Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline Barrel Breaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loren1711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatline Barrel Breaks
    Posted: 12 April 2005 at 3:23pm

Alright I have posted this on pbreview, but thought I would get some second opinions.

Recently I have purchased a Flatline Barrel for my 98 Custom. Soon after purchasing the barrel I noticed how many balls it was breaking. Don't start flaming yet let me explain the problem.

From my understanding RPS Premium paint was supposed to do well in the Flatline barrel. Since I thought this I have used RPS Premium paint as my main paint.

Here is an example of the breaking problem:

Today me and some friends went down to the greenbelt to have a little 3v3. On the way down I had a plug in the barrel so there is no possible way dirt could get into the barrel. Once we arrived I thouroughly cleaned the barrel, and then loaded up. The first game I shot roughly 70 shots. Out of these 70 shots I had 3 breaks. When these breaks happened I did not do a detailed cleaning of the barrel, only cleaned out the tip of the barrel with my finger. In between rounds I again thouroughly cleaned my barrel. The second round again I shot about 70 shots and had about 5 breaks, but this time I cleaned my barrel in between each break, because I had some decent cover and places to get down. I continued to clean my gun between rounds, and after the first 2 games condititions only got worse. I will not get into these.

On my gun I have no Response Trigger, or anything like that to increase firepower. I only use this gun for woodsball, and RARELY shoot more than 3 consecutive shots. Whenever I do 3 consecutive shots the third or fourth ball is a guarenteed break, almost every time. I have had once when this hasnt happened. Other than that there seems to be no pattern to the breaks, or any other noticable causes.

Because of the fact most people say ball breaks occur because of the bolt, I began shooting until I had a break. Once I had a break I took the flatline off and inspected where the paint was. The only broken paint was in the flatline barrel itself, and nothing was past the flatline barrel adapter. This was the case 10 out of 10 times. I am asuming that this shows that the paint is breaking in the barrel not the bolt.

I know the barrel is installed correctly because I have taken it to my local proshop, they have verified that I have installed the barrel correctly, and they have even taken it off and re-installed it and had similar results to the paint breaking.

At my local field I have chronoed this gun at about 265.

Now I did some tests with different kinds of paint.

I shot 1/2 hopper full of the RPS Premium with the same results I had earlier. I broke 7 shots, and cleaned the barrel with a squeegie in between each break.

I also shot 1/2 hopper full of the Big Ball paintballs, and broke 6 shots. I cleaned the barrel in between each break.

Then a couple days ago I went to my local field. Their field paint is Zap Tork. This is what finaly send me over the edge. Out of 1/2 a case I broke atleast proably well over 100 shots.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it but when I take my barrel off and look down it I notice there are numerous scratches on the top of my barrel.

If anyone can help me with this problem I would be extremely greatful. Im sick of the barrel breaking but when it does work it is awesome, so I dont want to buy a new barrel.

If anyone has suggestions or any more questions to my problem please help. I am out of ideas.

Change in paint?
Gun upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 3:26pm
What was the temperature like outside?
loren1711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loren1711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 3:36pm

I have shot it on a variety of different occasions.

Last weekend when I was at the field shooting Tork, in the morning it was a mild 60 degrees F, and by the mid afternoon it was about 70 degrees F, and by the end of the day it was back down to about 60 degrees F.

Inbetween every game the refs had us re-chrono, and every time I adjusted it to 265 fps. I dont know if this has any realviancy but each game is about 20-25 mins long.

triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 3:53pm

Iv never heard of this problem before with all the variables set at what yours are. The only thing I can think of is improper installation, which you mentioned was checked. Well make sure the barrel is completly in the adapter, and tightened enough. Also, clean your barrel out with hot water. And also try other, better kinds of paint. I have heard that Big Ball and Tork are good, but not the best. Perhaps the paint has been sitting around in the warehouse a while. Try marbalizers if you can.

And to add to that, you can make your paint old or new stronger and like new again here- http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/04_paint_test ing.shtml

Edited by triggerhappy1
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 4:03pm
Zap paint is probly the culprit, I'm not reading that whole thing.
loren1711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loren1711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 4:08pm

Yeah someone on pbreview had told me to do that. All of the paint I have put through this gun is in the 4-6 range. Mabye I'll try some Nelsons as the author of that said. They sell them on anythingxtreme.com.

I dont mean to insult Tippmann in anyway but is it possible there was some sort of factory defect? Mabye in the sandblasting, where there is a knick or some sort of bump?

amazin asian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazin asian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 6:42pm

Same thing happended to my freind, turns out there was a big piece of sand or whatever that grip is and we assume that the sand gathered and created such a big but not noticable bumb that he just sent it in or redid the job himself. So try sending it in tippmann support is awesome

HAHAHA, i wipe
loren1711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loren1711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 6:56pm

Alright I talked to Tippmann on the phone earlier on the phone today. The phone tech said he has heard of this problem once before, and as far as he knew re-sandblasting it would solve the problem.

I mailed it out this evening to get it re-sandblasted. Does anyone know how long this usually takes to get the barrel back?

ccrraaiigg007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccrraaiigg007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 6:59am
2-4 months
ccrraaiigg007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccrraaiigg007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 7:00am
probabily a whole lot shorter but it took that long with me
loren1711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loren1711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 5:30pm

Well if it takes that long I might as well just forget this stuff. Has anyone had a more reasonable response on their barrels?

parlayns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parlayns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 10:00am
Loren... i feel you on your pain about flatline barrel breaks..I was reading your intial post and it sounded exactly like my problem.. i mean every single sentence you wrote i have had the same experience!!! I got a a-5 w/ flatline and expansion chamber and I 've been experiencing the exact same thing as you have... I clean my gun to perfection using hoppes 9 oil afterwards... installed the flatline on correctly... used like 7 different types of paint ( marbles, pmi premium, big balls, all stars, dusks, etc) and i manage to break balls every single time (usually 1-2 out of 50). Its quite sickening and frustrating after every single game to clean out your barrel. I sent it in to tippmann, the service guy said they look at it in a 24 hour time frame and ship a few days later back to you, so i dont exactly know how someone on this post can say 2-4 months! Keep me updated if your problem gets resolved or if you hear back from tippmann..
browndude3649 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browndude3649 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 10:29pm
I just bought my flatty for my A5 and the manual says-don't use a barrelPLUG with the flatty-Use the bigger barrel condom instead. Just my 2cents
chargethemiddle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargethemiddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 1:47am

I sent my A-5 in for warranty repair once and they got it back 4 days later.  I've shot thousands of rounds through my Flatline(I installed it the day I got the gun) over the past year and a half with not one break.  I've used every type of paint available with no mishaps.  Although, medium grade paint seems to push the Flatline effect to the max(thicker shell better spin I think).  I was shooting Bonus Balls yesterday to some amazing effects!  They shot just as well as, if not better than, Marbles whilst being $14 bucks cheaper!

I'm running straight at you with terror and chaos blazing forth from my Flatline.
"Here comes the pain!" --Carlito from Carlito's Way
Ihaveanitch View Drop Down
Guested, language. 5/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihaveanitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 12:26pm
i laughed when i first saw that title, was thinkin how the F could a flatline barrel break lol.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:10am

Originally posted by loren1711 loren1711 wrote:

I mailed it out this evening to get it re-sandblasted. Does anyone know how long this usually takes to get the barrel back?

Turn around time on mine was less than two weeks from the time I put it in the postman's hand until he put it back in mine.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank
Millslane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millslane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 9:58pm
tippmanns in Fort wayne Indianda (northeast  sector if you didn't know) to figure how long from there
www.pbteamwow.com
parlayns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parlayns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 11:39am

Just to followup on my previous post...I sent my a-5 and flatline to tippmann for inspection.. they re-sanded my flatline as well as replaced old worn out o-rings on the bolt. They tested it and said it was fine. Turn-around time for me was one week. The technician also said to only use hoppes 9 oil. Great service from the techies at tippmann!

Proven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 4:22pm

I think that this is a rare case, unfortunate for you.  The volumes of customers using vs. the volume of customers complaining is probably very low.  I hope they take care of your issue since I have used the flatline for some time and never had a ball break yet *Pounds on wood* in all the games I played.  I have accidentally discharged a round into my condom...that made for some lude conversation.

Let us know how it turns out. I for one use Marbalizers only, but I don't think that makes that much of a difference. (hard for me to say since I have only used one type of paint...and I only use it because I love the way it looks. lol)

I for one love the flatline barrel and think it helps my game.  I use an E-Trigger and "Auto Response" setting...this is nearly full auto when I get to dancing my finger on the trigger.

Proven
Evolving A-5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic