Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion/ Goverment power debate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion/ Goverment power debate.
    Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:23pm
Californians says "Mind your own business to Government"

Voters narrowly defeated Proposition 73, which bars abortions for minors without parental notification. The state Republican Party promoted Schwarzenegger's endorsement of the measure among evangelicals and other religious conservatives in a bid to boost turnout of voters who would back the rest of his agenda.

Also Arnold Schwarzenegger put in $7.2 million of his own money into yesterdays election where everyone of the ballot measures failed to pass. That brings his total personal spending on political endeavors to $25 million since he ran for governor in the 2003 recall race.

I wish I had 25 million to just throw away.

Edited by Hades

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:27pm
Must be nice to live in a state full of half intelligent people. Ohio just milfed our chances of cleaning up the idiocy and corruption in the Taft regime for a while. I seriously don't know how 2-5 could have failed that bad. Whatever, I'm starting to believe this state deserves everything it gets. I just wish we didn't have so many electorial votes.

Edited by .Ryan

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:36pm
Californians shouldn't brag too much, after they defeated the proposal for rational Congressional districts...
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:41pm
I guess "rational" is a matter of personal opinion.

I was happy with that measure not passing as well.

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:45pm

I will admit that my specific information is limited here behind the cheese curtain, but it strikes me that anything we can do to take the districting duties away from the self-same people who are being elected in those districts is a good idea.  Witness DeLay's recent Texas gerrymander.

Why did you (and obviously most Calis) oppose this measure?

newport View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested. inapproproate links take 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:47pm
I wanted 74 to pass

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:53pm

Florida voted on the abortion thing last elections, and it passed.

I am not sure what my opinion on that one is yet....

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:57pm
I choose to support whatever is trendy*. I never lose that way, since im part of the majority, and the majority always wins!

*except not.
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:00pm
The big beefs with Prop 77 was that basically every time the political party changed hands the districts would most likely be redrawn to favor the party in power. The citizens would not have a chance to dispute the redrawn lines before they went into effect.

To me, it would be like the President restacking the Supreme Court every time the party incharge changed hands to favor their political doings.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

The big beefs with Prop 77 was that basically every time the political party changed hands the districts would most likely be redrawn to favor the party in power. The citizens would not have a chance to dispute the redrawn lines before they went into effect.

To me, it would be like the President restacking the Supreme Court every time the party incharge changed hands to favor their political doings.

Sounds alot like good ol' fashion gerrymandering....

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:08pm

Hmm.  I thought the idea was to have an impartial panel evaluate the districts, specifically to remove the process from the politicians. 

Because the way it is now in most states, whichever party has the majority whenever it is time for a redrawing (or in the case of Texas, when they decide to redraw for kicks and giggles) takes full advantage of their power and redraws for their own benefit (Texas again being the most recent obnoxious example).

How would the panel be controlled by the political parties?  What am I missing?

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:30pm
The panel consists of 3 retired judges that are hand picked my the politians [there wasnt a provision for the panel to be impartial that I was aware of]and while they are not directly obligated to redraw the lines to the satisfaction of the polititians that picked them, it is feared they will. Just like the Electors of the Electoral college are not bound by any laws to vote for the party they represent's canadate, they in the past have almost or have entirely voted party lines.

Also the panel of 3 judges picked to redistrict the state in theory could all be picked from the same area and screw over the other areas of the state.

Also redistricting in California is not due for another 5 years and it is supsicious that there is a need to do so other than to favor it in the opposite parties behalf.

Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:35pm
Why should the parents know that their daughter is having sex?

saepe fidelis
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 4:04pm

Hmm.  Yeah, Hades, that doesn's sound so hot either.  There must be a better way.

I wonder what they do in other countries...

TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 4:38pm
i dont think Conan the Barbarian is doing that badly
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
pb125 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 5:44pm
Heh, this is the one my mom got all mad at my dad about.

She was happy with the results though.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 8:12pm

Originally posted by Jim Paint Jim Paint wrote:

IF you had a daughter who was lets say 14, would you want to know if she was pregnant.

darkSIDEofMOON View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Language/Disrespect 9/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkSIDEofMOON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 8:37pm

Originally posted by Jim Paint Jim Paint wrote:

are you serious? 

i believe that women have the right to choose what is best for them, which means they can choose abortion.  but i do not think it is the only way.  but a 14year old should have to tell her parents that she messed up and now is pregnant.  but she should have the final say in if she wants to keep or abort the baby.  NOT EVER the parents choice.

now onto the real thing, i would want to know if my child is having sex.  from everything i have learned everyone needs to talk to their children very early in age (as young as they start asking questions) about what sex is.  and if you think that withholding information is the best way (aka absitance only programs) or work well, look at the statistics and information on those.  THEY DO NOT WORK.  but just like drug information, if you give young people information they will be less likely to ever try a drug.  with sex they will 1)  experiance sex later in life 2)  enjoy their sexual experiance more 3)  be more comfortable with talking about sex and 4)  they will be more likely to USE protection.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 8:38pm

I disagree.

Abortion = Murder

amishman89 View Drop Down
Wow if I’d have a TITLE it woud be great

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amishman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 9:02pm

ABORTION IS HOMOCIDE!!    How can you say a 14 year old child has the right to decide about abortion. She cant even drive yet  alone decide if she wants to abort a innocent baby! Abortion now is just a to erase a mistake,"oh were having a bay lets abort it thats the easy thing to do!" Just like divorce," oh were arguing lets get a divorce''(there are exceptions to the divorce thing) Why these kids are having premarital sex is... well I dont know. The point is parents should know and abortion should be outlawed. This is my beliefs and I stand by them.

Only Hugh can prevent florist friars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic