Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freedom of Speech, yea right....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bigots & Bibles ROCK MY WORLD!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:22am
I don't know about that ,don't you think they still might be under the control of the old regime? What if they truely believe we are taking over. They are from a totally different culture and mindset that us. Which is why we are'nt seeing alot of the problems ahead of time.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by Barretm82 Barretm82 wrote:

In your personal opinion Clark, do you see these fighters in Iraq as Terrorists or guerilla/resistance fighters? At what point do you draw the line between the two?

They are terrorists - because they aren't on my side.

Quote To answer your question, the difference between the French fighters in WWII and this Iraq terrorist group is that the French had no opportunity to Vote against Hitler.

I don't believe that these insurgents, or the IRA, or the LTTE, or FARC, or ETA, or any of the others, view themselves as having a "vote."  By definition, they believe that they got a raw deal.  In many cases (including Iraq) an objective observer might well agree.

Quote In Iraq there is a choice, yet these fighters "choose" to shoot civilians. That is why I consider these fighters terrorists.

There choice, from their perspective, is to accept American imperialist rule (or a puppet government) or to fight back.  Sounds exactly like the French resistance to me.

As to shooting civilians - killing civilians is a time-honored approach in war.  In Medieval Europe it was standard fare to slaughter the enemy lord's peasants, to cut off his food supply.  In WWII, the US targeted Japanese civilians to destroy enemy morale.  It is only recently that killing civilians has gone out of style.  At worst, these people are behind the times.

And are the insurgents really out to kill civilians?  I'm not so sure.  They are trying to kill people who are supporting the US/puppet government.  From a resistance perspective, that makes them not civilians, but traitors.

Some true civilians may die, but this is "only" collateral damage.  I do not believe that the insurgents are out to kill random Iraqis.

And back to choice for a moment - the US also had a choice:  to invade or not to invade.  We elected to invade, even with 100% certainty that thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians would die.  In that same moral sense, we elected to kill civilians ourselves.

I do not accept a moral distinction between the Iraqi insurgents and the French resistance along these lines. 

smitty's bro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty's bro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Originally posted by smitty's bro smitty's bro wrote:

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

As for the 5 in the Iraqi house, war is tragic, and those 3 american female aid workers and the two missionaries, along with the 12 Iraqis killed by the roadside bomb saturday did not even get a mention in the major media. We make a mistake, the "terrorists" intentionally kill, and we are portrayed as the badguy in our media.......whose side are the media actually on.

God forbid that someone with eyes that see, ears that hear, and a brain in the middle of it all could look at the daily news and surmise from the daily executions of Iraqi security and public officials, that things aren't going well in Iraq. It's just that liberal media blowing things out of proportion again.

you havent seen anything, you havent heard anything... you have seen what they wanted you to see, and you heard what they wanted you to hear, its like what they said about the whole thing with the IRA in Ireland, "If you arent confused, you dont know whats going on" the only people who really have a clue, are our soldiers, not CNN, not NBC, or anything other pretty boy news anchor that thinks hes "a real journalist" because he spent a month in iraq, hes still soft, our boys are over there ground poundin it, they are making history, they are the history, they are helping a revolution take place

Actually, I have heard some things:

Mayor of Baghdad assassinated

Govenor of Baghdad province assassinated

Deputiy director, security svcs assassinated

4:1 Iraqi security to American GIs killed daily

I think that all video news (Fox, CNN, et al) is suspect, therefor I get my info from written news and radio. Fox likes to show stories of a school reopening, but not report on the busload of kids beheaded on their way there. CNN vice-versa.

I think you can read the news and get a pretty good idea that things aren't working out so well:

1. Iraqis are not picking up arms and fighting for themselves, U.S. soldiers have to do it for them. At what point did liberating Iraqis become the work of our soldiers?

2. Every high-level American official to leave post in Iraq has slipped a memo to the press stating that we are never going to win there (CIA bureau chief, U.S. interim governor, etc.)

3. The violence is escalating, the troop commitments are escalating by 15k-20k annually.

Now what don't I know?

Slimz.357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slimz.357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 1:55pm

jeese, you leave a thread for two seconds....

Anyways, the difference between a freedom guerilla and a terrorist is that a guerilla is ussually fighting for freedom, not relegious totalitarianism. Now before you go all "but they are figthing for freedom, america is big oppresive meany" you need to think about two things:

1. The so-called "guerillas" in Iraq have been literally killing civilians by the hundreds for the last 50 years, long before the war in iraq or even Desert Storm.
  2. The war in Iraq is the most civilian safe, "clean" war in American history. Civilian casualties are a part of war, ANY war. To say civialian casualties is an indicator of a poorly run/wrong war is to demonstrate a total ignorance of history. Civialian casualties are avoided as much as is reasonably possible by the HEAD of our military forces, but they cannot prevent war.
    Which means when an American soldier in Iraq looses his cool fires on a civilian, or when an Air strike kills an unacounted-for civilian, that our government doesn't care about civilian casualties. No army is perfect, no war is clean. You can't justify civilian casualties, you can only do what you can to avoid them.

Iraqi terrorists are terrorists, not guerillas because they don't give a #$%! about thier contry, they hide behind the civilians they claim to protect and use the innocent of their own county as a shield. You just can't compare the two.

"If you make it idiot proof, they'll make a better idiot."
REQUIRED READING
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 2:28pm

Don't buy it.

First point - guerilla fighters are fighting for freedom, not religious whatever.

- Both "guerilla" and "terrorism" are nothing but tactics.  The are mere methods of fighting.  Ideology is irrelevant.

- One man's freedom is another man's oppression.  Freedom from religion, freedom from secularity, freedom from communism, freedom from capitalism, freedom from censorship, freedom from offensive/sacriligelous speech, and so forth.  A big part of the Nazi justification was "lebensraum" - "room to live."  They just wanted freedom to live with adequate space.

Numbered points in your post are irrelevant.

Second point - insurgents don't give a hoot about their country.  Patently and obviously false.  Really really obviously false.  They obviously care a lot about Iraq, about the region, about the religion.  You don't become a suicide bomber out of indifference.

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 3:18pm
yeah, you become a suicide bomber because the government give your family money for the amount of money equivilent to 25,000 dollars
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 3:53pm

yeah, you become a suicide bomber because the government give your family money for the amount of money equivilent to 25,000 dollars

In some cases, yes.

But I don't believe that every suicide bomber was bribed/threatened.  Does anybody honestly believe that?

Conviction, and lots of it, is an obvious part of what we are facing.

Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

As for the 5 in the Iraqi house, war is tragic, and those 3 american female aid workers and the two missionaries, along with the 12 Iraqis killed by the roadside bomb saturday did not even get a mention in the major media. We make a mistake, the "terrorists" intentionally kill, and we are portrayed as the badguy in our media.......whose side are the media actually on.

God forbid that someone with eyes that see, ears that hear, and a brain in the middle of it all could look at the daily news and surmise from the daily executions of Iraqi security and public officials, that things aren't going well in Iraq. It's just that liberal media blowing things out of proportion again.

you havent seen anything, you havent heard anything... you have seen what they wanted you to see, and you heard what they wanted you to hear, its like what they said about the whole thing with the IRA in Ireland, "If you arent confused, you dont know whats going on" the only people who really have a clue, are our soldiers, not CNN, not NBC, or anything other pretty boy news anchor that thinks hes "a real journalist" because he spent a month in iraq, hes still soft, our boys are over there ground poundin it, they are making history, they are the history, they are helping a revolution take place

Actually, I have heard some things:

Mayor of Baghdad assassinated

Govenor of Baghdad province assassinated

Deputiy director, security svcs assassinated

4:1 Iraqi security to American GIs killed daily

I think that all video news (Fox, CNN, et al) is suspect, therefor I get my info from written news and radio. Fox likes to show stories of a school reopening, but not report on the busload of kids beheaded on their way there. CNN vice-versa.

I think you can read the news and get a pretty good idea that things aren't working out so well:

1. Iraqis are not picking up arms and fighting for themselves, U.S. soldiers have to do it for them. At what point did liberating Iraqis become the work of our soldiers?

2. Every high-level American official to leave post in Iraq has slipped a memo to the press stating that we are never going to win there (CIA bureau chief, U.S. interim governor, etc.)

3. The violence is escalating, the troop commitments are escalating by 15k-20k annually.

Now what don't I know?

Didn't a memo get leaked recently that there are going to meetings at the Pentagon to discuss why things are going so badly in Iraq?
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 4:17pm
also, you need to put yourself in their situation, if you were a subjuct under saddams power, with his twisted sons running around rapping and killing women, torturing people for fun, then the sons are killed and saddam is captured and a military force is ocupying your home town, who would you trust? no one
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Barretm82 Barretm82 wrote:

In your personal opinion Clark, do you see these fighters in Iraq as Terrorists or guerilla/resistance fighters? At what point do you draw the line between the two?

Quote To answer your question, the difference between the French fighters in WWII and this Iraq terrorist group is that the French had no opportunity to Vote against Hitler.

I don't believe that these insurgents, or the IRA, or the LTTE, or FARC, or ETA, or any of the others, view themselves as having a "vote." By definition, they believe that they got a raw deal. In many cases (including Iraq) an objective observer might well agree.

Quote In Iraq there is a choice, yet these fighters "choose" to shoot civilians. That is why I consider these fighters terrorists.
There choice, from their perspective, is to accept American imperialist rule (or a puppet government) or to fight back. Sounds exactly like the French resistance to me.

Hmmm... In you first line you say these are terrorists simply because they are not on your side.

Quote Clark;

Then in the next paragraphs it seems to me you are making excuses why these might be freedom fighters.

I have to ask, from this point forward on the forum, are you going to refer to these fighters as terrorists? Or freedom fighters?

I can't debate you, if you are trying to be all things to all people.

Edited by Barretm82
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 7:09pm

Not at all.  They are terrorists - because they are not on my side.

My point is that from a truly objective perspective the terms are pretty close to interchangeable or random/meaningless.

If I were on their side, then the second half of the post would describe my views and beliefs, and they would therefore be freedom fighters.

But since they are not on my side, they are evil terrorists.

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 8:08pm

Not at all.  They are terrorists - because they are not on my side.

My point is that from a truly objective perspective the terms are pretty close to interchangeable or random/meaningless.

If I were on their side, then the second half of the post would describe my views and beliefs, and they would therefore be freedom fighters.

But since they are not on my side, they are evil terrorists.

I honestly dislike talking about word semantics, which is why I think I may be off/wrong here. Anyhow, I thought I would toss this out your way.

So here we go;

I'm not so sure about the interchangeability of Guerrilla versa Terrorist.

--Guerrilla tactics, a person who engages in irregular warfare especially as a member of an independent unit carrying out harassment and sabotage.

--Terror Tactics, the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

I'm going to cheat and grasp a quote of yours from a different post.    

Clark - Both "guerilla" and "terrorism" are nothing but tactics. The are mere methods of fighting. Ideology is irrelevant.

I am asking you why there isn't any valid difference in "Ideology" if you will between the too tactics. I know your answer, but I am not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 10:06pm

Tactics are tactics.

Some ideologies attach moral values to certain tactics.  In medieval Europe, slaughtering peasants or poisoning wells was acceptable, but for one knight to take unfair advantage of another was not (or whatever).

For many years guerilla tactics were (in Europe) viewed as immoral - this changed by the mid-19th century, I believe.  Attacking civilians used to be ok, now it is not.

Tactics are tactics, but ideologies change.  Terrorism used to be perfectly acceptable in many contexts (although the word/label was rarely popular); now we (Europe/N.A.) frown upon it.  Others obviously currently attach a different moral value to terrorism than we do.

By point is that there is nothing inherent in what the insurgents/terrorists/freedom fighters are doing that "we" would not deem/have not deemed acceptable in different times and places.  there is nothing they are doing that "we" have not also done at some point.

The terrorists are (a) not us, and (b) employing tactics that we currently find distasteful.  The same sentence can be applied to us from the perspective of the terrorists.  This thing is entirely a matter of perspective and current moral values in the societies involved.

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:24pm

Tactics are tactics.

I understand your points, However I always thought that a key distinction is terrorists’ deliberate targeting of civilians.

Whereas Guerrillas typically focus their unconventional warfare on military or government targets.

Granted, this is a generalization.

Edited by Barretm82
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:27pm

What, then, of Hiroshima/Nagasaki (and countless similar attacks throughout history).

Does not that make the US a terrorist in 1945 (be quiet, people) and evil (I said be quiet)?  We clearly targeted civilians for the express purpose of terrorizing the enemy.

Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:32pm

What, then, of Hiroshima/Nagasaki (and countless similar attacks throughout history).

Does not that make the US a terrorist in 1945 (be quiet, people) and evil (I said be quiet)?  We clearly targeted civilians for the express purpose of terrorizing the enemy.

I think the problem with your train of thought or perhaps the nuance you are overlooking is democracy and the power of the vote to change government without violence.

Your historical references don't take that into account.

There was no way, to democratically change Japan in 1945.
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:33pm
Today, in Iraq there is a non violent alternative, that is the elections.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2005 at 11:57pm

okay, no, when the election comes around all hell is going to break loose, and you know it.  There isnt a real solution to what going on right now, because those terrorists will just keep crawling out of whatever hole they crawl out of.  I think we should pullour now and leave em to deal with themselfs...the only ending to this story is dictatorship...just like last time...Iraq will always have a dictator and all those middle eastern "Gihad Extremest" will never go away, they will always be there to blow eachother up...and i dont see the point in sending our boys out there for the slaughter when it isnt going to fix anything...it just isnt right...

And can we stop comparing Hiroshima to whats going on in Iraq...it isnt even close...seriously...i mean...come on.

"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2005 at 7:12am
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

okay, no, when the election comes around all hell is going to break loose, and you know it.  There isnt a real solution to what going on right now, because those terrorists will just keep crawling out of whatever hole they crawl out of.  I think we should pullour now and leave em to deal with themselfs...the only ending to this story is dictatorship...just like last time...Iraq will always have a dictator and all those middle eastern "Gihad Extremest" will never go away, they will always be there to blow eachother up...and i dont see the point in sending our boys out there for the slaughter when it isnt going to fix anything...it just isnt right...

And can we stop comparing Hiroshima to whats going on in Iraq...it isnt even close...seriously...i mean...come on.

The problem rockerdoode, is that if we leave these places to their own devices. This crap is going to come to our shores. Given enough time, one way or another we are going to have to deal with it.

The whole reason for my little discussion with Clark was really more about Palestine then Iraq. The disscussion is that, "Those who have a non violent alterative (Palestine) and don't explore that route are not Insurgents, those in Palestine who continue the violence are simply serial killers.

As for the middle east area rockerdoode, the same things you have said were also stated about Afghanistan, yet progress has been made.

Edited by Barretm82
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2005 at 7:41am
As for Iraq, we are going to have to see what happens after the elections.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic