Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavery
    Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:37pm
As a disclaimer this is in no way meant to be a racial discussion, if you want to criticize ethnicities just don't post.

I recently read a book as summer homework for C&E.  It was called Founding Brothers.  I used to beleive that slavery never should have taken place at all, but this book has changed my views, I now believe that slavery was a vital part of America's existence during its founding.  Here is a part of my report that explains why abolishing slavery when the nation was founded would have severly damaged America as a nation (keep in mind I have not revised the report yet):

"If slavery was abruptly stopped during the founding of the country, a few things would have happened. First, a severe amount of currency would have stopped circulating because much of what the money was used on (crops, clothing, ect.) would not be made anymore because the ones who produced them would not have to anymore. This would severely cripple the economy, causing inflation.

Second, there would be an absence of some foods that were farmed by generally the slave population. This would have caused food supply to shorten in the short term until people could be paid to farm. The food shortage might have caused weakness or death for some of the working population and farmers which relied on their crops to survive which could also hurt the economy because of decreased production of goods causing further inflation.

Third, there would be hundreds of thousands of freed slaves with nothing except their clothes across the country. This would cause a dramatic increase in demand for things that were now severely decreasing in quantity. This would cause people not being able to get things essential to survive causing death for many, possibly including the United States of America."

Discuss

Edited by WGP guy
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:40pm
Eh. It happened. I dont care one way or the other.
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:48pm

If the Romans hadnt hung a man from a cross, history up until today as we see it would be much different as well.

oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:54pm

<Edited>

Edited by Reb Cpl
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:58pm
Well if it would have saved the murdering and degredation of an entire race for hundreds of years, just to push our economy back (like it isn't already in a hole) then I say that's fine. It shouldn't have taken place, no matter what some people may think. Books have been written about everything, so I pick and choose my opinions carefully. Trying to justify it would be like saying "Well Hitler did give many people jobs when they built those camps."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:04pm
As far as im concerned we were buying from slave traders. They enslaved their own people. So, we were buying goods and services.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:06pm

It doesn't suprise me to see this whole "it's not our fault" attitude. The US likes to use that a lot, epsecially when taking land from Native Americans and many of our other great feats.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:09pm
Aww we took their land..
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:09pm
Yeah, it's attitudes like that that make me scared you'll someday have children.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:11pm
meh, the dutch invented the slave trade, and people were enslaving other people long before the US started it.  We just carried on the trend and did degrade an entire race of people. 
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:12pm
It doesn't matter who started it. The point is we participated, on a massive level. We murdered plenty. We almost exterminated an entire race of Native Americans, from their land. We did the same with the Mexicans and their land as well. We have done a lot of evil, and slavery is definitely one of those evils.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:13pm
Good.

I didnt steal any land. My parents didnt steal any land, neither did my grandparents and so on and so forth. They were wine makers if France.

Edited by DBibeau855
agentwhale007. View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming 9/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:13pm

You mean people actually think it was a good thing?

Simply amazing.

Hey, nice marmot!
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:14pm
But you pass off what the US did like it's not a big deal. That type of apathy is disgusting. Giving an "okay" to them because it happened a long time ago. While those other races of people are still feeling the effects today.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:18pm
No one is saying its ok. But crying and moaning about it today doesnt do any good. Know the history so it doesnt happen again. But im trired of people saying "My people were persecuted 200 years ago! BY YOU! Now give me reparation money! And a memorial! And a national day!"
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:20pm
These people are still feeling the effects of it today. Some of these things are the least we can do. However, I know many people can't wrap their minds around the idea, mostly in part because their parents also have no idea how damaging it was and still is.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:21pm
Who are still feeling the effects?
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:23pm

Both African Americans and Native Americans are still feeling the effects of slavery, slaughter, and racism.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:24pm
Uh huh. How.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 2:24pm
I dont understand the whole reparations part and frankly i think it's BS that people nowadays who may not of even owned slaves would have to pay more taxes to make a group of people feel better about past actions.  Material possessions cannot repair the pain felt 200 years till the 60's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic