Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Paintjob FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2008 at 4:40pm
Looks great considering you went the tape route! That must have taken some time.
ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 7:33pm
Just a couple painting tips.

Oven cleaner, like Easy Off, will eat paint but not
plastic. I have used it many times on different types of
plastic and plaster. It usually needs to be used twice.
Spray the object heavily, let it sit for 15 minutes,
scrub it with warm soapy water and a dish scrubber, dry
it, and repeat. It doesn't work on baked enamel or
powder coating, but works on pretty much any spray paint
we use at home.

Scotch-Brite (3M) scour pads, which are 4x6 inch
(10x15.5cm), 1/4 inch (8mm) thick, and usually dark
green, are equivalent to 400 grit sandpaper. They're
used in autobody shops for things like radiator grills,
and tight spots. They work great for sanding between
coats of paint to remove lint that fell on the paint, or
to remove the gloss from enamel. I use them dry. Using
them with water will make them sand more aggressively.
The red ones, if you can find them, are more coarse..
about 300 grit. They're about $3 for 5, and last a very
long time. You can sand down an entire car with one of
them, and it's still good after. They're good until they
fall apart.
Mrwaffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrwaffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:20pm

I HAVE extensively looked through this topic. I still however have some questions (in no particular order)

Questions I have:

-I don’t need reducer unless its humid outside, correct?

-What does the hardener do and do I need it?

-Do I need a clear coat?

-For TruStrip, do I want the aerosol can or a pint (can) of TruStrip?

-What is Denatured Alcohol used for? ( to clean parts after paint stripping, trustrip, sanding and then the alcohol I’m guessing?)

What kind of chemicals do I want to clean my airbrush with, if any?

Will I need anything else to clean my airbrush with?

My brother has a 125psi compressor will that work? Anything special that a compressor must have to be able to work? (it’s got a ¼ hose and the advanced spray kit comes with a ¼ hose adapter so I figure it’s good in that aspect)

What kind of grit sanding paper do I need for the metal parts? (I know for plastic since madcardisease suggested 600-800 and I figure I will use 800)

On lauerweaponry.com I can only purchase the ez airbrush kit and the Advanced Airbrush Kit, I want the advanced, correct?

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?ID=1SAB&image=air bushkits.gif&frameset=1

I should use M.E.K paint stripper/cleaner or Jasco Paintstripper to get strip the paint I currently have on my 98C.Then I should use the TruStrip to clean the gun off after that. Then I sand down everything to prepare for painting. Good so far?

Any other steps to prepare the gun I should know about BEFORE I paint the gun?

So I’m thinking when I place my order at lauerweaponry I will get:

DuraCoat Ultra Flat Tactical Coyote Brown, 4 oz.

DuraCoat Ultra Flat Tactical OD Green, 4 oz.

DuraCoat Ultra Flat Tactical Dark Earth, 4 oz.

DuraCoat Ultra Flat Tactical Black, 4 oz.

Advanced Airbrush Kit

Other stuff I need (to buy):

3M blue painters tape

Wet/Dry fine sanding sponge

methyl ethyl keytone (M.E.K.) paint stripper/cleaner or Jasco Paintstripper (which one works better?)

Denatured Alcohol

Paint respirator

DUPLI-COLOR ADHESION PROMOTER (says its good for painting plastic, fiberglass, bumpers and aluminum trim molding)

800 grit wet sandpaper

Thing I have, but will need:

Laytex gloves

Exacto knife

Thanks very much

Nikolai049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikolai049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 10:28pm
I prefer camo gun wrap - It's somewhat durable, adaptive and removes without sticking up my gun...
Desert Wookie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Master Painter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 9:27am
My apologies for not replying in a timely fashin; School & work have been keeping me away from the forums for a while now... It is probably too late to answer these for you, but perhaps it will help others who are searching through the thread.

Originally posted by Mrwaffles Mrwaffles wrote:

-I don’t need reducer unless its humid outside, correct?

-What does the hardener do and do I need it?

-Do I need a clear coat?

-For TruStrip, do I want the aerosol can or a pint (can) of TruStrip?

-What is Denatured Alcohol used for? ( to clean parts after paint stripping, trustrip, sanding and then the alcohol I’m guessing?)

I dont use reducer; I'm not sure exactly when you would use it. But if its related to humidity, then that might be why. We avg about 20% here in New Mexico.

Hardener comes with the paint when you buy it. You need it to make it cure.

Clearcoat adds another layer of "clear" paint on top; It will give you added protection.

I have not used TruStrip. I use Alcohol & MEK for degreasing/ cleaning.

What kind of chemicals do I want to clean my airbrush with, if any?

I use MEK to flush the system. Duracoat contains MEK in it, so using MEKfor a cleaner will help break up the junk inside.

My brother has a 125psi compressor will that work? Anything special that a compressor must have to be able to work?

Thats plenty fine. You might need one of those dessicant modules that goes inline. It removes oil/water that might be in the line.

What kind of grit sanding paper do I need for the metal parts? (I know for plastic since madcardisease suggested 600-800 and I figure I will use 800)

I use a sandblaster but the grit you selected seems appropriate. I like the Al-Ox paper best.

On lauerweaponry.com I can only purchase the ez airbrush kit and the Advanced Airbrush Kit, I want the advanced, correct?

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?ID=1SAB&image=air bushkits.gif&frameset=1

I should use M.E.K paint stripper/cleaner or Jasco Paintstripper to get strip the paint I currently have on my 98C.Then I should use the TruStrip to clean the gun off after that. Then I sand down everything to prepare for painting. Good so far?

Any other steps to prepare the gun I should know about BEFORE I paint the gun?

The adv airbrush will do the trick.

I use Jasco first. Wash with soap & water. Sand. Rinse with Alcohol.

The only thing to be aware of is that you need a good respirator mask and good ventilation. MEK/Duracoat is some bad stuff. Folks nickname Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Methyl Ethyl Death. Dont skimp on this. Also get a good pair of thick chemical gloves.

Epic Otter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epic Otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2008 at 8:07pm
i hate barging into the middle of a thread, but i'm looking to paint my Alpha black w/ e trigger, and kinda curious about painting it. How well will the plastic take the paint, or any recommendations? 

Edited by Epic Otter - 27 December 2008 at 8:13pm
paintballplaya7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballplaya7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 12:39am
use the krylon special camo paint. good for plastic. it may take a little extra paint compared to metal. make sure to due light layers, don't glob it
*Custom Pro
*Cyclone feed
*X7 hopper
*M16 Carry Handle
*BT 16 Apex Barrel
*Car Stock
*remote
*camo paint job
*Single point sling
*JT Full Coverage Camo
*realtree RAP4 vest
robo4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robo4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 7:09pm

if i wanted to paint a hopper, would it be any easier, this is too challenging,lol pm me

You pop your head up and you see a paintball flying through the air and SPLAT! YOUR OUT!
Malolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:23pm
Was going to do digi camo, but then got tired of making stencils, so I went with tiger stripe, and decided to stop at the hopper and clip. But I really like the olive drab colour.

Edited by Malolo - 19 May 2009 at 10:24pm
ShotFromAfar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotFromAfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2009 at 9:01pm
Could you perhaps tell me what build you have there? its an A-5 no doubt but what attatchments?cool gun btwClapClapClapClap

You need some wine for that stunt
diablomotoracing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diablomotoracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:04am
i'm good with all programs to get digi temps but i dont want to look like a show off when i'm on the field.... What do you think.... I'm not a "Pimped-Out" kind of guy... lol

Any ideas....
Don't hate me
mrspeeddemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeeddemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 12:23am
mrspeeddemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeeddemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 12:24am
let me know what you guys think, I'm new to the forum
unclebob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:29pm
sweet thread just checking it out and now thinking bout painting my x7 so, i just scanned through the thread and what i get is take the gun apart, sand it down to roughen the finish, apply the stencils and paint i'll probably use spray paint unless i can find a decent airbrush and borrow buddies compressor, then let sit,
how long should it sit before adding the next layer of paint cause i dont want my gun to be all sticky in the end is there a special kind of paint that should be used, ive taken it apart before so i have no problem doing that since it seems some people are to scared to take theirs apart and they wont be able to put it back together,
ICEMANN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICEMANN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:40pm
I LOVE THIS THREAD, THE GUNS, THE PAINT-JOBS!!!!!!
It's freakin' awesome. I have a Tippmann 98C Platinum and got a Realtree camo kit for it, but as it turns out, it was for a regular 98C....WELL CRAP! Time for new ideas!
So, now I have plenty of ideas on what to do to camo it up. BTW, while I'm thinking about it, does anybody on here have some gun ghillie techniques??
I was also wanting to tell you guys that are planning on using spray paint, At Wal-mart, there is actually like four different camo colors (SUPER-FLAT) made by Rust-O-Leum and it's a fairly decent price for them.
ICEMANN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICEMANN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:45pm
I was too, and I did take mine apart, and....of course I forgot how to put them back together...three Viewloaders...Triad, Lancer, And High Voltage...then I got on Tech Support on thir website and they fortunately had exploded view diagrams of my guns....Thank the world of confused paintball people for that one!! I got them bak together and they work, so I'm safe.
ICEMANN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICEMANN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:47pm
mrspeeddemon, That gun is awesome! The only thing that I'd change would be the grey shroud, maybe flat black, but hey, that's my opinion, we all have our own styles man. NICE GUN!
mrbooks10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbooks10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 4:10pm
Thumbs Up that is one nice paintjob :)
iN mY gAmE, yOu DoNt WiN
Paintball Sniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 5:15pm
I like speedemons paint job
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Paintball Sniper Paintball Sniper wrote:

I like speedemons paint job

That marker looks oddly familiar.  Smile    He should post the pic up in the Marker Gallery as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic