Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feather upgrade idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrostSquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feather upgrade idea
    Posted: 30 October 2004 at 3:53pm

I have been thinking of installing a ball brake that uses a perment magnet, a spring, and an acrylic feather replacing the normal feather on a 68carbine and a magnetic coil to pull it down each time under it.   this would be linked to the sear pin with a contact switch in the grip.    Other then the work in the grip I dont see any need for drilling of the reciever for this. 

parts:

2ft 18gaugewire

1 copper strip(homemade contact switch)

1 magnet(dremel it down to 2 to 3mm)

1 ferric slug

1 one light spring

1 peice of scrap polymer( feather) old acrylic water bottle loks like it would work

1 power supply(depends on flux of magnet and strenght of spring in question)

the feather would have to be drilled for a pin in back and in front to mount magnet and maybe to fix the spring into the piece.

a second piece of acrylic would stand as the fixed spot for the spring and pin to mount to.  

the ferric slug would be wrapped by the wire striped of rubber but coated in something like mylar tape to make the EM field.

the foregrip mounts could be used to hold the assembly in place on the receiver.

What do you think?

Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 5:06pm

I have no idea.

But it seems like 18 ga would be kind of big for this application...

Derr... exactaly how much current are we talking?

Are you using solid or stranded wire?

<other stuff>

Most importantly - People suck.
FrostSquirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrostSquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 10:41pm

solid wire.... I can also get enameled wire off an AM coil antenna if I need to go real light  gauge else i have some chokes I can unwind.

power to start with I was thinking of a cr-2 lithium 3v

ItalianoGuy04 View Drop Down
Strike 1, lewd questions, 2/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItalianoGuy04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 4:40pm
i mite work.. what would be the point thou?

Supe'd up Spyda Victor, don't like it, don't care
FrostSquirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrostSquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 7:00pm

Well most the 68s I have seen will force another ball into the chamber if the back pressure of the balls in the hopper works one in.

I find this happens when you charge down a path after the horn blows to get into position.    after sprinting into position I find my first shot will be a double almost always.   I have replaced the feather before but I would rather find a better way to hold the ball in position before firing and the Idea of completely clearing the chamber on the at of firing with out the drag on the bottom from the feather would be interesting to try.    ...I know the drag is nothing really but why not try anyways. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic