Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A more accurate paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heretic98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A more accurate paintball
    Posted: 29 October 2004 at 4:03am

Heres my idea to make paintballs more accurate, make them football shaped and add a third ribbon in the middle to seperate the fill into halves. This would allow for rifling. In a standard paintball rifling doesn't work because the fill won't spin but with it spilt into 2 equal halves it would. The reason for the football shape is to ensure that paintball would spin properly. Think of a paintball as a glass of ice water. If you try to spin it the ice doesn't move (like a pb's fill) but with something splitting the glass down the center the ice will spin with the cup. Obviously this new paintball wouldn't work in a standard marker but a breech loaded or magazine feed marker could easily be made. Here is an example of what I mean, red is one half of the fill, blue is the other.

For more info on how a paintball is made click here

Most people will assume you're a disturbed goth-child after looking at your sig. -AdmiralSenn
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 4:05am
As with all the other change-the-shape ideas, the problem is twofold. Manufacturing processes would need to be different (lots of money), and you couldnt use gravity high-capacity loaders.

Ive also never understood why people say paintballs dont spin right. The mere existance of the flatline barrel proves that they do. So does work done by AGD with high-speed cameras.

Edited by Enos Shenk
Heretic98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heretic98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 10:01am
I could care less about high capacity, I'm a big fan of accuracy over volume. I know it would be expensive to make a new type of paintball but if it did offer a huge improvement in accuracy I think it would sell like crazy.

Most people will assume you're a disturbed goth-child after looking at your sig. -AdmiralSenn
paintballer2584 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
-me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer2584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 10:30am
they have already had ideas of this the  it neaver came into market they are no guns that would be able to load this kind of pb thay would have to get a deal with a marker company to try and make this but it would just be a wast of mony for the company when the company could make more mony with just making new barrels and better pbs and better guns
Ethos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 10:40am

I really doubt that it would sell like crazy.  The speedballers won't necessarily need greater accuracy because of such proximity in their games.  The concern about the amount of paint sprayed is greater than the accuracy so it won't sell like hotcakes.  For woodsballers, it might be a more viable market, but think of it this way: if a paint co. decides to make only football-shaped pballs, then they're limiting their market to only woodsball players; if they keep with their round pballs, they are open to both markets, and thus gain more profits.  You may very well get a cult following with the greater accuracy, but not enough to provide a big enough profit to pball co. now, so this is mostly impractical unless you become an independent manufacturer.  You might find a decent-enough market in the government and convince them that using paintball markers and football-shaped pballs in cartridges would give a bit more of a realistic flare to training (you actually see the spot you hit instead of hearing it, and you actually feel the hit.)

P.S. The idea is good though.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 1:16pm

Ethos, that appeal to government wouldn't work- we've already got our own paintball absed training system called Simunitions. There's standard bullet cartridges with a lower powered propellant, a soft plastic round filled with paint, with a crushable tip. They come in a variety of calibres and colours, and can be fired from most firearms with moderate-no conversion, depending on the weapon and the cimunitions calibre. Firing the 9mm simuntions out of our C7s (M16 variant) for example, requires swapping the upper receiver on the rifle- but apparently simunitions of smaller calibres have been developed that should make this easier.

They're MUCH mroe powerful than paintballs, and mroe accurate- the safety gear we use is stronger. (although the mask fogs like hell and drives us all nuts). One guy was killed with a sim round once becuase he wasn't wearing his neck protector, and it went through his trachea.

Some units with lower budgets simply buy platoon sets of markers- generally 98s, and use them for urban combat practice. the military, then, is already covered in terms of paint based training tools, as are the police. A enw system would just be another logistical nightmare we don't need.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 1:31pm

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Ive also never understood why people say paintballs dont spin right. The mere existance of the flatline barrel proves that they do. So does work done by AGD with high-speed cameras.

Different issue.  The Flatline proves that the SHELL spins.  The shell spin interacts with the air, changing the trajectory of the paintball.

But the gyroscopic stability gained by travel-axis rotation (like a bullet) cannot be achieved to a meaningful degree by spinning the shell alone - not enough mass relative to the whole paintball.  If the entire paintball could be made to spin like a bullet, there would, in theory, be much to gain in terms of accuracy.

Bounty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 1:47pm
yeah what he said ^^^
PBinfonater View Drop Down

Strike 1: Disrespectful Behavior H-25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBinfonater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 10:09pm

why make them like footballs to ustable down the barrel and most that stuff u mention could be done with the barrel not the pb

just make cylinder pb's and use u magezine idea and get a riffled barrel as for makin the pb spin as a "whole" just put a plastic membrane all the way down the cylinder of the pb and that would make the paint spin with the shell 

Edited by PBinfonater
There is no "I" in "Team", but there sure is a "Me".
Tippmann A-5
RT
Flatline
Chrome Bullet drop with on/off
Male Palmer
Internal Polish
Stainless Steel kit
reincarnation14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reincarnation14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 2:37pm
yea i thought of that a while back but their r barrels that will make it spin and i thought of makin like a bullet too but it would still b hard as anything to make
Diablo Mongoose 2
18in CP Barrel
adjustdable feedneck
FAPM-Formers Againts Pope Mobile

The South WILL Rise Again
reincarnation14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reincarnation14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 2:38pm
it was a good idea tho and it was pretty smart of u to think it up
Diablo Mongoose 2
18in CP Barrel
adjustdable feedneck
FAPM-Formers Againts Pope Mobile

The South WILL Rise Again
Bounty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 3:40pm
You may have to make a whole new gun to get it to work. loading would be a pain with any current gun.
roadrunner0535 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadrunner0535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 3:47pm
i was just talking to my dad about doing that 2 my barrel and seeing how it would turn out(stock barrel...not my ultralite)...it worked quite well except that i didn't sand the inside of the barrel after rifling it...so some balls broke...but it does werk with regular pballs...just some wont spin the rite way...so some will act like the barrel isn't rifled and curve a bit and the others will go straight...it also add a lil' distance 2 my shot aswell
98c seclusion
14" dye ultralite
rufus dawg 2x stick trigg
remote
full-auto mod
My 98C
100% smart parts
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 5:12pm

Originally posted by reincarnation14 reincarnation14 wrote:

it was a good idea tho and it was pretty smart of u to think it up

He isn't the first...

By far, he isn't the first...

You have no idea how many times I've seen this idea suggested in my time at this forum (a little over a year now).

Most importantly - People suck.
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 4:31pm
Theres only 1 type of marker that could shoot that kind of paintball round....the classic SL-68II.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 4:54pm
it would be cool to have ones that are bullet shaped, football shaped is just not practical or possible. i think it would be easy to make a two peiced shell like a pill. one pointy half, one blunt half. but would that rip apart in the barrel? if this worked maybe you could have bolt-action paintball guns, and maybe making snipers in paintball actualy possible. but i doubt it wold work, im just brainstorming.
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 6:33pm

Originally posted by triggerhappy1 triggerhappy1 wrote:

it would be cool to have ones that are bullet shaped, football shaped is just not practical or possible. i think it would be easy to make a two peiced shell like a pill. one pointy half, one blunt half. but would that rip apart in the barrel? if this worked maybe you could have bolt-action paintball guns, and maybe making snipers in paintball actualy possible. but i doubt it wold work, im just brainstorming.

You need to pay attention, the idea of a bullet shaped paintball round has already has been answered by Brihard.

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 7:30pm
guess i missed that. i just scanned through it. i still think a bolt action paintball gun would be cool though.

Edited by triggerhappy1
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2004 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Different issue.  The Flatline proves that the SHELL spins.  The shell spin interacts with the air, changing the trajectory of the paintball.

But the gyroscopic stability gained by travel-axis rotation (like a bullet) cannot be achieved to a meaningful degree by spinning the shell alone - not enough mass relative to the whole paintball.  If the entire paintball could be made to spin like a bullet, there would, in theory, be much to gain in terms of accuracy.

It seems to me that if only the shell spins, the rotation would stop almost immediately, slowed by the non-moving fill.

Ive just never bought the paint doesnt spin argument, it bloody well does because you can take a round out of a bag and spin it on the table.
Heretic98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heretic98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 5:12am
Thanks to everyone who like the idea but I just thought I'd mention that I chose the football shape not to improve aerodynamics but to ensure the seperate fills would line up properly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic