Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Flatline Customization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0dam0ng1n53ct5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Flatline Customization
    Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:48pm
Ok anyone who has an A-5 flatline check this out:

Take off the very front end cap by removing the socket head screw.
Look closely at it. The threaded hole that housed that screw goes the whole way to the barrel (with a gap in the middle), correct? (It does on mine.)

Here's my question: If you were to bore a hole thru the lower portion of the curved flatline barrel, to line up with that hole through the end cap, then theoretically, that would allow the escape of gas from the barrel behind the ball just before the ball is released from the front of the barrel, and allow it to fill the shroud itself. (That is the basic principle of a silencer.) Would this work to reduce some of the "hand cannon" effects of the monstrously loud A-5, and more importantly, will it ruin my $120 barrel?

If anyone has ever done this, knows anything about it, or can test this theory, I would be greatly appreciative.

Jack

P.S. I'm aware silencers are illegal without an FFL... but bear with me, for information's sake.

Edited by g0dam0ng1n53ct5 - 24 March 2006 at 9:55pm
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:57pm
Just be safe and leave it alone, If your worried about it being loud, just shoot a 2-3 burst really fast, they probly wont figure out where it came from.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 10:21pm
yeah, seperating your shots is your best bet.  it's hard to pick where shots come from with goggles on when you arn't expecting them.  and loudness will usually just scare them.  you can try it though.
X
the flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2006 at 9:23pm
goo ahead and be my guest if you try it tell me how it turned out

perhaps the greatest movie ever
g0dam0ng1n53ct5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0dam0ng1n53ct5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 12:16am
I think I'm going to because I figure if it gets messed up I'll have someone patch the hole with a weld. Anybody know anything about the legality of it?
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
IronFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 12:38am
I don't think drilling holes through your barrel is what the designers at Tippmann intended...
-Tippmann A-5
-2x Red Dot
-HK36 Mag Kit
-TAC CAP hopper
-Response Trigger
-Flatline Barrel
-Adjustable Car. Stock

ultmate98 View Drop Down
Fear the THUMB!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultmate98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by IronFox IronFox wrote:

I don't think drilling holes through your barrel is what the designers at Tippmann intended...

there is alot that people do to a tippmann that wasnt intended

Warning: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning
      Christ Krew
kevinthegreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinthegreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 8:10pm
give it a shot, I'd think to help muffle the shots after that you could fill the shroud with steel wool or foam of some sort.
Tippmann A-5
Polished internals
4.2 inch rifled barrel
Destroyed OD paintjob
Love
darkmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:33am
one time when i was high on crack i thought drilling holes in a barrel was a good idea. If you do it, it will turn your marker into a paint sprayer then you should send it back to tippmann and say that you dont know why it is not working. that would be funny!
Dopa mi la tempesta
(After me, The storm)
Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:25pm
Well i must say do it because its so stupid and also not it wouldnt silence it youd jsut hear a woosh of air if anything because silencers are packed with insaltion like crap and that mixs making it less noisy but i really want you to do this itd be funny to see what happens.
UV Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UV Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2006 at 8:56pm
You can do it legally.  Nobody could ever say a ported and shrouded flatline barrel could be used as a firearm silencer.  Curved barrels and bullets just don't work well together.  However, I don't think one hole would significantly reduce the noise.  I think what is needed is at least two rows of holes for at least 6" inches to reduce the noise.  However, I'm curious what the impact of uneven venting would do to a backspinning ball.
M98C- W/QwkStrpCut

Comp Air & Palmer Fatty Stab

Gas-Thru Stock

Lapco Sight Rail W/ADCO 30MM EDOT

Qloader W/ CMS

Freak SS W/Stif-Tip * Flatline * Armson Stealth
dark assassin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dark assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2006 at 9:17pm
i packed my flatline with sponges.....the only thing it did was get really heavy when it rained
It's like a new pair o underwear, at first it's constrictive, but then it becomes a part of you."

-Garth
Nogrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 11:29am
In order for your idea to work you would have to drill about a hundred holes the size of that screw in the flatline barrel (of course, ruining the barrel and it's properties). Most true silencers have some sort of baffled material surrounding the relief ports. These baffles are equally spaced and ported. The barrel shroud is also ported, most effectively allowing gas relief at the rear of the barrel. In a nutshell, all your idea would do is ruin your flatline.
Need a paintjob? I'm your man!
BigRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 1:34pm
not enough air would escape.  it would be pointless.
98 Custom - CP 12" barrel - Delrin Starfire bolt - Double Trig. - Drop Forward - Rocket Cock II - FieldStrip Thumbscrew Kit - Red Dot Elec. Pistol Scope - Butt Plate & combat strap w/ rear swivel
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 11:22pm
You would really have to sand the hole, when you drill a hole you always get that little edge that sticks out and can be somewhat sharp, causing breaking balls and lots of splatter. It would take some creativeness to sand inside a flatline barrel lol.
duck_tape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck_tape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:36am
Originally posted by dark assassin dark assassin wrote:

i packed my flatline with sponges.....the only thing it did was get really heavy when it rained

ROFL

I hope you took them out
a dremel is kinda like a low-powered handheld drill.. they are the base of all humanity and civilization...
      -Styro Folme

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic