68tape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 8:53pm
Well There u guys have some good ideas but the guy that said he didn't leave much about electricty in the 9th grade didn't go to my school for a fact cuz that is all my sience teached talked about poor guy *yup this has nothing to do with this subject*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic