Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I LOATHE RUNNING!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Doors Of Perception

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetallicaESPa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 9:34pm
i had heart surgery when i was 2 days old, it was a Coartation of the assending aorta, and because of that i get tired faster then others, so, i realy hate running.

WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 9:47pm
My problem with running in the Marine Corps was running too slow in formation! The whole slowing down and circling back to pick up slackers killed my knees and ankles! Needless to say that on average all the PT (pull-ups/sit-ups/timed runs) and humping seemded to cater to "little guys". I was about 145-150lbs (I am 5'11)and had no problems, a lot (not all) of the bigger guys seemed to lack the stamina needed to do well. We also had a Gunney that loved to bust out 10 mile runs out of no where. Problem was that if your body and preparation was gearing toward 3-5 mile runs, ten miles would wipe you out. Needless to say someone complained and they eventually disappeared...

Edited by WUNgUN
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 9:53pm
I usually take the longest stride possible and avoid putting my heel down. It seems to me like landing on your heel wastes some energy. But for long runs like that, it might be smart to use your heels so that you don't strain your achilles tendons and calves.
airballer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airballer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 10:56pm

anybody tried doing the running for a high school football team? ya, lots of ibuprofen

me and my friends have won 1st in 3 out of 3 5 man airball tournaments in the rookie division, woot!

Front Playa- Team Confuzion

my tippy: 98c w/ all american barrel, ebolt, egg 2 hopper
hashi2008 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Racial Slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hashi2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 11:04pm
 Dude, you think running (track and CC) is bad on you, try football. Not only do we run 20 50 yrd sprints AFTER hitting and driving for 3 hours, but you have to lift wieghts. By the time most high school level football players are 40, the have serious backa nd joint problems. My dad was a tailback in high school, and when he was 39 he had a herniated(sp) disk in his back. The ammount of stress put on your joints and spine is way more unhealthy than running alone. Another unhealthy sport is wrestling. My cousin was dropped on his neck in the semi-finals of a tournament. The other guy was disqualified, but he had to go on to the championship match injured (he ended up losing rather quickly).
Founder of the "Forumers Against the Ugly Woman Sigs" also known as FAUWS.
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 11:08pm
Eh i dont think anybody mentioned this, but try stretching better and longer before your run. This will help A LOT. Also dont run to fast in the beginning, keep a steady pace. Well everybody has said everything else..well good luck.
Fallout_soldier View Drop Down
A-5 Speed Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallout_soldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

quit the army. shove that uniform right up your DS's ass and leave.....teach uncle sam to want you.

But really though, you make a good point on health, but im not to sure the army wants people to be in the best of shape, i tihnk they want people to be able to endure the harshness that is your training and combat. Its not hard to see that its unhealthy and possibly dangerous, so i think they have a vague idea of what they are doing.

I agree thye want you tough and hopefully fit... but mainly tough.

Canada
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=atomicbomb.wmv
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 12:55am

I thought I was in shape until I started RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program), which was the first time I was run until I puked.

Spend more time on the road and less time in the gym. At 5,9", I went from 160 to 135 lbs, and I never felt better in my life.

If you are stationed stateside, get a good bike. I hate running, so I ride 150 to 200 miles a week. There are usually organised group rides around the larger posts, and you'll be guaranteed a good workout that's alot easier on your legs and back.

For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
thecorpseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecorpseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 1:08am
I don't have that problem cause my docter won't let me do
ANYTHING more or less running.
FAPM- Forumers against PopeMobile.
Thor View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Mr. Pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 9:50am
I am not stationed in the US....i'm not even in the US army....i am a canadian soldier.

laugh if you want...but our standards are just as high as the yanks standards are.

I agree with them wanting us tough, and fit to fight on even past the objective.

Problem still remains. i am in a deployment ready detachment....that means i could go anytime with 48 hrs notice.....what i see are troops being run and worked till they are injured and no longer suited for deployment. that's the issue.

i also have pt induced asthma...that's why i have trouble breathing on the runs.

And for those of you who liken this to football and other sports.i ask you wha your thinking....any soldier at any time is tougher than a football player, both physically and moreso mentaly....

Anyways, any military personnel here find a way to sort this problem out...because the master corporals and some seargents are open to suggestions in my troops....but they have to be just as rugged....just less painful....do you think swimming will corrolate to good pt?
A second class drive is always better than a first class walk.

ClancyWggm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClancyWggm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 9:54am
Where are you stationed?
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by youm0nt youm0nt wrote:

yeah for your size it can be very bad for you.you can "wreck" your knees and puts alot of stress on your feet,knees,hips,etc.thats the only reason i dont like running,high impact. but i still do it. you can get shin splints,tendinitis, and other things.

I doubt this is an option for you, but try to seek a "low impact" alternative. Things like aqua jogging. Like normal running, but you work harder against the resistance of the water, and your joints hardly take any abuse on the bottom of the pool.

Or, these puppies:

ok, I was serious about the first one...
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by hashi2008 hashi2008 wrote:

Dude, you think running (track and CC) is bad on you, try football. Not only do we run 20 50 yrd sprints AFTER hitting and driving for 3 hours, but you have to lift wieghts. By the time most high school level football players are 40, the have serious backa nd joint problems. My dad was a tailback in high school, and when he was 39 he had a herniated(sp) disk in his back. The ammount of stress put on your joints and spine is way more unhealthy than running alone. Another unhealthy sport is wrestling. My cousin was dropped on his neck in the semi-finals of a tournament. The other guy was disqualified, but he had to go on to the championship match injured (he ended up losing rather quickly).

Yeah, but you guys aren't going to get shot at...
WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Anyways, any military personnel here find a way to sort this problem out...because the master corporals and some seargents are open to suggestions in my troops....but they have to be just as rugged....just less painful....do you think swimming will corrolate to good pt?

One unit I was stationed with alternated, Monday: Regular Platoon/Section PT. Tuesday: Sport of choice, generally basketball because most of us in my platoon played in the chow-time softball and flag-football league, Wednesday: Regular Company PT, Thursday: Off or Sport, and Friday: Battalion PT or hump.
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic