Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pneumatic grenade launcher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pneumatic grenade launcher
    Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:22pm
I'm building a CO2 powered grenade launcher out of PVC pipe. It's 95% done but I've run into some problems. I need a 1/8" male to ASA female adapter, also called a Vertical Adapter to finish the launcher. I also need a new 12 gram CO2 ASA adapter because I broke the one I was using from an old tigershark. Does anyone know a reliable/inexpensive/quick shipping outfit I could purchase this stuff from. Would it be sold at normal brick-and-mortar shops?

P.S. - are custom guns like this usually allowed at fields?

Thanks,
tpitman
Sargent Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sargent Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:29pm
depends. My woodsball field allowed a friend of mine to use home made smoke grenades, a bazooka type thing (A pvc pipe he filled with about 50 paintballs, then fired them all at once from a 9oz tank....once he got the pressure up), and a morter type thing. You'll have to ask.
Ref: I want a nice clean game
player: but it's paintball!
Juette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:32pm
I'd love to see the specs on that thing when you get it completed.  I'd like to make one, too.  My email is: usmmountainbiker@aol.com
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:35pm
alright, I've never even played at a field anyways but if I do some time I was just wondering. I've been looking around and I found at least two of what looks like what I need. One is a Shocktech Autococker ASA Adapter from actionvillage, and the other is a 32 Degrees Spyder Vertical Adaptor Stainless steel from 888 paintball. Links are provided. Are there any differences between these? Is there a threading tap that would fit the 1/8" male end of these adapters? Thanks alot!

Shocktech one:

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS /Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WcxLvUy8 Q4pLXQ_wOmaLFUYaZ_8Utde-N18=?ProductSKU=011-9054-1

32 degrees one:

http://www.888paintball.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1 507967/vpcsid/0/SFV/30842/sret/14172202192142152142812102272 2628322421328621722021929022129422923023324023122624524023 52 42241

Edited by tpitman
Sargent Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sargent Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Juette Juette wrote:

I'd love to see the specs on that thing when you get it completed.  I'd like to make one, too.  My email is: usmmountainbiker@aol.com

Heh, I'll see what I can find for you. My friend made it, and I'm kinda away at University. I'll see if I can get him to email me some pics of it, to give you a rough idea of what it looks like.
Ref: I want a nice clean game
player: but it's paintball!
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:22pm
It's pretty simple. I haven't found any resources that tell directly how to make a grenade launcher, but spudtech.com was a great resource. I think the site is abandoned but the info is still there. Specifically look at the LP(low pressure) guns. One of those is CO2 powered. Anyone know have an answer about those two Vertical Adapters?
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:41pm
Hey, be VERY careful using CO2 with PVC.  The dramatic temperature change when the CO2 pressure is released can get the PVC very brittle and cause it to weaken or explode.  I'm pretty well versed in SPUDGUN's, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.  I've seen this happen, especially if the CO2 isn't regulated well, or if the gas sits in the chamber too long and has a chance that the temperature can increase the pressure beyond the rateing for PVC.  The Vortex Football launchers you see on places like SpecialOp's, are generally made of heavy aluminum or other such metals.  Checkout my webpage for some of the Spudgun's I've made.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by tpitman tpitman wrote:

but spudtech.com was a great resource.

www.spudtech.com is still there.  He uses a CO2 reg, to drop the pressure to below 125psi, and that is out of an UPRIGHT bulk tank with no siphon tube in it, meaning ONLY gas.  Again, be extremely careful with CO2 and PVC.  I recommend against it.  If you need to recharge in the field, use a small bike pump.  I can manually fill my pneumatic launch to 115psi in about 3 minutes with a clip-on bike pump.  At 115psi, I can shoot a vortex football well over 300 yards (that's right 900feet) and a golf ball, close to a mile (including bounces).

Edited by spudcrazy
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:58pm
Finally someone who's something about this stuff! I've been trying to figure everything out on my own which sucks and can be dangerous. I appreciate your concern. Ideally I want to use 12 gram CO2 cartridges. For now I've been using a regular tank with an on/off but it's leak so bad that I couldn't safely keep the pressure up. I've considered the fact that the CO2 will expand. I'm concerned about how cold it does get inside the chamber. By bike pump do you mean manual as in a hand pump. I didn't think you could get that kind of pressure with one. If that works I will seriously consider it as an alternative. Buying an electric pump that is 100+psi is pretty much out of the question. Do you have any suggestions with using 12 grams?
Thanks,
tpitman
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 6:07pm
if you look at spudtech.com and navigate to the TBL250LP launcher you can clearly see that it uses 12 gram CO2. This is what I want to do, but I'm not clear about how he's getting it into the chamber.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 7:03pm

First off, yeah I hand bicycle pump will do.  Remember a ten speed (does that age me or what?) bike tire takes about 90 to 100 psi.  It can get a little tiring once you're over about 90psi.  However, 90psi will easily shoot a tennis ball a heck of a lot farther than any paintball gun will reach.  I've successfully shot a wad (Dixie Cup) full of paintballs over 600 feet.  However, most of them didn't break..  The only time I've ever filled my pneumatic up beyond 100psi was in the winter when I was shooting water out of the muzzle and trying to make snow.  (It actually worked, but the snow flakes were dinky).  I have a blow off valve that opens up at 125psi (for safety).  The propanes are much more fun...

On to the question about Joel's TBL250LP.  I believe what he has is a 12gram cartridge that screws into a pin valve.  http://www.paintballgeeks.com/12gramquicch.html Then the enitre contents of the CO2 cartridge is dumped into the chamber (one shot per cartridge), via a 3/4" brass plumbing elbow.  However, his is safe (relatively) because his chamber has a much larger volume, enough that when the CO2 gets dumped, even at extreme temps, he only gets about 85psi (P1V1=P2V2).  This is due to the volume of the chamber.  If his chamber was half that size, he would have problems, because then the pressure would double.  Also, he made this spudgun to launch dummies for dog training, so it would only shoot a paintball grenade about 150 feet or so (which is ideal).  All the parts can easily be gotten on the web from Graingers.  These things are REALLY easy to make.  I can explain how to modify the sprinkler valve for quick exhaust, too.

For Spud talking, feel free to email me directly.

Edited by spudcrazy
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 2:54am
Dude, I've built ten launchers (including two spud guns) and yours makes mine look like crap!!!

Nice, very nice.

Halo
CDPaintbal.com
One of the oldest running scenario fields in the southeast.
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 4:08am
I took his(Joel's?) measurements and calculated what it would take to get the same pressure as he was getting. I hooked up an adapter so now I can dump a whole 12g into the chamber. The pressure is too high though for some reason. My calculations didn't seem to work. Also, even when the pressure gets to 100psi, it doesn't launch worth crap, maybe 10 feet. My friend thinks my electronic sprinkler setup is too slow. Thoughts?
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 11:20am

I doubt your sprinkler is too slow, if you did the mod right.  If you look at my home page, I just use a ball valve to activate the sprinkler diaphram and I never have a problem.  Even at 40 psi, I can shoot a tennis ball a good 100 feet.  As far as your chamber being to small, just cut it clean and put a coupler on it, to make it bigger.  I'll look into the calculations to see what size chamber a 12gram CO2 cartridge would require to get 100psi.  It could be (even at 100psi) that you just don't have the volume of air to move your projectile.  My pneumatic has twin 3"x36" chambers, so I know I have plenty of volume.  Joel's little CO2 launcher can only shoot a tennis ball about 50 to 60 feet.  It was made for training dogs and for HAM radio operators to set antenna's in trees....

tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:43pm
It says on Joel's site that it'll go 150ft...
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by tpitman tpitman wrote:

It says on Joel's site that it'll go 150ft...

Yeah, I guess I could see that.  I only need about 50psi to shoot my tennis ball that far.  I checked it today.  Sorry, I haven't tried the CO2 cartridge route yet, so I have no experience with them.  Maybe sometime if I get time, I'll try to whip one up.  Good luck and I'll let you know if I get anymore info on using the CO2 catridge.

Edited by spudcrazy
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 12:02pm
Well, I used a little PV=nRT to figure out the right volume for the chamber. I'll be taking care of that tonight. I still have the sprinkler hooked up to 9-volt batteries in order to activate it. I think this is why it isn't working, but I don't know how to do that special modification to get rid of the batteries. Do you think you could give me some instructions? I'm gonna email you also. I'd love to have this thing shooting 150+ft for this weekend because it's still secret from some of my friends.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 12:58pm

For chamber to barrel size, check out http://www.burntlatke.com/ratcalc.html.  As far as the sprinkler mod, it's extremely easy.  Here's a fellow Spudder from No. Virginia.  This will explain it better than I can on this forum.  However, I would buy the proper pipe tap, rather than uses the fitting to tap the hole.  You'll see what I mean...  http://sky.prohosting.com/jchou/launchers/wmvalve.htm

Email me if you have any more questions....

Oh yeah, I was just looking on his page, don't forget to mask off the holes inside the sprinkler, that leads to the solenoid, and then fill the solenoid area up with epoxy.

BTW, Rainbird Sprinkler valves are the easiest to modify.

Edited by spudcrazy
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 7:44pm
You can save yourself some time and money by not using typical ASA adapters. You can go to an autoparts store and buy a metal valve stem (the thing where you put air into car tires) for about $3.

Then you can get a co2 tire inflator that uses 12 gram or 18 gram co2 cartridges from a bicycle shop for $8 or so. They'll have 2 different types, thread in cartridges, or the old style that are used in paintball guns, either one will work, just make sure to get the right cartridge for the right inflator.

And with the standard valve stem, you can also use a bicycle pump to fill your gun. Hope this helps.
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
macgyver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macgyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 12:28am

***DO NOT FORGET TO PUT A RELIEF VALVE IN***

It can save your live.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic