FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 5:28pm
My private high school is comprised of one-thousand students from the higher socio-economic brackets in Baton Rouge. Approximately ten are black.

Does anyone know the percentage of blacks in Baton Rouge, Louisiana? It is 50.02%. At my equal-opportunity (but expensive) high school, 1% of the population is African-American.

Funny how that works.

Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 5:23pm

I'm not at all denying the effects of slavery, because they are still evident.

I'm just trying to saying that because some white guy had a few hundred slaves a way long time ago doesn't mean that I should feel guilty. I feel sorry for what the Africans had to go through, and American messed up big time (a lot of other countries did as well).

EDIT: Countries/Empires. America wasn't the first and wasn't the last.

Edited by Roll Tide
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

I'm not going to treat anyone better or worse because of their race. I think it's stupid that a black kid not getting into college can blame it on his relatives being enslaved 200 years ago. He can go to school, try his hardest to not associate with the crime and drugs, and get into college.

The United States strives for equality, and I that's what I'll treat them as, an equal.

Unfortuantely your idealism is not sought by the rest of the population. Your blindess to the longlasting effects of slavery and racism is not new, as it is evident that many others on the forum are just as blind. Like I said, many of you will not know what its like, so your comments can be taken lightly.

Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 5:04pm

I'm not going to treat anyone better or worse because of their race. I think it's stupid that a black kid not getting into college can blame it on his relatives being enslaved 200 years ago. He can go to school, try his hardest to not associate with the crime and drugs, and get into college.

The United States strives for equality, and I that's what I'll treat them as, an equal.

<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:54pm
I love where I live. But I realize I am no better or no worse than others. We have our goods and bads, as do other countries, religions, communities, etc.

Edited by Dune
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:53pm
I'll be honest. I think the county where I live is better than the rest of the world. 

reclusivetorrid View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Look at me, I came out of my hole!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reclusivetorrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:48pm
wow...this has turned into nothing but a liberal feeding frenzy.

I actually disagree with the primary topic of the post. Slavery is always bad. I have many relatives that were inslaved (long ago , great, great grandfather...)

I was actually enslaved for a week last summer (no kidding, there are people that know this to be true in this forum). (just long enough to understand).

Affirmative action was intended to help (and it wasn't really a horrid idea), but it really doesn't work. Just like most of our welfare system. It is flawed because it is run by lazy government workers who don't really care. Or enforced by blood sucking lawyers who only want to turn a profit.

At this point,I think that this post has gotten out of hand, and would like to submit a formal request for closure.

You all have gotten extremely off topic. This has turned into nothing but a flame session.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Oh I see. Its not their fault the school is infested with crime and drugs. They do it to themselves.

You truly are a moron.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Here's what I think needs to happen.

DiBi and Pred need to talk to one of the bruthas at Pred's country club, and see if he has a cousin with a ghetto pass.

Then said cousin takes Dibi and Pred into S.E. for some good soul food.  Have some pigs feet and chitterlings with hot sauce.  Maybe get a haircut.

It would be good for both of you.

I actually have eaten good old soul food and such when i lived in alabama.  And i have talked to some real ghetto people.  They are actually fun to talk to and have stories that I like to hear.  I have two sides.  The simple, country life side, and the classy side when need be.  But i enjoy soul food, gospel, and the like. 

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

It's fine culture to play golf and wear polo? I don't think it's fine culture, I hate that stuff.

nooo, i think golf is alright, but i like to drive the cart and stuff.  I like the way polo clothes look and feel.  I also enjoy lacrosse and baseball.  But when it comes to high life things, i do enjoy nice restaurants and the like.  But i was raised as a boy in Alabama, so i also enjoy fishing in a river, hiking and such. 

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:26pm
Haha, good idea clark.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:26pm

Here's what I think needs to happen.

DiBi and Pred need to talk to one of the bruthas at Pred's country club, and see if he has a cousin with a ghetto pass.

Then said cousin takes Dibi and Pred into S.E. for some good soul food.  Have some pigs feet and chitterlings with hot sauce.  Maybe get a haircut.

It would be good for both of you.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:25pm
You guys really need to do more reading and less listening to your parents.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

You do not understand Afirmative Action, that's where you go wrong.

Its supposed to make things "equal" for everybody by creating quotas of how many of each race are admitted into schools and even jobs.

The reason it was created: To make amends for slavery and racism.

You know what it is, but you do not understand how it works.

Then teach me, I'll listen

The problem occurs with companies, employers, etc. who may or may not use race as a basis for who gets hired. However, it is supposed to be used, as with many types of job and school openings as a way to allow more minorities equal chances. So in addition to those spots already open, more spots would be allotted for minorities, and those who do not qualify would not be allowed in. It is not the fault of the program, just those who do not know how to implement it or those who hate it because they don't understand it.

Sounds exactly like what I thought.  A program based on race.

Why not go a step further towards equality and base the program on where people live and their wealth.  The program is deisgned to help minorities better themselves, but if they are already very well off why not stretch it down to those who arent better off and live off what they can, including the whites. 

That sounds more fair to me.

because we white people are responsible for all the minority problems, or so we are told by our liberal friends such as Al Sharpton, whos views on just about everything but race, i can associate with.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:25pm

Its supposed to make things "equal" for everybody by creating quotas of how many of each race are admitted into schools and even jobs.

The problem occurs with companies, employers, etc. who may or may not use race as a basis for who gets hired. However, it is supposed to be used, as with many types of job and school openings as a way to allow more minorities equal chances. So in addition to those spots already open, more spots would be allotted for minorities, and those who do not qualify would not be allowed in. It is not the fault of the program, just those who do not know how to implement it or those who hate it because they don't understand it.

Why not go a step further towards equality and base the program on where people live and their wealth.  The program is deisgned to help minorities better themselves, but if they are already very well off why not stretch it down to those who arent better off and live off what they can, including the whites. 

There's much more to it that what I explained. It's a very difficult program to understand and I'm still working on it. In fact, many times there is emphasis placed on those who are in financial need as well, not only race.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:24pm
It's fine culture to play golf and wear polo? I don't think it's fine culture, I hate that stuff.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:23pm

Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:22pm

it's common place to see a white person fired for slacking or the like, but when a minority worker gets cut, you tend to see lawsuits and such.  Im not saying this in prejudice, but im saying this from what i see in the news.  And i like Dbib prefer the Fine elements of culture.  In fact one of my black friends goes golfing with me and to polo stores.  He's quite the geltleman and he's black.  The stereotype that black people live the ghetto life makes me laugh.  There is a mixed culture of blacks, middle eastern, and white people and my local country club.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by Predatorr Predatorr wrote:

I think that it would be worse if you hired a minority worker and had to fire him/her because of poor performance.

You don't have to hire anyone. White people are fired everyday for poor performance, but no one says anything.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 3:19pm
I think that it would be worse if you hired a minority worker and had to fire him/her because of poor performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>
  Share Topic