Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teflon Tape, Loc-Tite, or Threadlock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Strike 3 and hes outta here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevoXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teflon Tape, Loc-Tite, or Threadlock?
    Posted: 10 August 2006 at 12:53am
I am installing an expansion chamber onto my A-5 later on today, so I was wondering what the best thing is to use on the threads. Alot of guns like Piranha's use Teflon Tape with no problem.. however is Loc-Tite or Thread-Lock better?
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 12:54am
Teflon.
RevoXT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevoXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 1:32am
Really? So the cheaper solution is the best? Excellent thanks!
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 2:19am

Originally posted by RevoXT RevoXT wrote:

I am installing an expansion chamber onto my A-5 later on today, so I was wondering what the best thing is to use on the threads. Alot of guns like Piranha's use Teflon Tape with no problem.. however is Loc-Tite or Thread-Lock better?

First, Loc Tite is a thread locking product. Permatex makes a similar product. Thread lockers are intended to prevent loosening of screws, nuts and bolts from vibration. The Loc Tite name is used generically most of the time. Thread-Locker, a brand name, is a product with which I am not familiar.

Some people claim that Loc Tite type products are not intended to seal fittings in pressure systems. Strictly speaking Teflon tape is also not intended as a sealant. It is a lubricant that allows NPT type pipe fittings to be tightened far enough to seal.  A side benefit of both Loc Tite and Teflon is that they do a very good job of sealing air and CO2 pressure in marker fittings.

Teflon is relative easy to use and if you apply it to the threads about one thread back from the end of the fitting it should cause no problems. See this Marker Trouble? Read Maintenance Archive about the 15th or 16th post on disassembling the power valve. In that post I cover a possible problem with Teflon.

I favor the gel style Loc Tite type products. I cover that also in the link above. I like the gel Permatex because it is easy to apply and seals immediately so you may use the marker as soon as it is assembled. The blue color is a medium strength material so you can remove treated fittings with standard tools. You can also make minor adjustments in the fittings and this gel sealant/thread lock material retains the seal.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 10 August 2006 at 2:23am
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 6:12am

On occasion , I've had problems sealing the hose to the power valve (CVX valve) because of thread irregularities (they looked fine ,but just would not seal) . I used Loctite 242 , medium strength blue , on the male threads of the hose fitting and applied teflon tape as Bruce outlined above , over the loctite and carefully applied a very small amount of 242 on top of the tape to seal any voids in between the valve body and hose fitting . I dont recommend this as a first attempt procedure for sealing , normally teflon tape applied as Bruce A Frank suggested will work 95 % of the time or more .

Loc-Tite Corp. and Permatex are sister companys , I'm not sure who owns who and it doesnt really matter but I've seen most of their produts marketed under both name labels .

Loc-tite used to make a thread sealant for pipe fittings , #515 , it had the properties of both teflon pipe dope , and the thread lockers . I havent run across that product for quite a while .

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

On occasion , I've had problems sealing the hose to the power valve (CVX valve) because of thread irregularities (they looked fine ,but just would not seal) . I used Loctite 242 , medium strength blue , on the male threads of the hose fitting and applied teflon tape as Bruce outlined above , over the loctite and carefully applied a very small amount of 242 on top of the tape to seal any voids in between the valve body and hose fitting . I dont recommend this as a first attempt procedure for sealing , normally teflon tape applied as Bruce A Frank suggested will work 95 % of the time or more .

Loc-Tite Corp. and Permatex are sister companys , I'm not sure who owns who and it doesnt really matter but I've seen most of their produts marketed under both name labels .

Loc-tite used to make a thread sealant for pipe fittings , #515 , it had the properties of both teflon pipe dope , and the thread lockers . I havent run across that product for quite a while .

If you are remembering that number correctly, 515 is still around. It is designated as a flange sealing form-in-place anaerobic curing flexible product. I didn't see anything in the literature about using it on NPT threads...but that does not mean it wouldn't work well. I have adapted many things over the years that were intended for one type of application, and I used it for another very different purpose.

Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 4:45pm
We use a white thread sealant compound made by permatex at the fire dept.
It is what I use for all my paintball needs as well.
Not sure what the "number" is but it is rated for 15,000psi and can be used immediately after application.
I had a bad experience with teflon tape...a small piece of teflon broke loose and ended up in my response trigger...starving it for air. Talk about frustrating and being a pain to troubleshoot.
I have not used teflon tape on a paintball gun since.

Edited by Ken Majors - 10 August 2006 at 4:45pm
RLTW
RevoXT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevoXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2006 at 2:53pm
Alrighty then... lots of information...I guess I'll stick with Teflon since Bruce said it will work 95% or almost all the time. I know Piranha's, Spyders, and Tippmann's have Teflon tape from the factory on the line-fittings so I guess I'll use what they use. Thanks everyone for all the information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic