Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 setup what do you guys think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *K!ll3rdog* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 setup what do you guys think?
    Posted: 11 November 2004 at 7:38pm
Hello

This is my first post in here.
I've only played PB five times but I'm loving it.
The guys and I are getting our own markers, A-5's, with different setups.
Mine will be:

A-5
Flatline
E-grip
Crossfire 68/3000 Fiber
32 large black drop forward
Dye black tank cover

Any suggestions/views on this setup?
As I am a newbie I would greatly appreciate your oppinions before I place the order.
I have spent 100 hours or more at www.pbreview.com trying to figure out which items to get but as I am inexperienced I would like to know if guys think there is something I've overlooked or shouldn't get?

Thanks
A-5 bunkerking View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1, inappropriate sig. 3/11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 bunkerking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 10:13pm

your really jumpping into upgrading and dumping alot into paintball really early.

take it from someone that was just like you, paintball is a huge money pit. its a great sport and all, but i got trapped down into the " i have to have the coolest stuff, the fastest gun, etc" i spent soo much money on the sport and im really suffering from that now.
 do yourself a favor and just play with a stock a-5 for now, maybe a barrel if you wish. but dumping over 500 right off the bat isnt a good thing.

as for pbreview. it is known to be pretty biased. i wouldnt put too much trust in that site, but thanks for doin some research first.

good luck with your choices

*K!ll3rdog* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *K!ll3rdog* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:02pm
I appreciate your advice but your time is wasted I am just like you, I want a cool gun that rocks right from the start. And the financial part of the deal is of no or little importance.
What I'm looking for is advice about the setup, what would be wise to change, what might be cooler, etc...

Paintball is so much fun and I know that I'm gonna invest a lot of time and money in it so I just wanna get it right, from the start and do everything whole-heartedly....
jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:08pm

lol bunker, that made me laugh when i read his post.

Yes you upgrades look good if u dont care about money, but i would suggest::

palmers stablizer

Definitly double trigger

92ci 4500 tank < crossfire makes some nice ones and so does Dye if your looking for a highend 1

Paint your marker bright pink because no1 has done that yet and you will be my hero if u do that lol

GL paintballing its freakin fun

A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *K!ll3rdog* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 11:24pm
Thank you!

I will definately look into Palmers stabilizer and the double trigger. What does the Palmers stabilizer do?
As for the tank, isn't it a bit big?
And as for being the first guy in the woods with a bright pink marker,
even though it would match my pumps and purse, wouldn't it give me away?

Edited by *K!ll3rdog*
RobertPulson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertPulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 11:13am

You really should think about what A-5 said though.  Are you playing woodsball?  I started off playing woodsball and got a C98 and hooked it up til the hilt.  Spent money on all woodsballs equipment because I loved it so much and didn't think I would every like speedball better.  Then after 6 months I found an indoor speedball field with air conditioning (in South Florida) and I tried it out. 

Well good by hot and humid slow placed woodsball, and hello cool indoor andrenaline pumping speedball.  And goodbye to all the money I spent on woodsball because I needed a new marker, clothes, harness, pretty much everything.

Gave up the camo for speedball pants, jersey, harness, goggles, and now have a DM4 with a bigger tank.  And let me tell you ... I can throw on some camo and use my speedball setup in the woods and still whoop up on anyone out there ... but I can't take my woodsball setup on the speedball course and truly compete.  I can keep up with the rec/newbs ... but no way can I compete against the higher level guys the way I want to.  Not to mention you could get a lower end top end gun for as much as what you will pay for your A-5 w/upgrades, maybe less!

So that's the only thing you should really think about.  High end markers come in black and even olive as well to give you versatality.  With an A-5 or 98 you can have the range advantage, but sometimes that doesn't matter when someone has you pinned down with a 18-25bps marker and you can't even get a shot off.

But with that said, I have a Crossfire tank and it seems to be a bit heaver than some other brands.  I would check out some other and see which one feels nice to you.  Definintely get Fiber Wrapped and get a cover.  JT and Dye have nice covers. The size of the tank depends on how much you shoot.  92/45 is a back player's speedball tank.  Overkill for the woods if you ask me.  I suggest a 68/45.  If you shoot very little and only pick your shots, you could get away with a 68/3000. If you are really into woodsball ... look into getting a remote line.  I love using a remote in the woods.  It really takes some weight off your already heavy A-5.  It may take a bit to get used to but after a couple times out you will love it.  I would definitely go with the E-grip over a R/T, and definitely a double trigger.  It does make a difference even with a R/T or Egrip. 

Palmers stablelizer will give you better consistencey with your air, thus giving you better shot accuracy and a little better air effiency.  Add a LP (low pressure) kit to your A-5 along with the Palmer's.

Everything else looks good.  I love the Flatline for the A-5.  If you get a remote line you don't need a drop.  Me personally I like using a stock on my woodsball marker for support, then using a remote line and keeping my tank on my back.  Oh and get a marker sling.  Man that is the best upgrade I have on my 98 when playing woods.  I can run faster and my arms are not half as tired at the end of the day.  Look for a 3point sling that is fully adjustable.  Don't get a cheap one.

Look at the Automags as well.  They were originally used as woods ball guns, super durable.  But have more versatilty when playing speedball.  Impulses are good tough, fast markers as well.  If you are really really sure you are primarily going to be playing woodsball, then stick with the A-5 and the suggested upgrades.

Goodluck and at least try some good organized speedball with some nice air bunkers a coulple of times before committing to woods.  I thought everyone was talking outta there assets when they said all the real players were into speedball, but the strategy and skill is much higher.  Not to metion the rush you get is SOOOO much higher.  I still love to play woodsball, but speedball with nice grass or turf to slide across, sup air bunkers, and thousands of paintballs being fired at you from every angle is the way to go. 

Edited by RobertPulson
THE AMAZING SPACE MONKEY!

Sunday Paintball!
(THE NEW CHURCH!!!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *K!ll3rdog* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 11:44am

Thank you for posting your advice!

I heard that the E-grip and LP-kit weren't compatible, is there any truth to this?

As for the tank issue I've already bought a scuba tank with approx. 3360psi so I wouldn't be able to fill a tank with 4500psi  And anything above 68 will probably be to big.

What kind of Palmers Stabilizer should I buy...-male/female?

I think I'm gonna go with the drop for now since i think it looks really cool

I'm a newb so I don't even know what speedball is about? And all of my mates are buying the A-5 and we live in the woods so we'll probably want to go out playing here any way even if we should fall victim to the speedball-flu

Also I live in Norway where prices for pb-gear are approx. the double of what you guys pay in the states and since we are importing from the US we can probably get a decent sec.hand price for our used gear when/if we would sell it here.

I'll probably get the remote as well just so I can try it out but palmer stabilizer AND LP-kit is not on my budget for now so I will have to stick with one of them for now, which one should prioritize?

Hey it's christmas soon maybe I can persuade the Mrs'
to buy me the other?

Edited by *K!ll3rdog*
The Danish guy... from Norway
Not da pope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not da pope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 9:13pm
I like it and in my experience with tippmanns the less you change the better they run.

^Not me!^
A-5kid View Drop Down

GUESTED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2004 at 9:51pm
If you are getting an E-grip i would toatally get the jcs duel trigger, they kick anus. you can max out the cyclone feed! Lighter shorter trigger pull. and incase you do get into speedball, you can shoot fast, not as fast as an angel or any thing but fast enouph to kick butt! it is the best tigger on the market, get it.
A-5
Flatline
phyco B drop
32* Expansion chamber
JCS duel trigger
homemade sling
Trigger mod
E-grip

violence is not the answer, its a hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *K!ll3rdog* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2004 at 1:03pm
I want to thank you all for your oppinions, I have decided for this setup:

• A-5
  • Flatline
  • E-Grip
  • Palmers Stabilizer
  • Crossfire 68/3000 Fiber
  • 32 Large Drop black
  • JCS Dual Trigger
  • DYE Tank Cover black
  • Vforce Morph Goggles gun metal
I will post a picture of it as soon as I get the marker (should be around  Dec. 1.)
The Danish guy... from Norway
crossman33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2004 at 2:15pm

Robert, I definitely agree with you.  I first went into paintball thinking all woods but then I saw things like NPPL of Fox, etc. and just really loved the idea and am now addicted to speedball/airball.  Thank God this came before I bought my equipment.

In my opinion, the A-5 is a great gun for both woods and speedball, except high level tournaments.  Really the only difference I would make is flatline barrel for woods and maybe an ultralite or all-american for speedball.

Nice setup you chose otherwise.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic