Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bronco is...dead...pretty much...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote [FI] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bronco is...dead...pretty much...
    Posted: 24 October 2004 at 6:24pm

Okay, after closer examination and thought:

Remember how it took awhile for my tranny to catch into drive. Yeah...

The tranmission already takes 5 minutes to warm-up. When I put it in Reverse which works immediatly, the engine will slowly die out. It takes about five seconds or so. I can drop it into Neutral without a problem. When Drive won't catch and acts like Neutral, the engine is fine. Once Drive can catch, it dies unless I lay on the gas. If I'm on the break and stopped, it will die.

This dieing takes a bit longer of a warm-up to end, maybe ten minutes.

Any ideas? I'm probably going to replace the transmission, the shift column, and linkage soon.

So, what I need to be looking at, from what people have been telling me, is:
Drive Clutch
Modulator Valve
Torque Converter
Transmission Sensor
Burnt Clutch or Band

Any idea why the engine stalls thought?

Edited by [FI]
Don't believe everything you think

I can resist anything but temptation
MetallicaESPa5 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Doors Of Perception

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetallicaESPa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 6:27pm
Just get a new car. You've had way to many problems with your bronco.

paintballman_13 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballman_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by MetallicaESPa5 MetallicaESPa5 wrote:

Just get a new car. You've had way to many problems with your bronco.

I second that.
[FI] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote [FI] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 6:32pm

I third that.

Cool. $1500.00

waarp8nt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waarp8nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 6:43pm

At this point your trans is beyond a sensor problem.  I am not a Ford person, but on almost any Auto Trans, a failed/locked up Torque Converter can/will cause the vehicle to die or stall when put into gear.  A burnt clutch could slip enough to allow the engine not to die off at times.  Your trans needs replaced or overhauled, either way replace the Torque converter and have the cooler flushed (if you do not flush the cooler, your trans will overheat and fail again).

or...........I 4th that you replace the beast.

Edited by waarp8nt
Tippmann 68 Carbine
D-feed
X-core
Palmer Direct Stabilizer
Ricochet AK hopper
J&J 12" barrel
Y2K cradle/Drop
Trigger Mods

BearClaw View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 7:00pm
STOP DRIVING IT and fix it.  Replace the trans then look inot the engin problem. 

or sell it and get a new vehical

Id sell you mine for the right price lol.
AGD 68 Automag
Azodin KPII
Sheridan PGP2K
Tippmann Crossover XVR
Tippmann ProCarbine
Tippmann SL68-II
Tippmann TiPX
Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 7:23pm
Like I said before, do a manual swap. An auto ina truck is rather lame if you ask me but whatever.
[FI] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote [FI] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2004 at 9:08pm

Too expensive to change to manuel, although for this engine size, that's what it really needs.

I'll get the transmission re-built, flush cooling stuff, and probably tune the carb.

[FI] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote [FI] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 6:22am

Actually, replacing the parts is a lot cheaper since we can just get them and replace them (a friend of mine has rebuilt his entire truck).

Drop out the tranny, have her re-built....

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 10:10am
Like I said before in yer other thread.....the problem you have is because you have a F.O.R.D.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 2:33pm
Have you replaced the air filter and fuel filter? Or at least checked it?
Always check the easy things first, then move to the bigger, more expensice things...

Like I said before, my car was stalling out and I replaced the air filter. Now it runs well again.
BearClaw View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 7:08pm
Hey Evil fingurs keep saying that as the FORD tow truck comes to tow you off the side of the road LOL.

I have my truck closeing in on 200k and (Knock on wood) it runs like a champ. I work on Chevys and Fords every day and the Fords plain out hold up better.  Fords are ALOT beefier for proof take a look at the fron end setup of a GM 3500 with its 3/4" draglinks and tierods to the fords F350s 1 1/4".  The Gm brakes look like they came off a honda civic while the fords look like they came off a semi.  The GM  runs a Single piston caliper for the front brake setup while the Fords run a Twin piston setup.
The ford 7.3L Diesel engines hold from 10-17L of oil were as the Chevys WHIMPY 6.5L Diesel hold only 8L. 

Now if you say your a DODGE man i'll have a little more respect for ya but chebys just dont intrest me when it comes to trucks.  Dodge has a GOOD engine (Diesel Cummins) and a decent truck (My buddy has one) but they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.
AGD 68 Automag
Azodin KPII
Sheridan PGP2K
Tippmann Crossover XVR
Tippmann ProCarbine
Tippmann SL68-II
Tippmann TiPX
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 7:11pm
Cars that don't work really suck...
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
keithx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:59pm

my bronco is being born again hard...

• explorer pro comp 4" lift
  • 35x12.5 baja claws on MT Classic IIs
  • custom made skid plates and rock rails
  • Warn XD9000 Winch
  • Adj. coil over shocks
  • KC Daylighters and lightbar
  • Dual batteries w/ Mean Green HO alternator

If your engine is stalling with your foot on the brake like that... thats what happened to me... and it was the transmission modulator... it's like a $20 part and the installation is really easy... from what you PM'd me it sounds like you burnt a lot of the fluid... drain your pan... and while your at it do a gasket/filter... get as much of the old fluid out... drain the trans cooler lines running to the radiator... fill up with clean ATF... replace that modulator... see if that helps...

I prefer .223 over .68
---------------------
A-5 R/T
Flatline w/ F/X SD shroud
F/X Sniper stock
Intruder Assault Foregrip
SpecterGear CQB 3pt Sling
Crossfire 68/4500 (coming soon)
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 5:59am

get a toyota, like a mid 80's pickup with a 22R in it.

They run forever

Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
the_blade View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<esser is more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 7:09am
your timing chain or belt skipped a tooth so you motor has absolutly no torque behind it and thus dies off that would be my guess it could be a number of other things also.
95 base neon 3.0 cai, knifedged crankshaft 60 mill throttle body,14 crane cam crane springs/retainers eagle rods port matched/ polished intake p&p head shaved .015 phantom grip diff dohc exuast
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by BearClaw BearClaw wrote:

STOP DRIVING IT and fix it.  Replace the trans then look inot the engin problem. 

or sell it and get a new vehical

Id sell you mine for the right price lol.

And preferably not one you have to Fix Or Repair Daily.
Real Men Love Cheeses
For Honor View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike, stupid sexual slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Honor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 4:31pm
solipsism, love the sig, but miss the storm trooper avatar
HondaXR View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Makes Foxworthy Look Like a Yankee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HondaXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

get a toyota, like a mid 80's pickup with a 22R in it.

They run forever

Hell yes get one of those suckers...Im looking for me a decent 4x4 'yota for a everyday driver and putting a lift and tires on my old CHEVY and turning it into a bogger.

SL68II
Pro/Am
68 Carbine
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by BearClaw BearClaw wrote:

Hey Evil fingurs keep saying that as the FORD tow truck comes to tow you off the side of the road LOL.

I have my truck closeing in on 200k and (Knock on wood) it runs like a champ. I work on Chevys and Fords every day and the Fords plain out hold up better.  Fords are ALOT beefier for proof take a look at the fron end setup of a GM 3500 with its 3/4" draglinks and tierods to the fords F350s 1 1/4".  The Gm brakes look like they came off a honda civic while the fords look like they came off a semi.  The GM  runs a Single piston caliper for the front brake setup while the Fords run a Twin piston setup.
The ford 7.3L Diesel engines hold from 10-17L of oil were as the Chevys WHIMPY 6.5L Diesel hold only 8L. 

Now if you say your a DODGE man i'll have a little more respect for ya but chebys just dont intrest me when it comes to trucks.  Dodge has a GOOD engine (Diesel Cummins) and a decent truck (My buddy has one) but they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

Well, when my old 87 Dodge Caravan broke down I got lucky.....the tow truck was a Flatbed GMC truck from Triple A

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic