Slavery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavery
    Posted: 29 August 2005 at 9:22pm
Did you see on the news where they arrested people for looting in New Orleans?

Edited by Jim Paint

saepe fidelis
xteam View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 9:21pm
I BLACK PEOPLE
Geoduck View Drop Down
Banned - sorry, not IP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2005 at 8:58pm
^ Interesting
Calling Bush dumb is like calling a headless man blind.
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Jim Paint Jim Paint wrote:

Originally posted by cadet_sergeant cadet_sergeant wrote:

what happened to native americans, Black, chinese, irish and many other groups, can't be changed. wether your family was slave owners, where slaves themselfs or didnt come over till after slavery was abolished they still gained benifites caused by slavery and oppression. my family was enslaved in Italy, by their own family hence; Pepiton (we are the slaves) and Pepitone (the royalty and owners) apparently the Pepitone's just decided we were inferior and enslaved us, im unsure how it exactly happened. 

What century was that in.

it started late 16th century (approximently) till the middle of the 19th century when my great great grandpa and grandma escaped into spain.  

Edited by cadet_sergeant
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:59pm
I think he is just going by his last name if anything.
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by cadet_sergeant cadet_sergeant wrote:

what happened to native americans, Black, chinese, irish and many other groups, can't be changed. wether your family was slave owners, where slaves themselfs or didnt come over till after slavery was abolished they still gained benifites caused by slavery and oppression. my family was enslaved in Italy, by their own family hence; Pepiton (we are the slaves) and Pepitone (the royalty and owners) apparently the Pepitone's just decided we were inferior and enslaved us, im unsure how it exactly happened. 

What century was that in.

saepe fidelis
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:56pm
crazyjose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyjose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 5:56pm
IT WAS WRONG NO MATTER WHAT IT DID FOR US
Hoytshooter View Drop Down
Guested - Language++

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoytshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Zesty Zesty wrote:

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Take it from a minority who actually knows what it's like to have everyone against you...if you really have the drive, no one can stop you.

And nobody doubts that.  But, as I said before, the issue isn't the cream.  John Johnson was bound to succeed, whatever his circumstances. 

But most people aren't John Johnson.  Most people are fairly motivated, fairly intelligent, fairly studious, and think Algebra II is very difficult.  What about those guys?  Should they also get the same shake, regardless of race?

The way I see it is pretty simple, no on is owed anything. Especially to the point, you continue to say the environment/status of racism in this country leads to blacks being oppressed and underpriveliged...how is that?

What opportunity is the average black kid lacking that the average white kid isn't?

From all I can see, you do well in school, you don't need any money to go to college, ESPECIALLY if you are black.

IMNSHO, an employer should be able to hire the employee they feel is most qualified for a job. If that means he hires all black guys, or all white guys, or a mix of both it doesn't bother me at all. It's his right to employee who he wants.

Specifically, what inherrent struggles do blacks face that is exclusively inherrent to their race?

I fail to see why a poor black kid from the ghetto can't do his best in school and earn good grades, earning a scholarship, getting him into a good college and on to a better job/life.

I guess it's just easier to blame it on whitey and his oppressive nature, than to admit you are just a lazy bum.

Exactly^^^^

I shoot a Hoyt

Fat Stalin View Drop Down
Strike 1 Derogatory Sexual Slur 9/22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 2:30pm
I believe it may be harder for the poor black kid, but it is still entirely possible. Also, what AA doesn't take into account are the many poor white families. It pretty much assumes all blacks are poor and all whites are stable. 

Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Take it from a minority who actually knows what it's like to have everyone against you...if you really have the drive, no one can stop you.

And nobody doubts that.  But, as I said before, the issue isn't the cream.  John Johnson was bound to succeed, whatever his circumstances. 

But most people aren't John Johnson.  Most people are fairly motivated, fairly intelligent, fairly studious, and think Algebra II is very difficult.  What about those guys?  Should they also get the same shake, regardless of race?

The way I see it is pretty simple, no on is owed anything. Especially to the point, you continue to say the environment/status of racism in this country leads to blacks being oppressed and underpriveliged...how is that?

What opportunity is the average black kid lacking that the average white kid isn't?

From all I can see, you do well in school, you don't need any money to go to college, ESPECIALLY if you are black.

IMNSHO, an employer should be able to hire the employee they feel is most qualified for a job. If that means he hires all black guys, or all white guys, or a mix of both it doesn't bother me at all. It's his right to employee who he wants.

Specifically, what inherrent struggles do blacks face that is exclusively inherrent to their race?

I fail to see why a poor black kid from the ghetto can't do his best in school and earn good grades, earning a scholarship, getting him into a good college and on to a better job/life.

I guess it's just easier to blame it on whitey and his oppressive nature, than to admit you are just a lazy bum.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 8:35am
The War of Northern Aggression was fought primarily over the issue of States Rights, the right of the individual states to determine thier own path, as originally intended, not a over controling central Federal Government favoring the industrial northern states by official policy.

Slavery was a secondary issue, wherein the Stars and Stripes supported slavery longer than the less than four years of the Stars and Bars. Several Northern States during the war still had forms of slavery supporting industrial concerns.

Grants policy of "Total War" was original in that to destroy your enemies ability to make war, you shorten the war. The narrow swaths Sherman cut through Georgia from Atlanta to Savanna was a small part of the concept, limited in scope, but it did have a dramatic impact on those affected as well as the Southern Military Commands future ability to make and sustain the war effort.

South Carolinas State Government, (The Confederate Government was not firmly established nor had any control of Confederate issues at the time), proposed a bombardmant of Ft Sumpter only after diplomatic attempts were made for the Northern garrison to agree to leave the state territory peaceably, the final decesion for the bombardment was made in error at the time, without written or supporting orders from a command, by a local artillery commander, the appearence of a Northern resupply ship entering the area instigated the beginning of the bombardmant to prevent resupply of the besieged forts garrison. And only after the fact did the Southern authorities justify the action.

Many southern troops were from the poorer end of thier society, and had no stake in the slave issue, only protecting thier homes and thier way of life. The Southern Officer corps were for the most part West Point trained and many were originally offered commands in the Northern Armies before they returned to thier home states in the south to fight for thier state. Lee was a Virginian first and American second, that was the Southern mindset of the times, allegiance to thier state first, those states under a Confederacy supporting states rights, not a Federal Government demanding a controling overall authority over state governments.

Slavery has exsited since the beginning of time and still exsists throughout the world, and somewhere in America today someone is working under conditions resembling slavery in some form or condition. And no Government edict, demand, law, policy or program, no matter how noblely inspired, will ever change the human animals desire for power over another.

Edited by oldsoldier
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:22pm
Yeah Davis was stupid for that one...
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

Yes, Fort Sumter was the sovergn territory of the state of SC, the union refused to surrender the territory to its rightful owners, therefore SC attacked to regain its territory.

Remember history is only told from the view of the side that wins.

The fact that the North was disturbingly brutal during the invasion of the South is usually left out.

We learned about it.  Grant didn't like burning all the farms and such, but if he didn't the money would fund the south.

And if the south IS all about just being independent, why did Lee take the offensive and march north?  He may have been able to just defend the south, instead of trying to conquer the north.

Lee did not make the diescion to attack north, that was Davis. The march north is what screwed the CSA over, the idea behind it was to demoralize the population of the north and turn public opinion against the war. It didnt work.

Ah, I always thought Lee would have known better.

saepe fidelis
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

What us the reason you dislike gangsters?

Out of curiosity have you ever met a person with which you would label gangser?

I have never stopped to talk with any, because of the looks I get just walking from my car to a reds game.  I've been offered crack though, but that wasnt the typical "gangsta or thug".

saepe fidelis
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

Yes, Fort Sumter was the sovergn territory of the state of SC, the union refused to surrender the territory to its rightful owners, therefore SC attacked to regain its territory.

Remember history is only told from the view of the side that wins.

The fact that the North was disturbingly brutal during the invasion of the South is usually left out.

We learned about it.  Grant didn't like burning all the farms and such, but if he didn't the money would fund the south.

And if the south IS all about just being independent, why did Lee take the offensive and march north?  He may have been able to just defend the south, instead of trying to conquer the north.

Lee did not make the diescion to attack north, that was Davis. The march north is what screwed the CSA over, the idea behind it was to demoralize the population of the north and turn public opinion against the war. It didnt work.

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:07pm
What us the reason you dislike gangsters?

Out of curiosity have you ever met a person with which you would label gangser?

Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:06pm
I think you misunderstood that.

I know I'm probaly wrong about most.  I am friends with a gothic kid, but hes not into it like most of them.  And I dont like most of them, for the fact that many sneer at me when I have never even seen them.  The same as when I go downtown, I get dirty looks walking to reds games from "gangstas and thugs".

Edited by Jim Paint

saepe fidelis
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:03pm
I am not saying judging someone is wrong or following your first impression is wrong. I am saying judging someone of their appereance, then negatively labeling them because of of it, and then making a negative group label for that group solely for their apperence/background/ social wealth/ any category is racist.

Glad to know that if you ever met me, 99 percent of the time you will dislike me.

^^^
Exactly, so what is the difference, Jim? Why is it that you dislike gangsters than?

Edited by Hades

Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Jim, It is racist/prejuduce because your defining the people with whom you label gangsta' or thug off their appearance without ever having gotten to know them personally or seen their actions. I am guessing you havent seen too much gang activity ever in your lifetime. Therefore to judge someone by their apperence alone is prejudious. Then to catagorize the people you deem gangsta into one big group and give it a negative label is racist.

I think gothic kids dress weird too, and I don't hate all whites.

saepe fidelis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic