Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GUn oil???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5Balla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GUn oil???
    Posted: 14 July 2005 at 1:34pm
I have some "Gun Slick Brand" Gun oil
Rust preventive lubricant for firearms and other sportsw equipment

I was wonderin if this is ok to use on the internals of my A-5 thsi is the same lube my dad uses on all his rifels pistols etc.....
** A-5 Balla **
Upgradeds:
Bone Stock

More to come soon

I am wanting to get the E-Grip and equip it with the new W.A.S board rated at 25+ bps
DOP blade trigger
^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 1:55pm
Test it on a spare O-Ring or something, and if it eats it then no...

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 2:44pm

OK, here's the deal.

There are three types of lubricant; Petroleum based, Mineral oil based, and silicone based.  Silicone lubricants are usually found in paste or gel form and usually too thick for use on paintball markers.  Petroleum based oils like 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, and most gun oils, will break down rubber parts such as o-rings over time.  Mineral based oils like Hoppes No.9, will not harm rubber parts, which is why Tippmann recomends using it for their markers.  Also there are two types of o-rings; rubber, and neoprene.  Rubber o-rings should not be used with petroleum based oils, but neoprene can be used with any oil. 

So, if you're not sure what type of o-rings you have, simply use Hoppes and don't worry about it.

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 2:56pm
Learn something new every day...

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Stormcharger Stormcharger wrote:

OK, here's the deal.

There are three types of lubricant; Petroleum based, Mineral oil based, and silicone based.  Silicone lubricants are usually found in paste or gel form and usually too thick for use on paintball markers.  Petroleum based oils like 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, and most gun oils, will break down rubber parts such as o-rings over time.  Mineral based oils like Hoppes No.9, will not harm rubber parts, which is why Tippmann recommends using it for their markers.  Also there are two types of o-rings; rubber, and neoprene.  Rubber o-rings should not be used with petroleum based oils, but neoprene can be used with any oil. 

So, if you're not sure what type of o-rings you have, simply use Hoppes and don't worry about it.

Hmmmm. Well, there are many other types of lubricant than that. Ether based and ester based synthetics, plant derived (castor oil, corn oil, peanut oil), animal based (whale oil...one of the best) and soap based...to name just a few.

Petroleum oil is pumped out of the ground and is call a "mineral" oil because of its origin. The mineral oil you can buy in any drug store is refined from that petroleum oil pumped out of the ground. 3 in 1 is a pure refined mineral oil and will not hurt the "O" rings in the marker. WD-40 contains solvents to thin it and is a fine lubricant, just that some of those thinners may go after certain types of rubber.

Pneumatic oil used to lubricate air tools (Wow! Like a marker?). Is a pure mineral oil and is available from just about any hardware store or automotive supply. $5 will buy about 1/2 a gallon (not quite, but enough to last you the rest of your life) Lithium grease works very well...I use it in my 98C, and will not bother any standard "O" ring.

Replace your "O" rings with ones made of silicone and never worry again...they are compatible with any lubricant commonly used.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 12:05am
hoppes no.9 owns all.  Its really good but after you put it in, shoot your gun a few times.
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 2:50pm
i dont know find out......my dad builds guns and all that, and i forgot what kind of oil he gave me to put on my gun.....oh well.....if you use it on guns, it should work, dont know about the o rings though

Unicorn View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 3:13pm
Ask your dad for some Hoppes #9 (orange bottle, not the Benchrest in the black bottle). It's only like $2 at Wal-Mart if his gun store doesn't carry it. It's the safest because it's known not to destroy the orings. I don't use it on my real guns, but it works fine in my 98C. If you want to know for sure about the stuff you got, get some orings used in your gun (get the replacement oring kit from Tippmann) and soak them in whatever the oil is for a month or three. Actually get two sets, and compare the oil soaked ones to the clean one too see if there are any changes in size or swelling.
deejuks2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejuks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 5:31pm
just use marvel mystery air tool oil
duffer1497 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer1497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:33pm
hoppes#9 little orange bottle. i use it on ALL my guns REAL and PAINTBALL you cant go wrong
Vandal729 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandal729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Learn something new every day...

ur tellin me
A-5
14" J&J Ceramics
Air Through Buttstock
Halo 2 Rules!
tippy279 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy279 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 10:55am
Yea go to Home Depot and go to the pnuematic tools section. (air compressors, nail guns etc.) and get a bottle of pnuematic tool oil which is clear, mineral, and doesnt mess with your gun.  Its like 2 bucks for a pint of this stuff ya a great deal!
My guns name is Mr. Max in remembrance of my dog that got hit by a car: Tippmann A-5
Ricochet R-5
JCS double Trigger
Tippmann E-Grip
Flatline Barrel

Do you have the need for speed?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic