Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom, Take 2!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom, Take 2!
    Posted: 05 August 2005 at 9:07am
Take 1 Overview:

I've increased the efficieny of my 98 custom, by lightening the cocking stroke, making the sear pivot, centerfeeding it, milling jobs, doing the super light mods, making it anti-chop, many other mods, playing with various powertools, hurting myself with a drill, and eating sammitches, and I came out of it with a nice 98, a scar, and a pound or so. I've even found a way to make the NN e-bolt, and I've purchased an effect board and an e-bolt, so I've got the efficiency part, but now theres a new problem...

We know how to make it fast, light, accurate, and its already durable, the basics of a good speedball gun, but there's one thing killling it, to me at least, it's the length, it's really pissin me off that it's soo long, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's around 11.53 inches long without a barrel, that's long, so I had and idea, here's a pic that should explain it, a little bit, hopefully...

Ok, the front bolt area, it's got some slack, I think we could remove some of it, if nothing else, then we could machine a new powertube and bolt that are connected and shorter/better, the end of the powertube area,  it has some slack at the end that could be removed, and the bolt itself has some extra length to it, also, if we can shorten the cocking stroke, and have the marker be more effeicient, then... why do we even need that space? Cut it out. I think that I could do this, any other ideasof where things could be removed from the 98? I think the shortened bolt/tube + the shortened hammer would do 3 inches, maybe, then me with a dremel and 15 cutting disks = new receivers, then grind down the area where I stuck them back together, then a new PJ,PC,Anno, or other method of coloring it and it'd look nice, also, I think I could make the foergrip 45 if I cut it off and machined a new vert adapter, any ideas or thoghts for my little err... 'Project'? it'll be some serious time befre I can even start on this, as I'm looking for a job, but PM me to donate parts or cash I guess.

I have a barrell and paint, I need the 98c to start on, any part or cash is appreciated.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the valve itself could be shortened or modified? Also, what is the max cycle rate of the CVX valve on a 98c?

EDIT II: Ok, My plan is to remove the length from the internals, then cut the receiver for this to work, it'll be cheap, once I have the 98c, hopefully...

Edited by ^Pirate^

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 12:15pm
Up, I edited the above post, twice.

becuz we human
My ghetto gospel
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 3:05pm
Youre going to destroy your gun. The tippmann design is as short as it can be. For the bolt at least you NEED the 1 inch range of motion, and that sets the length for almost everything else in the gun. That means there has to be 1 inch of clear space on the bolt to seal the feed tube, that sets the "empty" space around both the bolts for the 1 inch of travel.

I trust tippmann for making everything as short as possible. There really isnt any wasted room in there.
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Youre going to destroy your gun. The tippmann design is as short as it can be. For the bolt at least you NEED the 1 inch range of motion, and that sets the length for almost everything else in the gun. That means there has to be 1 inch of clear space on the bolt to seal the feed tube, that sets the "empty" space around both the bolts for the 1 inch of travel.

I trust tippmann for making everything as short as possible. There really isnt any wasted room in there.

Im going with Enos on this one.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Youre going to destroy your gun. The tippmann design is as short as it
can be. For the bolt at least you NEED the 1 inch range of motion, and
that sets the length for almost everything else in the gun. That means
there has to be 1 inch of clear space on the bolt to seal the feed
tube, that sets the "empty" space around both the bolts for the 1 inch
of travel.

Im going with Enos on this one.

A good idea 99.999% of the time
rossy11223 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossy11223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 6:03pm
Looks like an iffy project to me. I wouldn't risk destroying your gun.
glazener24 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glazener24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 8:43pm
don't do it
TippmannPro13 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannPro13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by rossy11223 rossy11223 wrote:

Looks like an iffy project to me. I wouldn't risk destroying your gun.

butzmcweenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butzmcweenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 12:10am

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

don't murder your 98c.

Edited by butzmcweenie
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^|||__
|-----Tippmann----|||| '|";\,___.
|_..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
"(@)'(@)"""" |(@)(@) ````'(@)
Razgriz Ghost View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Implosion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razgriz Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 12:52am
    I'm pretty much with everyone else here that would ruin your gun. Don't do it unless you have a spare and even then I wouldn't suggest it.
tarallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 1:00am

Don't.

Although, it would be pretty sick if it could be done.

Oh, what's up Pirate?  t3h l00z4 pwns

^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 2:11am
Originally posted by tarallo tarallo wrote:

Don't.

Although, it would be pretty sick if it could be done.

Oh, what's up Pirate?  t3h l00z4 pwns

What does it look like? Trying to make a shorter 98c...

Agreed, t3h l00z4 pwns!

Well, I guess this idea's dead, kill it Enos, or someone, I guess if I want a shorter marker then I need to buy something else, or this 'High-end marker from tippmann' that I keep hearing is coming out...

becuz we human
My ghetto gospel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic