Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An Alternative for Grading Markers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Alternative for Grading Markers
    Posted: 12 December 2005 at 7:28pm
In one recent post, a person wanted to know what defines the "high" and "low" ends of the paintball marker performance spectrum. I have started this post to hopefully come up with some better way to objectively grade markers. I will offer what will intially be a basic brainstorm of measurable characteristics that I have found player emphasize when looking for a marker. These factors are for an overall evaluation. My intention is making this kind of grading applicable for any marker on the market.

I stress that this is a work in progress and suggestions on how I should edit it are welcome.

So, with that, here's my thoughts/brainstorm:

Each topic will have sub-categories to assure a comprehensive, yet relatively simple assessment of a marker. All values from all sub-categories will be added for each topic and each topic will be added together for the overall gun performance value. The higher the value, the higher classed the marker will be. Once a form for evaluation has been decided on I will try to round up some various markers to discover the numerical ranges that will classify each marker appropriately.

Basic Specs:
Balls-per-Second (BP): (1 point for every ball per second).

Maintenance time: (-1 point for every 15 seconds)

Durability: Weather Conditions: rain, snow, cold and freezing, warm and hot, clear, (1 point for reported success in each or 3.5 points for successful testing in near perfect weather (the average): approximately 65-75 degrees F). (However, in the event that a review cannot be done in either near perfect or all weather considitions, the median point valve will be used (points for every successfully tested weather condition divided by 2) to determine this score.

Chop Rate: (EDITED 12/13/05)(tested with 1 hopper-full per season and then finding the average rate), fired for all temperature ranges (freezing, cold, warm, and hot) or median temperature (near perfect temperature as specified in Durability with only one hopper full required) 1 point per chop. (See Durability for exceptions).

The chop rate can also be measured by taking the results for a given day for its full range (Starting at 1 pbs and continuing to the max by 2bps increments using 20-40 paintballs for each firing rate). The average rate (which will become the final value) will be the total chops from the whole bps spectrum minus the the deviation value derived from Durability (3.5-successful weather conditions tested) and all divided by each bps rate tested. (I'll try to show an equation later to help clarify that explanation).

Reliability: (EDITED 12/13/05) fps and operating pressure variation (measured by the negative average absolute value of the fps variation + the negative average absolute value of the operating pressure variation or OPV).

Upgrade Variability: The ease and flexibility for marker tinkering and customization. (Measured by the number of MAINSTREAM upgrades available, 1 point for each upgrade.)

Max Specs: Including all and any alterations, the highest possible specs (see category one). The setup used to judge this value must be specified in the review with exactly what parts and/or alterations were added to obtain the highest gun potential. The setup, however, must be designed to maximize the marker for ALL possible paintball situations.

Flexibility:
The number of usable air sources: (1 point for each)

The ability to see clearly down the top of the gun (no obstructions): (1 point)

The ability of the marker to be used with the left or right hand: (1 point for each successfully used side)

Number of paints that can be used reliably:
a. Without upgrades, one for each type and bore
b. With all possible upgrades, one for each type and bore size

Weight: ( -1 point times the weight value in ounces)

Accuracy: Number of successful hits on a target of specified distance. A target of 2 by 2 feet in area at 75 feet away (½ the range of a typical marker) will be used using 50 paintballs to assure accurate results (1 point for every successful hit)

Edited by Mr. Spiffy
Missing: 2nd star and 960+ posts to my name.
-Another victim of the system.
Mr. Spiffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 1:38pm
It's unfortunant, but I think I'll have to BUMP this myself .
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 2:03pm
My suggestions:

Chop rate: Designate the ROF the guns are to be tested at (say 8, 12, 16,...etc.) so that guns of all speeds are covered and the test will not only show the amount of ball breaks but the amount at each speed which is also important.

Reliability: This should probably be renamed to consistency really but that's not all that important right now. I think you should just subtract the absolute values of the velocity and pressure fluctuation from the total. That way, the higher the change between shots in velocity/pressure, the lower the rating gets.

That's all for now, maybe i'll stop by later and throw in a few more. The idea of a standard rating is pretty useful though, it'll make comparisons much easier and more fair.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
skruge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skruge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 2:51pm
the "spiffy" system. inspired by my original thread (i think). i like it. hey, maybe  you should start calculating some marker grades so it could start catching on. 
Hail to all the nazis on this board. facism lives on! (sarcasm if you cant tell)

nobody likes a
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 3:04pm
i dont think ROF should play a role. alot of pumps can be considered high end.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Mr. Spiffy Mr. Spiffy wrote:

I

Chop Rate: (at 4 hopper fulls so the marker is tested for each season), fired for all temperature ranges or median temperature (near perfect temperature as specified in Durability with only one hopper full required) 1 point per chop.

The ability to use the gun's sights for aiming: (1 point)

Accuracy: Number of successful hits on a target of specified distance. A target of 2 by 2 feet in area at 75 feet away (½ the range of a typical marker) will be used using 50 paintballs to assure accurate results (1 point for every successful hit)

Ok,Here are my problems with the system.

Maintinance Time: what are we maintianing?
Are we field stripping the marker?

Sights: Most markers dont have sights for a reason, they are not useful. Strike that...

Chop Rate: This is not determined by the Marker, but by the hopper. Strike that...

Paint: What paint can be used with a marker, is not determined by the marker itself, but by the barrel. This would be an Unfair test to measure a marker by its barrel.

Accuracy: Accuracy is determined largely by the paint to bore match of your barrel. It is not a factor in marker itself. Strike That.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Spiffy Mr. Spiffy wrote:

I

Chop Rate: (at 4 hopper fulls so the marker is tested for each season), fired for all temperature ranges or median temperature (near perfect temperature as specified in Durability with only one hopper full required) 1 point per chop.

The ability to use the gun's sights for aiming: (1 point)

Ok,Here are my problems with the system.Maintinance Time: what are we maintianing?Are we field stripping the marker?Sights: Most markers dont have sights for a reason, they are not useful. Strike that...Chop Rate: This is not determined by the Marker, but by the hopper. Strike that...Paint: What paint can be used with a marker, is not determined by the marker itself, but by the barrel. This would be an Unfair test to measure a marker by its barrel.Accuracy: Accuracy is determined largely by the paint to bore match of your barrel. It is not a factor in marker itself. Strike That.

Wow, thanks for all the replies... good stuff. And, yes skruge, this is based off your question. (See where good questions can lead...?)

As for some of the other concerns posted, here's why I choose those things as part of the marker assessment:

Rate of fire is not only an integral part of the marker's function, but many players depend on many different styles of shooting. This represents the firepower capable from the marker itself. A high rate fire, while arguably detrimental in certain situations on the field, can also be put to use to good use against large numbers and fire support. ROF is included to show sheer performance of the inner-workings in action. In fact, I could infer that pumps will have a lower rate of fire (and therefore a lower ROF score) because the gun's cycling is limited by the player's ability-which will always be slower than what machines can do. However, this is only one fraction of the functions of the marker being taken into account and I'm sure a good pump will score more points in other areas.

I've defined Maintenance as the time it takes to take the marker down for basic upkeep (oiling, cleaning, etc.). This is not including time for installation for upgrades or for serious repair.

Sights are simply the metal piece on the marker that allow you to aim. I do not want to confuse sights with scopes. I consider scopes an upgrade and not an integral part of the marker.

As for chops, I agree a good hopper is part of the solution, but the marker's internals can also be a cause and the upgrades are designed to help compensate for the guns natural feeding abilities. How the marker permits, loads, fires, and coordinates all these functions around a single paintball are being taken into consideration under this point.

Types of paint are considered under the same philosophy as the chops. Even though upgrades improve marker function, these upgrades are working in coordination with the other internals of the marker therefore make grading the marker's flexibility with types of paint important. I also want to stress that this ability will probably be measured with the factory and upgraded barrels to ensure the marker itself is in no way affecting the paint types it can use.

Many have argued that accuracy is not only due to the barrel but also to reasons explained above in paint type and chops. How the valve fires with the bolt will affect how the air comes in contact with the ball and therefore affect the maximum possible accuracy from a paintball. Accuracy is taking into account how the gun hands temperature changes and pressure fluctuations within the marker.

I hope that at least makes clear the reasons behind those choosen topics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 2:47pm
BUMP!
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 4:35pm
Whats wrong with high and low end.

Old way.

NEWB: Hey Im thinking of buying a walmart spyder, but Im not sure if its good or not.
US: Well is a low end marker, ect

so on and so forth.

Your new way.

NEWB: ditto.
US: Well is scored a 22 on the spiffy meter.
NEWB: Spiffy meter?
US: long and tedious explination of the new system.
OTHER NEWB: Miss quotes the explination.
US: No you stupid newb head, its this different verson of the same explination with pictures.
NEWB: Oh....leaves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Whats wrong with high and low end.

Old way.

NEWB: Hey Im thinking of buying a walmart spyder, but Im not sure if its good or not.
US: Well is a low end marker, ect

so on and so forth.

Your new way.

NEWB: ditto.
US: Well is scored a 22 on the spiffy meter.
NEWB: Spiffy meter?
US: long and tedious explination of the new system.
OTHER NEWB: Miss quotes the explination.
US: No you stupid newb head, its this different verson of the same explination with pictures.
NEWB: Oh....leaves.

Now, obviously, you're not thinking about what the customers will see from this rating. High and low end as it stands is well... not standard. Its all opinion. What you call high and low end could be very very different from my own.

This forumla will produce a simple range of numbers. If the marker you choose as a number towards the higher end of the range, then its a higher end marker. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

This really isn't all that complex. I'm being technical for the sake of being thorough. All they'll see is a number to the marker and then compare that number with a bunch of set ranges to know the real performance of that marker. I know some people find spyders purchased in a Wal-Mart as a higher end marker difficult to comprehend (they might have saved $100s!!! ), but price is not a function of marker performance. At least, this is a system that will help to determine whether price does produce performance. I prefer objective to subjective when I spend $300 plus on the "hottest equipment in town." Too much money at stake with this stuff.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 9:16pm
my matrix is in trouble... weight... and maitenance... there's a lot of orings in that sucker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 9:24pm
Hehe... maybe that'll send the hint .
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 12:41pm
Sorry Spiff, you put entirely too much thought into this.  It's a good diea, but just not practical.

I applaud you on your efforts, though.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
skruge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skruge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 1:17pm
^^^ i think it is.
Hail to all the nazis on this board. facism lives on! (sarcasm if you cant tell)

nobody likes a
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 1:42pm
1 point for being able to use the guns sights?????

milsim junky...

most guns don;t even have sights anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

1 point for being able to use the guns sights?????

milsim junky...

most guns don;t even have sights anymore.

I always thought that being able to see down the length of the gun was a valuable thing. That's all that's tring to measure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2005 at 1:28pm
I guess its my job to BUMP...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2005 at 1:29pm
Oops... tried to edit my first post and instead got it quoted. Oh how clever... .

Edited by Mr. Spiffy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic