Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freedom of Speech, yea right....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:19am

You think the world is better off without slavery, and so do I.  Enough people felt otherwise at the time to fight a war about it.

My point with the historical examples is how much people differ on what would seem to be central or obvious points.

Are we "better off" now than 30 years ago?  Depends on who you ask.  Is slavery good or bad?  Depends on who you ask.

Some viewpoints are more popular than others, but I don't see that this makes them more absolutely correct than others.

You and I might agree on what a good yardstick is for better, but Osama would probably disagree.  Who's to say that we are right and he is wrong?

Your objective outcomes of history are anything but.  People are forever arguing about what "would have been" had x decision been made instead of y decision.  Many people still think it would have been better to have let the South secede and continue with slavery; others think it would have been better to have shipped the blackamoors back from whence they came; others think we shouldn't have dropped the bomb.

There is disagreement, for virtually every historical "fact", as to whether or not that decision/fact was for the "better".

I see no universal yardstick. 

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

You think the world is better off without slavery, and so do I.  Enough people felt otherwise at the time to fight a war about it.

My point with the historical examples is how much people differ on what would seem to be central or obvious points.

Are we "better off" now than 30 years ago?  Depends on who you ask.  Is slavery good or bad?  Depends on who you ask.

Some viewpoints are more popular than others, but I don't see that this makes them more absolutely correct than others.

You and I might agree on what a good yardstick is for better, but Osama would probably disagree.  Who's to say that we are right and he is wrong?

Your objective outcomes of history are anything but.  People are forever arguing about what "would have been" had x decision been made instead of y decision.  Many people still think it would have been better to have let the South secede and continue with slavery; others think it would have been better to have shipped the blackamoors back from whence they came; others think we shouldn't have dropped the bomb.

There is disagreement, for virtually every historical "fact", as to whether or not that decision/fact was for the "better".

I see no universal yardstick. 

If we (humanity) were to finally put an end to war in some far off generation, in the view you present here.

That would be neither good nor bad? (better or worst) Because some people think war is good? And most think it is bad?

Edited by Barretm82
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:44am

For all those who thought it good, it would be good.

For all those who thought it bad, it would be bad.

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 9:15am
I agree Clark, that what you say is "in absolute terms correct." I understand it, I acknowledge it.

The point that is so contentious in my thoughts is, "I don't see how we can take the humanity out of being human". (Rhetorical) ...by doing so are we not discarding or ignoring something fundamentally precious although it may not be "absolute" tangible.

As always, great discussion, thanks for taking the time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 9:20am

It's like the search for beauty...

One of my college philosophy professors spent most of her career trying to find an absolute standard for "beauty" - not in the Halle Berry sense necessarily, just something that was the essence of beauty in a thing, for all times, for all people.

I think she's still looking.

:)

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2005 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

It's like the search for beauty...

One of my college philosophy professors spent most of her career trying to find an absolute standard for "beauty" - not in the Halle Berry sense necessarily, just something that was the essence of beauty in a thing, for all times, for all people.

I think she's still looking.

Yes beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, just as better is, but never take it too far and strip the humanity (soul) from it.

Edited by Barretm82
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 5:37pm

Going back to the original post in this thread, the issue appears to be settled now:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050217/us_ nm/rights_speech_dc

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 5:42pm
In history today, when learning about slavery, this black kid said he was going to go to England and make a massacre because of slavery.
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 5:45pm
what a idiot^
Atreyu View Drop Down
Strike 1 - dodge 2/12/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atreyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 5:57pm

If anywon here went to the superfest for the superbowl, the would have seen a huge religious protest, people walking around with signs condemming christians and all this stuff. The cops around didnt care. Now these people get arrested for protesting. This is why sometimes i think every1 in this country is retarded.

If you wanna serve up above or be a King down below with us your welcome the City where your future is set forever.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:01pm
Its politicly incorrect to be christian.
Silence Dogood View Drop Down
1 strike, language. 2/28

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence Dogood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:01pm

To quote the article:

But the event's volunteer homosexual security team, the Pink Angels, corralled the group with large sheets of Styrofoam while blowing whistles to drown out their voices.

::sniffs::

I smell bull**edited**. I do not take this seriously at all. It seems like the workings of Fark to me.

Christianity is weird anyways. I went to a private catholic school for 13 years from Kindergarden through Senior year, and what a load it was. In 2002, the Pope ruled that **edited**s and lesbians are genetically pre-disposed to be that way. In addition, to act upon homosecual nature is considered to be the gravest of sins. Thats right. The Pope admitted that if you a genetically pre-disposed to be **edited**, God has no room for you.

Pope: "I am sorry if you wanna be Christian, but God doesn't want you worshipping him. Try the synagouge."

Now keep in mind, in 2004, Boston allowed an openly-**edited** priest to continue practicing. I don't through around the word Hypocrit alot... but the church is a hypocrit.

I am the firmist in believers in the fact that you do not need an intermediary between yourself and God. You go to church to fill the collection plate, not to pray. You can pray in the comfort of your own humble abode. You don't need any sort of formal institution to practice or affirm your faith. Just pray.

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset.
-Kill them all. God will know his own.

Face me, lest I find justice in the slaughter of your family.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Its politicly incorrect to be christian.

It certainly appears that the police/DAs in this case overstepped their bounds.

That's too bad.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:14pm
I think your right, over all, i think we have a good system, its not perfect by anymeans. But i think it does ok, when it works, we dont hear a thing, but when the system fails, thats when its plastered all over the news.
R4M-Z3T View Drop Down
Guested, F-bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R4M-Z3T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:23pm
lolz 11 christians. who gives a F. i hope they get whats coming to them. any who.... how many ppl in here actualy thinks there is a "god" or higher power? with are sience today we are proving god wrong. and if ur gunna say 0o0o who made the life. then who made god?
my A-5 and GX-4
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:59pm

CHORUS:
Who made who, who made you?
Who made who, ain't nobody told you?
Who made who, who made you?
If you made them and they made you
Who picked up the bill, and who made who? (or who picked up the
glue,...)(?)

Who made who, who turned the screw?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by R4M-Z3T R4M-Z3T wrote:

lolz 11 christians. who gives a F. i hope they get whats coming to them. any who.... how many ppl in here actualy thinks there is a "god" or higher power? with are sience today we are proving god wrong. and if ur gunna say 0o0o who made the life. then who made god?

Who made god? Are you that dense?
R4M-Z3T View Drop Down
Guested, F-bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R4M-Z3T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 7:36pm
lol that song was leet. dense...?
my A-5 and GX-4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by R4M-Z3T R4M-Z3T wrote:

lolz 11 christians. who gives a F.

All rational people.

Quote .... how many ppl in here actualy thinks there is a "god" or higher power?

Lots.  Perhaps most.

Quote with are sience today we are proving god wrong.

I seriously doubt that science can ever "prove god wrong" - I don't think you fully understand the nature of science.

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 9:35pm
R4M-Z3T, you officially fail at life. End yourself.

Don't make a mess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic