Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 e-grip HELP!! + LPK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosfed360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 e-grip HELP!! + LPK
    Posted: 21 March 2005 at 11:19pm
I have an a-5 with an e-grip that was having issues with the pin, sear, and bolt about a year ago. Tippmann said they had a fix and sent me a new bolt, sear, and pin. well....i stopped playing shortly after that, until about a month ago. Last weekend my gun started acting like the bolt and/or sear is shot again (uncontrollable full auto when pulling the trigger, double firing.......etc.) Well, I decided to go ahead and get the LPK for the gun since I heard it comes with a new hardened bolt and I wanted the other benefits of the kit. Well, I ordered everything and then read on here people are still having problems with the LPK + e-grip.....and more specifically with the e-grip period. Is their any new info on this? Is tippmann aware of this problem? They won't send out a bolt for the LPK since it is a kit, which means I'd have to send my gun to tippmann every 3000 rounds or so. There has got to be some info on a fix for this? On a related subject, I bought the LPK + lapco universal adapter + Palmer stabilizer + spoon 8 inch drop forward. Has anyone tried this setup, and did you have to modify some lines to get these parts to fit together? Also, am I correct in understanding that with the palmer, I can still use c02 with the LPK without damaging anything?
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 12:33am
Originally posted by nosfed360 nosfed360 wrote:

Is their any new info on this? we wouldn't know if there was, Tippmann neglects their site.
 Is tippmann aware of this problem? same as above
 There has got to be some info on a fix for this? Someone created an aftermarket bolt that just has a replacable lip where the sear catches.
Has anyone tried this setup, and did you have to modify some lines to get these parts to fit together? The stock gasline on the A-5 will only work with that ASA. You need a new hose.
Also, am I correct in understanding that with the palmer, I can still use c02 with the LPK without damaging anything?Yes, the Palmer can handle liquid CO2. Any reg can handle gaseous CO2, just not the liquid.
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 5:28pm
NO, your board received oil drainage from the rear bolt. Thats what needs to be replaced- the e-grip board is a bit exposed, and you should either store it lying flat on the side without the cyclone, or dry it out of oil. What happens is in between use, you're sitting it (or moving it around) in a position where the oil in the rear bolt will slowly drip down onto the board. I use a gun case and keep it flat when I'm storing it. If I have to stand it up, I store the gun upside down.
A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
nosfed360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosfed360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by LordJovian LordJovian wrote:

NO, your board received oil drainage from the rear bolt. Thats what needs to be replaced- the e-grip board is a bit exposed, and you should either store it lying flat on the side without the cyclone, or dry it out of oil. What happens is in between use, you're sitting it (or moving it around) in a position where the oil in the rear bolt will slowly drip down onto the board. I use a gun case and keep it flat when I'm storing it. If I have to stand it up, I store the gun upside down.

Okay....I see what your saying.....but why would this cause sear and bolt problems? I tried playing with the trigger without the gun aired up to see if the e-grip sounded like it was double-firing or acting up, but it sounds and acts perfectly normal, it is definately mechanical. I found a post by someone who said they have the LPK and they are wearing out bolts and sears like every 4000 rounds and tippmann basically said "well..send the gun in every 4000 rounds to have it fixed because we can't ship out a bolt for the LPK since it is part of a kit". This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Why in the world can't they fix a known problem with an e-grip and they kits. I mean, 4000 freakin rounds......i could make something out of spare parts in my garage that would last longer than that. Issue a recall and fix this dang problem so people like me can go play paintball more than 1 time without having a f&*$ing gun break every other time.
ac600ccer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac600ccer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 12:31am
how bout a new drive spring? give that a try
my A-5 setup,sp freak kit,pro-seal powertube,E-grip,cp 45* drop,polished internals,GTA lpk,palmers fatty stab.crossfire 45/4500 ,dye rhino cover,jcs duel trigger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 8:27am
Mine works fine. Can you see the actual damage done to the bolt and sear? I don't see how a drive spring will stop wear on it- mayhaps you should look into the sear spring- this may be warped or damaged and causing the sear not to catch fast enough and wear abnormally on the bolt and sear. Try ordering a new long trigger spring and see how that does you.
A-5
E-grip
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
nosfed360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosfed360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 2:21pm

Mine works fine. Can you see the actual damage done to the bolt and sear? I don't see how a drive spring will stop wear on it- mayhaps you should look into the sear spring- this may be warped or damaged and causing the sear not to catch fast enough and wear abnormally on the bolt and sear. Try ordering a new long trigger spring and see how that does you.

Yeah....at least I think. The lip on the bolt is kind of rounded, I'm assuming it's supposed to be more edgy. I called Tippmann and they are sending me a new sear since the LPK doesn't come with one. I guess I'll just have to put everything together and since if this happens yet again. Is it possible to over-oil a gun and make the bolt and sear too slippery? While I'm at it, does anyone know if you can run c02 on the a-5 with a low pressure kit installed. My kit is on the way, but I haven't decided which tank to get yet, so I'd like to play with the gun on c02 for a while.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 3:40pm

Yes, you can. The only problem is that you'll need a Palmer Stabilizer instead of a normal regulator to drop the pressure input into the gun. CO2 will rust the springs of a normal reg and screw it up. Plus you'll have to order the low pressure kit (spring) for the stabilizer. Or use an old crappy reg for temporary use.

Over-oiling the rear bolt shouldn't cause this, it should prevent it. However, the bolt will still wear with oil and the oil will pick up small metal shavings (dust) and if the oil isn't cleaned out and replaced, this can cause abnormal wear.

You may also want to polish the internals, as this causes less foreign particles (paint overspray) to pollute the oil, and will smooth operation and allow you to drop the pressure a bit more. Don't over do the polishing, just get the overspray off (it doesn't need to look like a mirror).

A-5
E-grip
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
nosfed360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosfed360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 6:35pm

Yes, you can. The only problem is that you'll need a Palmer Stabilizer instead of a normal regulator to drop the pressure input into the gun. CO2 will rust the springs of a normal reg and screw it up. Plus you'll have to order the low pressure kit (spring) for the stabilizer. Or use an old crappy reg for temporary use.

Over-oiling the rear bolt shouldn't cause this, it should prevent it. However, the bolt will still wear with oil and the oil will pick up small metal shavings (dust) and if the oil isn't cleaned out and replaced, this can cause abnormal wear.

You may also want to polish the internals, as this causes less foreign particles (paint overspray) to pollute the oil, and will smooth operation and allow you to drop the pressure a bit more. Don't over do the polishing, just get the overspray off (it doesn't need to look like a mirror).

Okay.....I ordered a male plamer reg for use with my LPK. I don't see anything about a new low pressure spring for the palmer though......can you point me in the right direction. And thanks for the tips, i'm gonna read up on polishing the internals.
ac600ccer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac600ccer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 10:00pm
get a plamers fatty reg, good choice for low psi.
my A-5 setup,sp freak kit,pro-seal powertube,E-grip,cp 45* drop,polished internals,GTA lpk,palmers fatty stab.crossfire 45/4500 ,dye rhino cover,jcs duel trigger
nosfed360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosfed360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by ac600ccer ac600ccer wrote:

get a plamers fatty reg, good choice for low psi.

I read that.....unfortunately I allready ordered the regular one. It's from countypaintball.com so I'm gonna see if I can send it back and get the other one. If not, this one will still work for what I need, right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2005 at 8:19am

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/online-catalog/stabilizer-male .htm

After looking at it, the low pressure spring is for markers that operate at or below 225 psi. I thought it was higher than that, so you actually won't need it. The Tippmann LPK operates at around 325 psi. So yes, the one you ordered will work.

A-5
E-grip
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg