Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun control
    Posted: 17 April 2005 at 2:22am
I read a great book called Private Guns, Public Health, that just about debunks every major NRA argument. For those of us who believe in gun control, it is a great read.

-Tink
Chicago PD, Division of Homicide, our day starts, when your day ends.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 2:57am
...here we go...
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Tinkertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 3:09am
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

...here we go...

Lol, what do you think I was trying to do?

-Tink
Chicago PD, Division of Homicide, our day starts, when your day ends.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Tinkertoys Tinkertoys wrote:

Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

...here we go...

Lol, what do you think I was trying to do?

-Tink

you know what you are trying to do, and even if you don't we have another guncontrol debate on the horizon
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:50am
I believe in the right to bear arms.  I believe in to conceal carry.  I think the laws we have now are sufficient.  Some left wing people want to have every gun identified by its rifling (like a fingerprint) so its easier to match a bullet to a gun to a person.  But rifling changes over time, so this won't work.  But they have to be gun control freaks and make it harder to get guns.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:59am

Title noted, I will check it out.

I despise the NRA. Anybody who really respects firearms will have nothing to do with them.

Liquid3 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bigots & Bibles ROCK MY WORLD!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:17am

There are also many other books out that totally debunk all the pro gun control arguments. Which leads us right back to where we started and what everyones personal belief is.  I think we need to enforce the laws we have and watch the criminals more than the guns.  Look what happens in Brittan.

Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:17am
how does control help? just because thier illegal doesn't mean those who are willing to use them in a malignant way won't. Drug are illegal and we all know that that doesnt stop anyone from using em.
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Strife_17 Strife_17 wrote:

Drug are illegal and we all know that that doesnt stop anyone from using em.

Thousands of people get stopped from using drugs each year, if it wasnt illegal millions more people would be doing them.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:43am
Why have guns?  To rise up when your gubment takes away rights?  Oh wait, we already have the Patriot Act, mandatory random drug testing in the workplace and are holding "terrorists" without any legal representation.  At least clay pigeons are being kept in check.
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

Why have guns?  To rise up when your gubment takes away rights?  Oh wait, we already have the Patriot Act, mandatory random drug testing in the workplace and are holding "terrorists" without any legal representation.  At least clay pigeons are being kept in check.

Well, guns are fun to shoot.  I don't really know what you were implying there if anything, but I don't hunt, I just find joy in going to the shooting range and shooting targets.  Its just fun.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:23am

Originally posted by WGP guy WGP guy wrote:

Well, guns are fun to shoot.  I don't really know what you were implying there if anything, but I don't hunt, I just find joy in going to the shooting range and shooting targets.  Its just fun.

Ok. Crack is fun to smoke. Why isnt it ok?

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Because...its bad for you?  I don't know.  Most people that have guns don't use them in ways that harm others.  Crack harms you.  So you can't really compare that.  Crack is always going to harm you, guns used in the right way won't hurt anyone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:31am

Because...its bad for you?  I don't know.  Most people that have guns don't use them in ways that harm others.  Crack harms you.  So you can't really compare that.  Crack is always going to harm you, guns used in the right way won't hurt anyone.

They both have the potential to kill you. Even if it isnt on purpose, a bullet in the head is bad for your health.

What about pot? Pot dosent always harm people, should we make that OK?

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:34am
We don't have enough gun control in this country.
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:41am

They both have the potential to kill you. Even if it isnt on purpose, a bullet in the head is bad for your health.

What about pot? Pot dosent always harm people, should we make that OK?

But you can't control crack's ability to kill you (mostly).  Using guns in the RIGHT WAY BY LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WILL NOT HARM ANYONE.  I am not talking about criminals getting guns.  I AM TALKING ABOUT LAWFUL CITIZENS, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.  If we put more control on guns, we are just taking away the defense of LAWFUL CITIZENS, and making it easier for criminals to commit crimes.  Basically criminals have guns, good people don't.  So you're helping criminals and hurting lawful citizens.

Baseball bats can kill.  Should we ban them or put controls on them?  Cars can kill, should be ban them?  Knifes can kill, should we ban them?  Drills, saws, hammers  can kill, but we don't ban them.  If we ban guns them we might as well ban bats, cars, knifes, saws, hammers, and drills.  They all have the ability to kill. 

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Guns can't fire themselves (for the most part).

Edited by WGP guy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:45am
So the logic is becuase the criminals are going to do it, we should be allowed to?

5ptcontingency View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5ptcontingency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:48am
The term "gun control" is too broad. As a responsible owner of several rifles, shotguns, and handguns, I am completely against restrictions on the types of weapons we can have. Especially restrictions on cosmetic features. As long as they are semi-automatic or less, I think the type of weapon we own is our own business.

However, I am all for the regulation of weapons. I will gladly pay a small fee every year to satisfy anti-gun lobbyists. I think every weapon should have a waiting period of several days before you can purchase it and take it home, not just handguns.I also think every gun owner, and anyone in that gun owners household (except kids, for obvious reasons) should have to be trained on the operation of their weapon to help insure that they use it correctly.

Edited by 5ptcontingency
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:58am
I just don't see reasons as to why own so many guns unless your profession requires it. Hunting, of course, but there has to be a limit on something. There is no need for AK-47's to be on the street, even if they are fun to shoot. There is no possible way to ensure that only responsible people own guns, so talking in that manner is only a pipe dream.
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:59am
No, the logic is criminals have them, we need to be able to counter it.  And we don't have bans on many deadly things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic