Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Paintjob FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 4:44pm
Woa zbusse i got it ! id love to paint my gun winter camo !
anyone ever done it please post pics my dads building a fal ( real gun ) so he bought a airbrushing kit so i figured i could take advantage of it.
Chubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:57pm

when you are painting a 98c, do you actually have to REALLY take the entire gun apart or can you just remove those 6 primary screws, remove the shell and paint that. then flip the gun over and do that side of the gun. or is their a chance of paint getting in the gun and damaging it?

oh and if you are looking for a sweet paintjob, you can get some of that Duplicolor Mirage stuff. they have a limited amound of colors but your gun will be freakin sweet with some of that. i dont want it cuz they dont have a color combination that intrests me but go to duplicolor website and check it out.

Edited by Chubby - 25 July 2006 at 10:09pm
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 3:05pm

I just painted my grip and hopper for my a-5. I did it camo style, the tape way and layered it with 5 colors.I think it looks pretty sweet, and i going to do my flatline soon.But note, you have to let the paint set and cure before applying more tape and layering it up. this can easily take up to a day for the paint to be totally dry before you apply anymore tape or paint. I just dont want to commit to my reciever and paint it cause i wouldnt be able to play for a week or so.  

Tippmann_playa View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 2/19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippmann_playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 2:19am
sick

Tippmann A-5
APE Rampage
68/3000(remote)
Collapsible Carbine Stock
JCS Double Finger
Flatline w/ Battle Shroud
14' Progressive Rifled
Squeeshies
Lightning Rod
Vortex Mod
Sly Profit
EMRD
98Ghillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98Ghillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:36pm
I like the eagle on your gun wookie
darkandstormy_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkandstormy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:40pm
when painting your gun how long can you stick it in the oven after its done to make the paint stay on better.. and do i spry the  clear coat before i bake it or after???????
Desert Wookie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 10:35am
Bake for 1 hour at a low temp (like ~100F) Use a thermometer; stick a towel in the door to prop it open. Watch it closely.

Spay clearcoat before you bake.

G'luck
LtCold Steel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LtCold Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2006 at 11:02am

I am wanting to paint all of my guns, a 98, A-5 and a Spyder Xtra,

My Spyder Xtra is that shiny blue and silver, so i need to sand all on the metal parts of the Spyder to get paint to stick?

pdwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 6:50pm
yeah so I'm pretty sure that A-5 with the white camo is the nicest paintjob on a gun I have ever seen, you did an amazing job.
98 custom
car stock
handle/ sight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 9:24pm
Playing around with a pattern.

So the white you see is my stencil.
Whats kinda neet is when I invert the pic, it looks spiffy. snow camo, neet huh?

I'll post the finished stuff in about a week or so :)

Edited by Desert Wookie - 28 January 2007 at 9:25pm
Black_Shadow View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Penguin-abuser from <heck> ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black_Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 10:16am
i plan to do a paintjob on my new 98c, but im not sure whether to go with a metallic white, or some silver to yellow or gold or red fade

one of the best things to use is automotive paint, its relatively cheap and looks great...

i may not be one for the camo paintjob, but still cool use of stencils...

Note: the best way to do a fade is to spray the brightest/shiniest color first, then spray the other color as you move it away from your marker, it turns out great after 3-4 light coats of gloss...

also theres a cool technique i came up with to put pinstripes on your marker, ill test it out first, but you can be sure ill cover it in my paintjob post...

great job wookie!

Edited by Black_Shadow - 21 February 2007 at 10:18am
98CP ACT
R/T
J&J Ceramic 14"
Egg II w Z-Board
GTA Inline X-Chamber
NCStar Red-Dot
Pen Spring Mod
Trigger Stops
Polished Internals
Dye Sticky Grip
20oz Co2 w On/Off

Next Up: Spimmy
ownagewith98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ownagewith98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 10:35pm
i like ur digi camo with the black grey and white- ur an awesome painter, were u live maybe if ur near me i could get u to paint my gun lol (jk)
thghst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thghst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 4:46am
sweet im goign to try this
hmmm....so how do you want to do this? on top or bottom?
98customdude98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98customdude98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 1:10pm
if i jst wanted to paint the gun nothing else, what should i use and how should i do it.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 5:23pm
If you have an airbrush, duracoat is a dandy paint that will last a very long time.

If you are going the spraycan route, use soem brownells alumahyde or krylon fusion. Do the standard cleaning and priming before you apply the paint.

G'luck
xXDemonXx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXDemonXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 10:01pm
im spending most of my money on the gun so for the paintjob im just going
to use painters tape ripped upand some of my model spray paint. will that
do and also i have a A-5 and i like Tippmann graphic should i tape off the
whole part or just the lettering and graphics and would i use an xacto to do
that and would that cut the gun and ruin the paintjob.... help me im a newb
at painting my gun but im pro at painting other players :) in just kinda outa
my zone
mickco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 12:27am
hello i have been thinking about this for a while and i got the extra money to do this now. I was wondering if someone can point me in the direction of a gravity feed airbrush, preferibly one that comes with conpressed air that way i dont have to dig up my air compressor. i dont really want to spend more then $50 on this because im only painting a few guns and a ps3. thanks in advanced. if you live in toronto or the gta (you know who you are) and know of a good store please tell me. i prefer to buy from a store then online
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 8:49am
[QUOTE=xXDemonXx] im just going
to use painters tape ripped upand some of my model spray paint. will that
do and also i have a A-5 and i like Tippmann graphic should i tape off the
whole part or just the lettering and graphics and would i use an xacto to do
that and would that cut the gun and ruin the paintjob.../QUOTE]

Tape and model paint will be fine.

As for the A5 nameplate, I would take a hair dryer and warm it up. Then carefully remove the nameplate. Paint your gun and glue it back in place.

My $.02

Edited by Desert Wookie - 13 August 2007 at 8:49am
pants500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pants500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 3:29am

Hey guys, i really appreciate these guides, i'm in the process of painting a 98 custom as a project of mine.  I found this pretty decent 98 used w/ a 9oz co2, + 2 hoppers for 75 bucks on ebay, and just had to nail it. Currently i'm in the process of sanding, and i should be done by tomarrow.  I'll post pics up on the finished product, just thought i'd say thank you to those who made guides.

A-5:
E-grip with APE rampage board installed, JCS powertube, JCS rear velocity adjust,JCS Jet click cyclone feed mod, camo graphics kit, freak barrel kit, 4500 psi tank.

CCI Phantom
barf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2007 at 3:37pm

my digicam tropical green 98....

did the ghetto method with painters tape.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic