Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chainmail: good for armor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garnet_ghst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chainmail: good for armor?
    Posted: 05 March 2005 at 4:24pm
Does any one think that chainmail would be a good type of armor. I does have its shair of cons and only one pro. What do you think?

^My 98 Custom
DrexelSkaPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrexelSkaPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 5:13pm
For paintball? That has to be the oddest thing I've ever heard...
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 6:08pm
it would maybe look cool for scenario but not be of any protection.a paintball and a sword are alot different
garnet_ghst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garnet_ghst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by DrexelSkaPB DrexelSkaPB wrote:

For paintball? That has to be the oddest thing I've ever heard...
thanks for your input

^My 98 Custom
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:29pm

Acually they make good armour for knuckles and fingers. But for anywhere else its just too heavy.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/pomanspntball/enter.html

Edited by Monk
warpfactor5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warpfactor5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:17pm
I's to heavy and paint would brake way to easy.
Let It Rain!!!
98c, Flatline
GTA X-cham.Dead-on Pro Seal&Powertube
Rico AK, Res. trig.
Full Boar Shadow
Pol. Internals

A-5 E
JCS Duel Double Trig
Remote line, Colaps. Stock
Pol. internals
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:38pm

Originally posted by warpfactor5 warpfactor5 wrote:

I's to heavy and paint would brake way to easy.

Not necessarily. If you put cloth over it then the jagged edges would be eliminated.

Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 9:18pm
noisy too
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by Strife_17 Strife_17 wrote:

noisy too

Again put a cloth over it. It is deffinatly a good idea an needed to be posted again. Its cheap and easy to make.

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:13pm
 someone actually asked the same question sometime last year....this thread will get the same results and jus to let you know....it takes a wuss to wear body armor while paintballing, be a real man, jus wear a long sleeve shirt or jersey.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
garnet_ghst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garnet_ghst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:15pm
How heavy do you think it would weigh if you just made a tank-top style chainmail vest? like dont make a neck gaurd(sp?), arms, or the sides. so it would look like a chemlar(sp?) vest with wide shoulders.

would chainmail gloves realy be a good idea? i mean even if you left the fingers off, couldnt it scratch your gun or make moving your hands hard?

^My 98 Custom
jimmy_needles View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Language (E17)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy_needles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:32pm
yeah to heavy breaks balls expensive...and have fun making or finding it
"a marine will give up his rations but will never give up his corpsman"
Ariakon_Eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariakon_Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 11:06pm
I could see people where chainmail gloves because they look cool...but I find no other use for them in paintball.
You call the Eagle, Eagle does the rest.
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 12:19am
what would you need chainmail for? i mean unless you start getting yourself lit up at 10 feet is it really nesecary?
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 1:11am
Why would you want armor. I have worn a vest like chainmail suit thing, and it was heavy. I don't use armor because it is fun to show others that don't play paintball the wilts you can get.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 2:00am

Actually, there's already a company marketing this; at least they make neck and groin protection from chain (actually ring) mail.  The link is below.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/softgoods/maille/

E-98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Originally posted by Strife_17 Strife_17 wrote:

noisy too

Again put a cloth over it. It is deffinatly a good idea an needed to be posted again. Its cheap and easy to make.

Put a bunch of quarters in a bag then shake em around--Doesn't make it any quieter.  The chain mail would still clink together under the shirt.

And the idea of it breaking the balls more easily is based on the fact that this armour would be made of metal.  Metal is hard, which means more breaks--It having jagged edges was not the main point.

--Jeff

Mad Psience View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Psience Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 7:55am

allow me to answer. if you're afraid of a sting you're in the wrong sport.

chain mail is more something you should use in a swordfight.

jacob_100 View Drop Down
I misbehaved too many times

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacob_100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 12:39pm
its would kinda look cool as gloves but if u want to use it for a chest protecter,u shouldnt be playin p-ball,cause it just shows how afraid u are to get shot
Alot of people these days play speed-ball and have superspeed gun.If you are one of the few pump players left,put this as ur sig.

-Phantom
45* grip
t-stock
20 round center feed
12 gram changer
Slasher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 7:12pm
I've made chainmaille for awhile, I can tell you it would offer no bounce or give to a paintball that hits it.
Your typical indoor body armor is a neoprene type of garment meant to absorb much of the shock and take out the sting of getting hit.

I don't recommend you try to use this type of accoutrement for paintball. It can be very expensive to make (unless you are making the links yourself ) out of some mild steel. But if you would like to try your hand at making chainmaille I buy my stainless steel links from below. I prefer the number 6's. Again its very expensive to make any type of garment as you will use hundreds if not thousands of links depending on what you are making. My suggestion is to learn how to make maille and then first make your own links. There are alot of informative sites online about this.

links

Slasher

Edited by Slasher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic