Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion/ Goverment power debate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 9:49am
Ok, I can't stay out of it anymore.

Here's my opinion, and there is no changing it.

Abortion should only be allowed in 2 cases.
One- The girl was raped.
Two- The baby would be born with some sort of disease (Down Syndrome, etc)or it threatens the mother

BUT if the girl gets preg. from consentual sex, then it's her fault.

If you're old enough to decide to have sex, you're old enough to live with the consenquences.

"But the condom broke" "But the pills didn't work"

So what, you still chose to do it, and you chose to accept the risk of doing it. End of story.

(Thanks Impulse, forgot about that part. yes if it would have some sort of detrimental health defect for the mother too.)

Edited by Linus

impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 10:02am
What if the birth threatens the life of the mother?
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 10:07am

Originally posted by impulse! impulse! wrote:

What if the birth threatens the life of the mother?
it doesnt matter its all about the lady makin the choice, if she'd rather die then get an abortion thats her choice if she'd rather get an abortion and try again thats her choice.

isnt there some kinda law or something that Bush Sr. started, then Clinton vetoed it, then Bush Jr. brought it back? it was something like "the new mexico [something]"

Edited by cadet_sergeant
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 10:48am

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

One- The girl was raped.
Two- The baby would be born with some sort of disease (Down Syndrome, etc)or it threatens the mother

So this isn't about the life of the child - it's all about the actions of the mother?

aGUYnamedLARRY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aGUYnamedLARRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by aGUYnamedLARRY aGUYnamedLARRY wrote:

Out of the hundreds  and literaly  hundreds of children in our community there is only 1 retarted child,  and only one died of some freak disease.  
The kid died of some freak disease cause this old momma was stupid enough to try and have a kid at age 48.

She "tried" to have a kid at 48?  By your rules, that means "she was stupid enough to have sex at age 48".  God forbid.

But, more to the point - I see you completely and thoroghly missed the point of my example.  gg

Quote And what was all that crap about going around killing people...?

Again missing the point.  Read the past few posts, and maybe it will make more sense.

But - more importantly:  Do you feel that cats have the same right to life as humans?

Catholics are encouraged to have sex,  they don't have TRY  and have kids everytime they want some action (lol)
Just cause the church doesn't want people having sex BEFORE marriage doesn't mean they don't want people having sex at all.

I wasn't saying that it was stupid of her to have sex,  I was saying that trying to bear a child when  you're that old is taking it a little bit to far.  As far as I know this "old momma"  still gets it on everynight.
Personaly,  I'd rather not think of old people.... *pukes*

I know several old catholic couples that are still lovin  at 65- 73 years of age.    *pukes again*
And the church never said that was bad.

People take the teachings of the catholic church and stretch the truth.  Then they get people like you who think that the church trys to stop everybody from having sex. 
They just don't want it before marriage is all.

Fine,  I'll go back and read up these posts that you said if I read them they'll make more sense.
Then I'll find something better to do.

In a world where everyone has gone mad, only the lunatic is truly sane.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 11:32am

Originally posted by aGUYnamedLARRY aGUYnamedLARRY wrote:

Catholics are encouraged to have sex,  they don't have TRY  and have kids everytime they want some action (lol).

I wasn't saying that it was stupid of her to have sex,  I was saying that trying to bear a child when  you're that old is taking it a little bit to far. 

Having sex = "trying"

At least if you are a practicing Roman Catholic, as the church prohibits the use of birth control.  And, judging by your demographic summary, so does your local community.

That was my point:  If you condemn birth control, condemn abortion, and condemn people for having children in their 40s, then you are pretty much cutting off sex (or limiting the nature thereof) for most people most of the time.

You still haven't told me how you feel about cats.

Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 11:36am

One- The girl was raped.

If you're old enough to decide to have sex, you're old enough to live with the consenquences.

So what, you still chose to do it, and you chose to accept the risk of doing it. End of story.

(Thanks Impulse, forgot about that part. yes if it would have some sort of detrimental health defect for the mother too.)
haha, you're like 16, and there's no changing your opinion?

If your opinions on major issues don't change from the time you are 16 years old, you have failed to grow up.
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 12:12pm

One- The girl was raped.

i thought we established eirlier that the mental copasity of young teens was limited to the present and not so much the future, meaning that they think about the action there doing rather than "if i do this i might be a dad/mother".

now that i've been threw court for blood testing my opinion has changed on the subject of abortion. when i was 15 my girlfriend was with child, it tore me apart, i became quite ill and lost nearly 20 pounds form throwing up. it made me grow up quick. she had the baby on my 16th birthday 7-10-04 at 11pm, i got a call around 3am with her telling me she had a healthy little girl, i was half asleep but i remember that conversation. the next morning i woke up and went to the hospital, i held that child for nearly 4 hours. well time passed and we ended up in court, i had to take a 3 hour class at a college about parenting and crap. anyways i took a blood test, waited 7 and a half weeks, i remember where i was the day my mom called me and told me the news from the lawer, i was not the father, i was in D.C. standing in line to buy a t-shirt, i thought i may have wet myself, i was so excited. since then my opinion on abortion has changed i also have not been sexualy active in over 25 months. just my story for the day.

i used to think just the way you do linus, guess that experiance changed my opinion on that, life does things like that....

Edited by cadet_sergeant
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 4:08pm

One- The girl was raped.

So it's some sort of punishment for doing a natural thing?

It's every womans right to have or not to have a child and thats her decision, not the goverments.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 4:22pm

Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

So it's some sort of punishment for doing a natural thing?

That's the word I was looking for - "punishment".  There is a very definite sense from some pro-lifers that bearing a child to term is somehow "punishment" for some perceived behavior.  On the other hand, if you are a good person, we will make the problem go away.

djrock View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Filter Dodge 01/13/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 4:52pm

I am surprised so many people are pro-choice. I could post some 500 reason to support my side but I won't.

This should be a poll. To see how the numbers really add up.

It's been changed jackass.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 4:54pm

Originally posted by djrock djrock wrote:

I could post some 500 reason to support my side

Please, post some of these reasons.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 4:58pm

This should be a poll. To see how the numbers really add up.

There was a poll - mods closed it.  Not that internet polls mean anything anyway...

djrock View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Filter Dodge 01/13/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:00pm
It would just be a way to see the correct how many people support pro-life. It wouldn't be a poll to see which is right, just to see some numbers.

It's been changed jackass.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:00pm
If your paying for it you should know about it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:02pm

It would just be a way to see the correct how many people support pro-life. It wouldn't be a poll to see which is right, just to see some numbers.

That's what I meant - internet polls are not a meaningful measure of opinions.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:02pm

We are on a forum of:

• A company that makes paintball firearms, so the users of said products are more inclined to slide to the right anyway
  • The average age of a forumer is around 14-15, I would guess, so the world knowledge of most of them is what their parents or preacher tell them is "right"

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

It's every womans right to have or not to have a child and thats her decision, not the goverments.
Ok, explain to me the diff. between her decision to having/not having a baby and committing/not committing suicide? Both keep/take a life out of the world.

I never said I was 100% pro-choice. I put in the occasions that there should be abortion, but beyond that i disagree.

Zesty-17- Yes, there is the possibility that in general, my ideas will change over time, but not this.

Cadet- 'we' may have established that, but my opinion stands. If you think you're old enough for sex, then you should be old enough for the consenquences.

Saying thats wrong is like saying a kid is ready to drive but shouldn't have to abide by the consenquences if he runs someone over and kills them.

Edited by Linus

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:57pm
And somebody please explain to me how having an abortion is not accepting the consequences...  It's an affirmative decision, followed by an affirmative action.  Sounds a lot like accepting the consequences.  Perhaps more so than just waiting around for the baby to show up.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 5:58pm
Clark, this 'accepting the consenquences' is as bad as getting a slap on the wrist if you steal something. Except instead of more physical, its more mental.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic