Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Upcoming Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OKLAHOMA D-DAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigballer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OKLAHOMA D-DAY
    Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:53pm

hey ppls sup?

ME and acouple guys are from iowa and going down to d day and we were wondering wut its like can aneyone tells us wut were are getting our selves into? were takeing the beach if that matters any this is our 1 year so tells us some stuff plz thanks

TINy

TINY
iceman1186 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceman1186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2005 at 8:04pm
it'll also be my first year
Desert Fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:12pm
Hmm, where in iowa are you from?
Glurk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by bigballer89 bigballer89 wrote:

were takeing the beach if that matters any this is our 1 year so tells us some stuff plz thanks

it was fun shutin at you

i was atlantic wall

Edited by Glurk
glurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurkglurk
Thompsonshooter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I build it... you will drool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thompsonshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 11:10am
From my week at Oklahoma D-Day.

I went as a sergeant to lead 40 men into a paintball battle. Ended up a Col. And XO of the 101st Airborne with 250 men in my command.

We were dropped off by bus and 6x6 at 9am. By 10:30 bw had taken our objective of firebase Charlie. Held it until 12:00 to get the allotted points and moved on to help the other commands take their objectives.

We helped take every other objective on the field except one that fell to the Germans because of a last second sniper kill of the General in command of the 1st Division.

We beat the Germans 1425 to 200 on Saturday.

The Germans did not have a good command structure, had not motivated their men to work as teams and did not even meet their companies until the night before the game.

Our officers were training from Wednesday on in the leadership courses lead by the Allied General and other officers (myself included).

We just out classed and out performed them at every turn.

It was a good week.

Eric Engler
President
www.englerpaintballguns.com
Glurk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 3:31pm
hey i was a german and we got Saint Lo because you guys left it undefended, the only prodlem with are comand structure was that they got shot to much. Oh yeah most of the germans left when it started to rain
ekim98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekim98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 5:12pm
i was there and in my opinion, after 8 years of putting on this game it was one of the most unorganized games i've ever been to!!! i realize that with 3000 plus players there going to be some confusion, but with all the rules and  people running around there wasn't much playing by time it finally got started. if you want to just play speedball they bent over backwards to help you, "but speed ballers buy more paint". between 5 of us that went there we bought 5 cases of paint and brought home almost 3 full cases home. at least the potapotty's were keep clean. but they did little for the players for d-day to make it more fun. grant it the german's were outnumber badly, there were 3 times where i personal wittnessed refs breaks/changing rules to help
the germans at the cost of other allied players being shot out/ told to leave the field/ or germans not having to go to the dead zone, but just start playing again. one ref even called allied player over to him out in the open to talk to him, and when the germans shot them the ref said the allied players were out. i won't go back 
Elliotttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliotttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 5:22pm

The reason the germans lost was because we are out numbered hardcore year after year...being an allie is cheap....i think it is cooler to hold a base with 7 guys then to take a base with 300...if you can defend with a couple...thats impressive...i did rekon work with the germans...it was cool..

Elliott(tt)

whitney1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 10:27pm

I was in the 82nd and we ran orientation. i can tell you that the sides were even this year. I have seen the numbers myself.

the germans were routed in every objective, i watched it happen. St. Lo was given to the germans not because we abandoned it, but because of a sneaky move by 1 german sniper who took out Gen. Psycho just as he was hitting the pyro. (on a side note: St. Lo was taken by the 82nd Airborne in less than 18 minutes because the Germans left it to go to the wall, I saw them leave.)

The number one reason why the germans lost this year and last year was organization. The Allies spent all week running through meetings to go over battle plans and effectively communicated the plans to their lower ranked officers, Lt., Sergeants, ect. We knew how to work in groups and maintain communications with our Generals in the field.

The bunker staff did everything they could to make the game run smoothly, there was some confusions with rules and such, but it was all individual refs who caused the problems. (Such as letting the Germans reinsert 10 minutes before the Allies outside St. Lo)

I had a good time, and will most definately go back again. (And it was one of the best night games i've been in.)

slasherdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slasherdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 11:33pm

Hey guys!!!

I was on the wall shooting at most of you..

I tried to keep the over shooting in our general area to a minimum because we wanted to conserve air and paint. But yeah the shooting on the left and right of us was rather intense.

We definately had more guys on the wall this year. Last year we had maybe half the number there.

Cheating by some german's on the wall??? I'm not going to argue that.. I'm sure there were some german's that didn't like the idea of being out numbered from the get go. I think there were about 400 germans on the wall against the 1000 in the 1st Infantry. And I think my numbers for both sides are a little high.

Cheating by allies on the wall??? Yeah I did see that... There were a lot of shooting by allies when a barrel tag would have been enough. I still can't believe it when I got a 1st inthe trench from about 15 feet away and he *****ed a ref out to yank me for being so "close" .... I pointed out to him that I pulled the trigger on him because I already had him covered and was about to tell him to surrender when he decided to try to draw a bead on me. Looked like he was going to try to shoot me as well.

And then I saw allies leaving boat 4 and going all the way around our right flank so they could get behind us when they were supposed to go over the fence .... Looks like someone forgot the rules ...

Honestly I really don't care.  We lost, big deal ... I think we're supposed to loose anyway.  All that matters is that I had fun.  It's a shame that there had to be cheating on both sides.  But I'm just not a sore loser.  Our team is going to be in an APG article, as well as the German issue of Playboy.... 

The report said that he thought it was funny that American's would be playing German's.  Our reply was that someone had to do it. 

But yeah at the beginning when we saw you guy running right from boat one to boat two, our team knew right off the bat what you were trying to do. Get all the boats filled and unloading at the same time to give us to many targets to shoot ...... It was at that point we decided to shot in an attempt to intimidate you guys. I guess I am guilty of shooting people that were already shot by others because there were always 5 to 10 people shooting at the same person. But I wasn't lighting people up .... I was shooting a Phantom ....

After it stopped raining I went in to base to dry out and change cloths and socks ... went back out with my A-5 .... We worked Alpha Base and at the end made a pointless attack on the wall just to have some fun.

The german's lack command?? The guy that threw his sword was just as responsible as all the other CO's for not getting the German's organized. The German's also lacked the experienced scenario players. All the experienced players like to be on the american's side ... nothing wrong with that ... just means that the German's are made up of the few experienced players that love being the underdog (like me), or the later registrators that can't get on the American side because your ranks are filled, or the people that register the week of the event.

The time spent organizing anything on the German side just did not exist. I think they had one meeting and that was the night before at like 11:30pm.

My hats off to the allies. I hope that we in the bunker at least gave you a harder fight than you expected. I thought it was funny after the game was over we were looking at our bunker and this kid walked by and said it was stupid and how they took it in 15 minutes.

Funny ..... At 11:15 we still had guys in it shooting people that tried to storm in ..... At 11:00 I was in the trench outside it with 5 other guys taking out a few pushes by the allies to take it and give the three remaining guys inside a chance to take a breather ...

15 minutes I guess really depends on your point of veiw. The bunker forced your CO to change his tactics day of the event ... words right from his mouth when he visited our campsite that night.

Dwayne has already given us permission to build two more ...... We might be able to hold you to 1PM after that.

Now all we have to do is get the Germans organized .... Looks like my hobby for the next year is set in stone.

Hauptmann Kurt "SlasherDan" Benson
6th Fallschirmjager-Regiment, Pionere.Kompanie.1
iceman1186 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceman1186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:13am
I was there and had a GREAT TIME. I was in the 82nd Airborne, Dog Company, 2nd Platoon. In St. Lo there was no German resistance, none at all. Our CO put a smoke grenade in the tower and smoke out all the Germans(they left all there gear in the tower ). Then we finished off the little resistance left. My squad was in the outpost bunker when the German Kommandos(OPS Gear) counter-attacked. Two other people and me took out at least 10 of them before they got to St. Lo. I wasn't impressed with those guys at all(they were supposed to be there to slauter the 82nd). We had St. Lo when the timer run out but a kid with his hat over his hopper cover barrel tagged Psyco as he blew the pyro's. After St. Lo we double timed down to Firebase Alpha and helped take it. From then on we went on to the Air Field and again beat back the Germans. The Game ended as our squad was helping the 101st hold Grey Bridge.

This year was great except for a couple things. The rain on Saturday morning was nice and refreshing, but afterwards it was really HOTT. I saw alot of Germans wipping at Firebase Alpha, not saying that the Allies didn't wipe, but alot of Germans were. Beside that, and the event that happend at St. Lo (82nd general being barrel tagged) and a glitch in the commo between refs and event promoters(Germans being allowed to reinsert 10 mins before the Allies). The concert that SpecOps put on with Double Wide was excellent(plus the gave away free stuff, and I got a gun case). It was a great week/weekend. I will def. be back next year.

If you want to join a great unit that is all around the field kicking rear-end and getting kills then join the 82nd. We had/have the best in Generals, Company commanders, and squad leaders. They know what they are doing and are great people.

I'll post so pics when I get some free time.

P.S.- "Wiggle Worm!"(Anyone in the 82nd will understand, if you weren't in the 82nd and heard us yelling it all weekend, and want to hear the story, PM me). I got to meet ThompsonShooter, and his guns are better when you get to hold them . Also, I got an Ion, Empire reloader, and 68ci pre-set nitro tank for $350!!

Edited by iceman1186
Glurk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:07pm
I was on the right side of the atlantic wall and at the deginning there was 20 people in the same trench as me but after the rain started there was only 5 and then the rangers came and we got are buts kicked.

Altough we did hold them a while

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slasherdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:21pm

Yeah the Ref's were telling the three of us as we walked off the field that saw truck loads of German's coming off the field just before the rain stopped and made no attempt to get back out there.

After we got shot out after the rain we went to our camp site, changed our cloths and ate ....  I think we were out for only 40 minutes and by then while we were walking back out we saw nothing but German's walking off saying "Don't bother it isn't even fair".

We were like "Who the hell cares, we want to shoot someone!!"

Hence the difference in mentality for the German side.  There were some serious scenario players like us, but mostly the hoag poag grouping of late registers with no team work or command structure set up.

We tried to rally some of them as we walked back out but had no luck.

ajax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 4:09pm
The German organization issues stem from the fact that no one wants to be German. Heck, I play for a German scenario team (no one wants to play German in the TOD either) and even one of my own teammates played for the 82nd. He ended up winning Top Sniper for 2005. What happens is you get the bulk of your forces as late arrivals and they probably wanted to be Allied in the first place. It’s a little difficult to organize when 70% of your players pay for the event on Friday night or Saturday morning. I don’t blame anyone though. Who would want to be on the German side? We get disrespected all week long by a bunch of Band of Brothers wannabes that take this stuff way to seriously. We really aren’t Germans from 1944 but I can’t believe how many Allied players don’t realize that. We actually had Allied players spit on us during the parade and call us Nazis. What kind of B.S. is that? To me, all the players that preregistered as Germans are doing it for the good of the game. Instead we get treated like dogs. Many of us have been to countless D-Days and know what to expect. We figure someone has to play the German side so it might as well be us.

As for game day, the plan was to abandon St. Lo at game-on to reinforce Firebase Alpha. We had 45 players registered for FB Alpha (which was up from a total of 4 players last year) so we needed all the help we could get. St. Lo had less people than the year before (around 50 players) so we decided to move them and create a perimeter on the south side of Alpha along with about 70 from the 21st Panzer Division. After Charlie fell, the majority of St. Lo and 21st moved north to hold the airfield because those guys had really low numbers this year. Finally, the 82nd hit us along with forces from the wall. It was downhill from there. I did manage to get back inside Alpha, during a counter-attack, and hold a bunker with a couple other Germans. We lasted about 20 minutes and finally got overrun around 1:15pm. The rest of my day was spent getting blasted by Allied firing squads. A ref would herd us out to the airfield and tell us to insert. About 15 seconds later, we’d all be painted and marching back to do it all over again.
whitney1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 7:59pm

it's not about pre-registrations and walk-ons that make the difference. it's outright recruiting. the 82nd filled up so fast because they did a great job recruiting players they knew to be hard-core that wouldn't leave the field.

i was in Fox Company of the 82nd and we stood in the woods outside St. Lo for 2 hours not firing a shot because our orders were to hold. We were all tired, soaking wet, and some of us had guns that were fried, but we did what we were supposed to do. I didn't see one player from the 82nd leave the field until game was called at 4:00 because there were no germans left.

we have some of the 82nd changing sides next year just so they can show the german command how to run their game.

if you want to talk about meetings for planning, the allies had at least 2 meetings per day to go over changes and tactics, not to mention the British leaders invited the allied command staff to high tea so we could all get to know each other.

you can talk about being outnumbered all you want, but i can tell you the sides were even. i myself worked orientation and saw the numbers for both sides. the numbers were equal. we just used our numbers more effectively.

ajax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 9:38pm
Outright recruiting? The 82nd didn’t fill up because of recruiting. It filled up because that’s what happens every year. People know that if they want to be in an airborne unit you better sign up early. If you want to see an example of hardcore recruiting you need to look at General Skunkboy at Firebase Bravo. He spent a year canvassing scenario teams and put together about 70 quality players.

Why were you tired standing around St. Lo? It was an undefended base that your unit let slip through its fingers and lost. What were you doing that was so exhausting? I spoke with 82nd players in the Airfield DZ that were pissed off about standing around that long. Wouldn’t have been more fun to have at least 100 Germans there to shoot at?

Unless you ran every orientation, for both teams, and counted every hopper cover, how would you have any idea what the numbers were. At one of our Command meetings (yes, the Germans had at least two a day too) the Bunker staff confirmed that they couldn’t track the player numbers and were devising a way to figure it out. They even indicated that we could expect 3 to 1 odds. Heck, all you had to do was look at our campsite at FB Alpha, we were even outnumbered there by spillovers from the 82nd and 101st. By the time the game started on Saturday, your 82nd airborne had as many players as the Atlantic Wall, the Airfield, St. Lo, 21st Panzer, and FB Alpha combined. Unless there 1,400 Germans hiding in Firebase Charlie, the teams were nowhere near close. Your Allied high commanders aren’t switching sides to show the Germans how to do things, they’re switching because their tired of seeing the skewed numbers too. One Allied commander actually told me that the victory felt tainted and that he would have preferred to be on our side this year.

D-Day is still an experience every player should try at least once. They’ve come a long way working out the logistical and safety problems that plagued the game for several years. Hopefully they’ll focus on game balance issues this year and bring it back to its world-class stature. But if you can’t see that the numbers were way off and need to be fixed, I might as well stop this response.
whitney1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 1:12pm

i have seen the numbers because we had excel printouts of every registered player with name, number and unit. the allies were keeping track of every player that went through orientation by marking their hopper cover before they could recieve one.

general psycho of the 82nd took great care to recruit teams and players from all over that he knew to be full-out hardcore. i was tired because the 82nd had no transports to the field. we marched in from the main stage and then assaulted St. Lo through the woods. i was fine until the rain started coming down and then i just wished you guys would attack so i could do something. but i knew my job was to hold the woods south of st. lo and that's what i did. in my company, we had no one desert their post because they wanted to get in some action. we all knew there would be plenty of action before the day was out.

and i bet i know who said that, because one of the allied commanders said the same thing, but he said he wanted to switch sides to make things more fair because the german commanders don't know what they were doing. 

you can grip all you want, but the allies were far more prepared and better equipped. they is why we won this year.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slasherdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 1:18pm

Looks like Dwayne is going to try to buy some more land to make another town that the 82nd and 101st have to take.

I think this land is out past FBC.

Spartacus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 6:41pm

The only thing that needs to happen is some organization should be done on the German side. We had a field day kicking the crap out of the 1st division on the wall. Even though we lost, I think every German on the wall had a good time. We cycled people though the new bunker and kept it well stocked with fresh bodies and ammo. The damn people just didn't come back when they died or didn't come back after the rain.

BTW, the allies didn't get any bangalores set until over an hour after the start of the game. I was on top of the the new bunker had the firing sector from boat three to boat four. I killed everyone with my mag (it helped having over 1500 rounds on me). When the ramp would fall, the peeps would walk out into my stream of fire. I couldn't stop giggling. Slasherdan had the firing sector from boat two to boat three. It was utter carnage.

I think Dewayne is doing it right by trying to follow some historical tracks. 34000 Americans attacked 6000 Germans at Omaha. We held this year - nearly down to the wire. I was one of the final guys that was rooted out of the trenches by the first 88. That happened at 11:30. We lost the wall by 10:30 last year.

I will be back next year. And trust me - It will be a different story.

Edited by Spartacus

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
-GEN George S. Patton
Glurk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 7:42pm
I think things will evan out on the wall when slasherdan builds those two new bunkers

P.S. make one on the right side to stop the rangers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic