Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Co2 Tanks becoming rockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 6:02am

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

A burst disc will come off and go probly about 4 feet if you don't have a hold of it. It won't take off like a tank, because the tank has the air in it, not the burst disc.

so it WOULD fly off and with enough force to take out an eye i would imagine. STILL a bad idea!

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 4:34am
You use a socket set when you do it. That way the burst disc just goes inside the socket when it pops loose.

Edited by The Guy
CHAOSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Grent Grent wrote:

jus unscrew it with it aiming down or in a safe direction

I don't think there is a safe direction to unscrew it...if the tank comes off it will rocket everywhere, like breaking the stick off of a bottle rocket.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 1:56am
Theguy sometimes i just dont understand you. You can be smart, and then post crazy stuff like that.

Obviously the full pressure of the tank is behind the burst disc. Thats the point.

Its simple to drain a tank. Spare ASA, screw it on the valve, enjoy the show. I wouldnt **edited** around with removing the burst disc assembly from a pressurized tank, thats flat out STUPID.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 1:40am
A burst disc will come off and go probly about 4 feet if you don't have a hold of it. It won't take off like a tank, because the tank has the air in it, not the burst disc.
xerphiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xerphiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 9:34pm
A burst disc is about as wide as a screw, if you're holding it with vise grips it won't fly away.

Okay, just so people have this clear, this is the way the tanks are built, and how they should be.

1. You have the ASA (that is the part of your gun that the steel braided line goes into, and that the valve of the tank screws into.

2. The metal bit which is referred to as the "valve", "nozzle" etc. (usually a different color from the tank) is screwed onto the tank at the factory, you should never remove this peice, unless you are a licensed airsmith.

3. The burst disc(s) are the little bolt looking thing(s) with 6 sides sticking out of the valve, this is a safety measure put on tanks so they will not explode if over filled. When a burst disc blows out (it has a resistance of 3000 psi, I believe, on Co2 tanks) it means the contents of the tank were at an unsafe pressure, and if the Co2 was not heated in any way, you need to make sure you are getting your tanks filled right.

4. Lastly, you have the tank, it is really just a metal bottle where the gas is actually stored.
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 8:55pm

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Absolutly wrong guys. Take no chances, if the tank begins unscrewing. Immediatly drain your tank.

It needs to be emptied to be worked on anyway. Either remove your burst disc, or press forward on your bolt to open the gun valve.

yeah good idea unscrew a burst disc from a pressurized CO2 tank. the whole idea is NOT to propel objects from a defective tank, and you want us to unscrew one of the two things that can fly off in a potentially dangerous manner????? WOW just WOW..............shakes head and walks away

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 7:49pm
Absolutly wrong guys. Take no chances, if the tank begins unscrewing. Immediatly drain your tank.

It needs to be emptied to be worked on anyway. Either remove your burst disc, or press forward on your bolt to open the gun valve.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 5:58am

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Originally posted by shadowsniper158 shadowsniper158 wrote:

If you go to remove the tank and notice the line breaks, stop and take a wrench and remove the tank from the valve. I'm not sure if this is true or not but thought it was worth posting.

What the hell?

So if your tank is unscrewing from the valve (bad) you take a wrench and help it along its journey to becoming a missile?

Did you mistype or is someone just dumb?

He is just a little unclear. Take that wrench and unscrew the tank valve from the ASA (valve). There are no flats on the neck of the tank that would allow you to use the wrench on it.

Most of the tank valves these days have a spit hole part way down the threads so that if a valve screws part way out of the tank it vents out the side (sort of like the pressure disk blow out) emptying the tank before completely unscrewed.

These deaths took place several years ago and most valves are modified to reduce the likelihood of such unscrewing launching a missile. Just look at the neck of the tank as you are screwing it out of the ASA to assure it is cot coming out of the tank.

shadowsniper158 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowsniper158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 2:35am
Yeah, what i ment was take a wrench to the burst disk to get it out of the ASA. I was quite sleepy when i wrote the post to begin with so, when im refering to valve, i mean the burst disk. My Bad.
===============
SARGE
A-5 (Stock)
S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

If you go to remove the tank and notice the line
breaks, stop and take a wrench and remove the tank from the valve. Im
not sure if this is true or not but thought it was worth posting.

What the hell?

So if your tank is unscrewing from the valve (bad) you take a wrench and help it along its journey to becoming a missle?

I am fairly confident that he knows better then that. It is VERY common for people to call the ASA the valve.

You know what...there are far better ways to correct people then being an ********.
Grent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 7:40pm
jus unscrew it with it aiming down or in a safe direction
i lost my strike.. good things do happen to bad people
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 7:30pm

If you go to remove the tank and notice the line breaks, stop and take a wrench and remove the tank from the valve. Im not sure if this is true or not but thought it was worth posting.

What the hell?

So if your tank is unscrewing from the valve (bad) you take a wrench and help it along its journey to becoming a missle?

S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 2:58pm
People are making this a lot more complicated than they really should. The threaded part of the valve that goes into the tank is like an inch long. Just be aware of what you are doing when you are taking your tank off. If you notice that your burst disk isn't turning, then something is not going quite right.

I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to put lines on your tanks/valves, but there are many solutions. One is just paying attention. A second is just how easy it is to turn. If you take your tank off properly, it should turn effortlessly. When you unscrew it 3/4 of a turn and shoot out the CO2 in the gun (or turn off the on/off and shoot) there is no resistance to turning your tank.

And if either of those ideas aren't good enough, check these out. I just saw one for the first time today.

http://www.countypaintball.com/product_description.asp?item= 1071
rossy11223 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossy11223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 12:53pm
My co2 tank came with the white line on it already. It is a pure energy.
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 11:07am

painting a line on your valve is a good idea. this thread is in upgrades and customizing check it out

http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=886 03&PN=1

joetheman89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joetheman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:57am
very interesting, i think I might to that white out thing, no harm in doing it
98 Custom
Armson Stealth 13"
Flatline
GTA Expansion Chamber
GTA Double Trigger
Ben Tippmann Sealed Bolt
Lapco Drop
APP Sling
shadowsniper158 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowsniper158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 4:33am

I was at our local field on July 30th. They Recently came out with a new policy about removing tanks. Now only a Ref can remove your tank. The Reason Why, They said that two people were killed when people were removing there own tanks (In california). They said that when you went to remove the tank, the Tank would screw out the valve on cheaper, not well made tanks. Thus, the tank would launch off the back of the gun and fire off like a rocket. Something they suggested was take white out and place it in a straight line from the valve to the neck of the tank. If you go to remove the tank and notice the line breaks, stop and take a wrench and remove the tank from the valve. Im not sure if this is true or not but thought it was worth posting.

===============
SARGE
A-5 (Stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic