Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Co2 Tanks becoming rockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Co2 Tanks becoming rockets
    Posted: 24 August 2005 at 9:24pm
it's possible it could hit the person filling or someone standing near, correct?
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 9:04pm
don't need a coiled hose. Any steel braided hose works.

This is almost our exact fill station, we have one more valve on there though.

tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 4:07pm

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

ok then, lets think about it. If a valve is unscrewed from a tank, it will still be attached to something. Its not gonna unscrew itself just sitting there. So the valve isn;t gonna go anywhere.

the story mentioned above happened when filling a tank, correct me if i'm wrong but don't you use a coily hose when filling a tank? and if straightened through being propelled by runaway co2 don't you think it could hit someone standing near?

ps that is a very nasty comment

S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 10:00am
I will be the first to admit my faults. And so I admit that I actually never thought of that.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:10am
ok then, lets think about it. If a valve is unscrewed from a tank, it will still be attached to something. Its not gonna unscrew itself just sitting there. So the valve isn;t gonna go anywhere.

Edited by The Guy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 11:53pm
So you say a tank can go through a concrete wall...but a valve can't go through a person? What is this? Lets believe what ever BS The Guy feeds us.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 10:05pm
I think that story would be BS,

The valve would not shoot through a person.

Shens.
bigred76 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 9/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigred76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 9:40pm

Wasn't this the incident that happened in Sacramento? If so, then there shouldn't be anything to be worried about...A dumb*** Sportsmart person tried filling a CO2 tank, overfilled it, and apparently the burst disk didn't blow. Valve shot thru one person, and the tank thru the other. I believe it was also discovered that the dumb**** paintballer had used blue loctite on his valve...

If you aren't an absolute chucklehead, then you shouldn't have to worry about a tank blowing up on you...

As for the A/S tube question, Any online paintball store should have them. Here's a link to one at Action Village for $5.39: http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/S tore/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=I93_BeHwFM T_CKL77Ec_retWhp1K2XryTU4=?ProductID=vozAqArbSqUAAAECVbkmO6L C

Edited by bigred76
MoNkeY Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNkeY Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 11:27pm
  My pro shop stoped selling A/S tubes because he said that kids install them wrong and severly hert them selves, I need to get some for myRT,  and yes im going to have them installed by some one that knows what there doing.  Any clue were i can get some for cheap. I use C02 when not at my feild.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by holysmartone holysmartone wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Strap it solidly to your back and it will lift you off the ground 20 feet.

This, is perhaps a little excessive. I could do the math for you, but it would be pointless. I HIGHLY doubt any C02 tank has enough force to life your average 160 or so pound man off the ground. It COULD on the other hand go flying 20 feet on its own, but theres no way it could life that much weight. I dont debate the power to kill someone, but not lift someone from the ground.

Out of the size hole opened up when a 20 oz valve comes out may not provide enough duration of the energy to get me off the ground, but the uncontrolled tank will go 200+ feet straight up and significantly further across the ground.

BTW, some of the first rocket belts used 20 lb CO2 bottles vented through a nozzel. 20 ft altitude was easy. 250 to 400 lbs of thrust and a few seconds of flight...and then you fall from altitude. (Navy firefighter training)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Most likely it MIGHT hit the ground and then take off in another direction.

Your way of thinking is obviously flawed.

You can sit here and think about all the "could have's" and "would have's"...

I am pretty sure the point of the thread is to give you the best chance of not harming yourself and everyone around you. Quite frankly, I can't think of a safer direction. But feel free to fill me in on the better place to point your tank...
holysmartone View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike- language in posted image 6/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Strap it solidly to your back and it will lift you off the ground 20 feet.

This, is perhaps a little excessive. I could do the math for you, but it would be pointless. I HIGHLY doubt any C02 tank has enough force to life your average 160 or so pound man off the ground. It COULD on the other hand go flying 20 feet on its own, but theres no way it could life that much weight. I dont debate the power to kill someone, but not lift someone from the ground.
schnappi View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Idiot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnappi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 1:03pm
I think somebody compared it to a bottle rocket earlier...  Same thing, when you shoot a bottle rocket at the ground, it bounces off then flies in another direction.

Bottom line I guess is pay attention to what you're doing when you're taking your tank off and everything should be a-OK.  If you're paying attention, the tank won't come apart like that and kill someone.

Edited by schnappi
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 12:55pm
not quite Swat,

See it wouldn't just be a quick burst of energy. That whole tank has to empty through that hole, propultion would be sustained for a decent amount of time.

Most likely it MIGHT hit the ground and then take off in another direction.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 10:11am
You guys are forgetting though that he does have a some what valid point. When taking a tank off, the safest direction is with your barrel straight up in the air, so if the valve disconnects, it won't hit anything buy maybe your leg or foot. A broken foot is much better than killing the kid next to you.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by Grent Grent wrote:

just unscrew it with it aiming down or in a safe direction

Grent,

You have no concept of the power of created by opening a 3/4" hole in the end of a CO2 bottle filled with liquid. Strap it solidly to your back and it will lift you off the ground 20 feet. Lay it down on its side as the valve comes out pointed at a concrete block wall and the bottle will punch a hole in it. There are numerous safety reports of larger CO2 bottles falling over and breaking off the valve. Those bottles have punched through several buildings before coming to rest. They contain more volume, but the pressure is the same and the velocity achieved is equivalent to that of a rocket propelled grenade. You cannot hold onto a full or partially full bottle from which the valve comes unscrewed. This lack of understanding of the power and danger associated with CO2 and HPA cylinders is exactly what is fueling the calls for mandatory lecture training each time you get your bottle filled. If you get irritated by on-field chrono checks, I know you'll look forward to having to wait 15 minutes each time you go for a refill for the Ref to explain safety procedures and pressurized cylinders.

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by shadowsniper158 shadowsniper158 wrote:

They said that two people were killed when people were removing there own tanks (In california)
Did I somehow miss all the posts on this or is he refering to the people that messed up with installing the Anti-Syphon tubes?

Edited by Hades

schnappi View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Idiot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnappi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 2:24am
Flaming a mod shouldn't be any different from flaming a regular member...

Anyway.  Whoever it was who said to unscrew your burst valve it your tank isn't coming off the right way is a retard.  Whoever it was who said to use a wrench to get a faulty tank off was smart.  Yup.
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 2:06am
Originally posted by S\/\/4T-L()G4N S\/\/4T-L()G4N wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Originally posted by shadowsniper158 shadowsniper158 wrote:

If you go to remove the tank and notice the line
breaks, stop and take a wrench and remove the tank from the valve. Im
not sure if this is true or not but thought it was worth posting.

What the hell?

So if your tank is unscrewing from the valve (bad) you take a wrench and help it along its journey to becoming a missle?

Did you mistype or is someone just dumb?

I am fairly confident that he knows better then that. It is VERY common for people to call the ASA the valve.

You know what...there are far better ways to correct people then being an ********.

*in stage whisper* i wouldn't flame a mod if i were you!
County View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Most Favored Nation Status

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote County Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 7:54am
The burst disk CAN and WILL fly off in a potential unsafe manner if you unscrew it from a pressurized tank.

If you notice your tank coming unscrewed from the valve, screw it back on. Use a wrench to remove the bottle/valve from the ASA. If you don't have a wrench handy, take the whole setup to an airsmith and explain the problem to have it removed properly. The tank should then be drained (we have tools for draining a tank safely). The valve should be removed, loctite applied to the threads, then properly replaced OR if the valve is damaged, it should be discarded and replaced with a good one. Same for the canister. If the threading is no longer in good shape, it should be discarded.

Always better to be safe than sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic