Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steel vs. fiberglass tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steel vs. fiberglass tank
    Posted: 20 March 2005 at 2:28am

i was thinking of finally making the upgrade from co2 to hpa.  because of money, i was going to get the least expensive tank i could find, one of those metal ones that are about $75 or so.  but a friend of mine said someone told him they don't have too long of a lifespan and to get a fiberglass one.  is this true?  i would have figured it wouldn't really matter.

also, got kind of a wierd question.  i have been wanting to play in the cold but my co2 tank won't last too long.  i was wondering if it were possible to take one of those hand warmer pads that heat up and duct tape it to the tank to keep it from freezing?  now, i have never used one of those things and i don't know exactly how hot they get, so i thought i'd ask here on the board.  thanks guys! (and ladies, too!)

98 custom
flatline barrel
14" 32 degrees whisper barrel
expansion chamber
polished internals
jt nvader goggles
jt universal sportscomm system
jt vortex fan

Marine City, MI
Watari View Drop Down
Mmmm... Shiny Star... Mmmm....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:13am
I thought it was vice-versa, steel lasted longer than the carbon fiber ones

And about the other question.. should work fine, don't think those things get to warm.

BLand View Drop Down
Guested - Complete idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 7:16am
I'm pretty sure they both last the same amount of time, but I heard steel tanks are extremely heavy. I would just save up a little more and get a good fiber wrapped tank, I hear crossfire is a good brand for everybody, and then get a cover.

The co2 hand warmer thing, I say forget it. Just use this to keep it warm. Unless you do get nitro.
PB_freak-04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PB_freak-04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:00am
carbon fiber tanks are much lighter than the steel tanks, they dont really last as long as a steel tank (condition wise) unless you have a tank cover on it, because the tend to chip.

Edited by PB_freak-04
Capt.EAST COAST CREW**

www.autocockerhelp.tk
skene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:49am
When it comes down the steel vs carbon fiber.

Steel Pros:
sturdier
dents will not affect hydro testing

Steel Cons:
heavier
3 yr hydro

Carbon Fiber Pros:
lighter
some tanks have a 5 yr hydro test date
can get larger than a 3000psi tank

Carbon Fiber Cons:
can damage tank more easily  (chips, flaking)
needs tank cover
if it has indents you have to get a new tank.  When its being tested if there are any indentations in the carbon fiber they will destroy it.

Tippmann 98c
RTˇGTA Double Triggerˇ
J&J CeramicˇEmpire Reloader IIˇ
BT Stockˇ
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 10:33am
^^^-so what do you suggest?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 10:56am
i suggest fiber wrapped w/ a cover
Sarge14 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 12:13pm
FiberWrapped is soo much lighter, it does however need to be rehydroed every 3 yrs instead of 5 like the stell tanks, i like my fiber wrapped, its nice.
Nothing is Stronger than the Heart of a Volunteer

Proud to be a Soldier in the United States Army!
Commo Leads the Way!!
MagnumForce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagnumForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 1:22pm
The kid that told you that the fiberglass ones have a longer life span is wrong. its the other way around. Most steel tanks have a hydro date of 5 years the carbon fiber wrapped tanks are 3 years. instead of doing the hand warmers idea just get a HPA tank. i have a 68/3000 steel tank and i love it. not as heavy as everyone says it is.
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 1:23pm

You guys have some of your facts wrong on tank life.

Steel- Under 2in diameter never has to be retested, but hard to find a tank that small. Most steel tanks are 5 year hydro and unlimited life as long as testing is passed. But steel tanks with "3HT" stamped (PMI tanks and others) have a 3 year test date, and life of 15 years. A 68/3000 steel is no heavier than a full 20oz. If you cant take the weight, you must be a baby.

Carbon fiber wrapped- 3 year hydro, 15 year life.  Lighter, more expensive, more sizes, less durable, ect.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic