Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freedom of Speech, yea right....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freedom of Speech, yea right....
    Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:44pm

I'm sure some of you have heard the story about the christians getting arrested at the pink angel lesbian convention.  Well, these 11 christians are facing 47 years in prison a piece, in accusation of "hate crimes".  But in a better note, these 11 christians are countersueing.

http://www.family.org/cforum/fnif/news/a0034738.cfm

I forgot the new law, You have the right to freedom of speech unless your a christian, and then your basic rights are taking away from you......

Jonner View Drop Down
ur teh guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:46pm
500....(posts) but yeh back to topic
thats really bad...i dont see who would be dumb enough to actually think about even taking them to court
Juggernaut View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juggernaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:48pm

Freedom of Speech is the most overused law suit I've ever heard.

I'll read the article now.

I just hate people playing the Freedom of Speech card, its almost as bad as the race card.

not cool whoever delted the visitors!anyways, ill start again
i am a loser **edited**!!!HAHA
http://www.tubgirl.com
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:48pm
They'll win in court. Most judges are against **edited**s and they didnt do anything wrong.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:49pm
Why not just leave them (the **edited** community) the hell alone? Is it that hard to just stay out of people's lives? I guess so, but now they will see what it's like to be on the other side of the fence.
Frozen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:55pm
I hope they win.
Ilovepaintball1 View Drop Down
Guested. Trouble maker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilovepaintball1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Frozen Frozen wrote:

I hope they win.

Me too

Props to my Dogg BLAND
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:02pm

To tell you the truth, I don't give a (hoot) either way.

Homosexuals are people too; we might as well give them their rights.

(Edit: Damn forum filter.)

Edited by Belt #2
Most importantly - People suck.
MuRdoc18 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
aka ALWAYSRIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuRdoc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:03pm
Marcavage was charged with five misdemeanors and three felonies, which included ethnic intimidation, criminal conspiracy and inciting a riot.

Wow, who's the idiot that charged them...

Member of Forumer Against Most Forumers.
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by MuRdoc18 MuRdoc18 wrote:

Marcavage was charged with five misdemeanors and three felonies, which included ethnic intimidation, criminal conspiracy and inciting a riot.

Wow, who's the idiot that charged them...

More like what idiot judge allowed it to even become a case.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:20pm

Of course, using a political website as the only source of a story is never a good idea.  Additional perspectives are always useful.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/10381186.htm?1 c

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=%5CCulture%5Carc hive%5C200412%5CCUL20041216c.html

http://www.365**edited**.com/newscon04/12/121304philCourt.ht m

And, I suspect, none of these completely capture the actual event.  It would be wise not to prejudge, in either direction.  That's why we have trials.  Maybe we can keep the band-wagon jumping to a miminum...

(And, BTW, if the law they are charged with breaking is unconstitutional, the trial judge can't do anything about that, but has to convict anyway.  That's what appeals are for.)

EDIT - the darn filter killed the third link.  Try this one

EDITEDIT - Grr.  Well, as you probably figured out, the censored part of the URL is g a y.

Edited by Clark Kent
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:26pm

I sense a giant debate coming. One of which only Clark and a few others will be able to comprehend.

Originally posted by Juggernaut Juggernaut wrote:

Freedom of Speech is the most overused law suit I've ever heard.

I'll read the article now.

I just hate people playing the Freedom of Speech card, its almost as bad as the race card.

I agree. Close to everybody that uses it uses it in a different way than that of our founding fathers meant when writing the declaration of independence.

\/ \/ why thank you :)

Edited by Gatyr
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:27pm
^^I was waiting for you to post.....

It seems that only the middle link worked, which just stated what was said earlier.  Christians read bible verses and were charged.  There may be another story, but I've google'd and look and nothing has came up and there has been no statments made by the plantiff or anything that I've found.

Edited by tippy_182

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:31pm

Since I apparently suck at linking, I'll cut 'n paste.  My apologies for long post:

Evangelists lose ruling in protest at Outfest

A judge refused to throw out the charges. Hearings for 10 of the 11 are scheduled Tuesday.

By Joseph A. Slobodzian

Inquirer Staff Writer

A federal judge yesterday refused to block the local prosecution of 11 Christian evangelists arrested Oct. 10 in a confrontation at the "Outfest" **edited**-pride block party in Center City.

U.S. District Judge Petrese B. Tucker denied in a one-paragraph order the injunction requested last Friday by the American Family Association, a Mississippi-based conservative Christian "family values" group that is defending the 11.

American Family Association attorney Brian Fahling said he would file an emergency appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit to reverse Tucker's ruling and block the prosecutions.

Preliminary hearings for 10 of those arrested are set for Tuesday in Philadelphia Municipal Court. A separate hearing for a juvenile arrested was set for today, but Fahling said it had been postponed.

Last Friday, Fahling argued that the arrests and prosecution of Repent America director Michael Marcavage and his fellow protesters violated their free-speech rights.

Members of the group were arrested on charges including criminal conspiracy, rioting and ethnic intimidation after a loud, heated confrontation with a group of "Pink Angels" at the Outfest.

Lawyers for the city and District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham argued that Tucker should follow the U.S. Supreme Court's 1971 "Younger doctrine," which tells federal judges not to intervene in state court criminal cases unless there is compelling evidence that the prosecution was brought in bad faith or for purposes of harassment.

Fahling said a video of the Oct. 10 confrontation showed Marcavage speaking through a bullhorn while he and his supporters were being shouted down by irate **edited** activists.

City officials said the video did not show the start of the confrontation, when they said Marcavage tried to interrupt a performance with his anti**edited** preaching and then disobeyed a police order to move to the perimeter of the Outfest to avoid the potential for violence.

----------------------------------------

(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) A preliminary hearing will begin Tuesday for 11 evangelists arrested after a confrontation at a **edited** festival.

Repent America director Michael Marcavage and 10 followers were charged with criminal conspiracy, rioting and ethnic intimidation after they attempted to break up the October 10 Outfest **edited** pride block party in Center City.

A motion to block the prosecution was rejected by U.S. District Judge Petrese B. Tucker.

Repent America is represented by the  Mississippi-based American Family Association which is involved in a number of cases across the country opposing **edited** rights. 

AFA attorney Brian Fahling called the arrests "harassment" of Christians and said that the charges violated the protesters' freedom of speech.

Judge Tucker in a single sentence ruling rejected the argument.

The confrontation began when the 11 protestors marched to the front of a stage at Outfest and began to yell out Biblical passages to drown out the events on stage.

Police attempted to get the protestors to move to to an area on the edge of the site.  Instead they went deeper into the **edited** crowd.  Using a bullhorn they condemned homosexuality.  They then got into an argument with a group of Pink Angels, who screamed back.

It was at that point police intervened arresting the 11.

"They were not prohibited from preaching," said Karen Brancheau, a lawyer for the District Attorney's Office. "A reasonable request was made to prevent a situation from becoming dangerous to their own safety as well as the safety of the participants."

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:32pm
"But the event's volunteer homosexual security team, the Pink Angels, corralled the group with large sheets of Styrofoam while blowing whistles to drown out their voices."
slacker guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested - Dodge 2/8/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slacker guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:33pm
well the kkk can set up a podiam and start sayin how much they
hate blacks and spanish and jewish people with police
protection so y should the christians

SebastianBlack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master & Commander of the T*W*A*T

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebastianBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:33pm
Freedom of Speech does not give you the freedom to march over other peoples rights. Freedom of Speech is not what most people assume it is.
FFKFASOFAA
Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehn
kann man uns am Himmel sehn
wir haben Angst und sind allein

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:48pm

The "ethnic intimidation" charge caught my attention.  I haven't found any news article listing specifics, but I am guessing that this is the statute:

§ 2710. Ethnic intimidation

(a) Offense defined. - A person commits the offense of ethnic intimidation if, with malicious intention toward the race, color, religion or national origin of another individual or group of individuals, he commits an offense under any other provision of this article or under Chapter 33 (relating to arson, criminal mischief and other property destruction) exclusive of section 3307 (relating to institutional vandalism) or under section 3503 (relating to criminal trespass) or under section 3504 (relating to harassment by communication or address) with respect to such individual or his or her property or with respect to one or more members of such group or to their property.

Nothing about homosexuality there.  So presumably somebody is at least alledging some racial issue as well, or arguing that this fits into the "religion" part.  Who knows.  We just don't have enough information.

But, as pointed out above, freedom to speak does not equate to freedom to speak anywhere you want.  The Klan is welcome to host a rally - just not in the middle of a NAACP rally.

MetallicaESPa5 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Doors Of Perception

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetallicaESPa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:51pm
Go Lesbians!!!

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 7:58pm

Ok, If the article is 100% accurate, I agree that the people should have the feedom of speech to do what they were doing. Do I agree with what they were doing? No, But the people singing the hyms and protesting have just as much of a right to be there as the homosexuals do.

But.

With charges such as ethnic intimidation, criminal conspiracy and inciting a riot on the table, I get the feeling there is more to this story that what we are being told.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic