Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob’s A-5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noob’s A-5
    Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:27pm

Hey all,

This is my first post and I'm a paintball noob.  I've been wanting to give it a try for years but never found the time and money.  Well, I'm finally heading out next weekend and, after a load of research, picked up an A-5.  I've been slowly adding to it over the past few weeks and, though it's not done yet, I think it'll do for my first time out.

Front View

Rear View

The TAC-CAP is for looks only.  I can't imagine a situation that you'd want such a small hopper for, but as I said, I am a noob.  The stock is the next purchase, then a see-thru rail.  Thoughts?

"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Thatoneguy123 View Drop Down
...Who?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatoneguy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:32pm
Well, atleast its better than mine :D
netramakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:34pm

Originally posted by Thatoneguy123 Thatoneguy123 wrote:

Well, atleast its better than mine :D

But your avatar rocks!  LOL...that's hilarious!

pythonman56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pythonman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:46pm
Fire power upgrades?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:59pm

Originally posted by pythonman56 pythonman56 wrote:

Fire power upgrades?

Meaning, like the trigger/grip (remember, me=noob)?  I'm sure I'll eventually get an e-grip, just because it's my only marker and I want to see what full auto feels like, but I wanted to try semi-auto for a while (before I get spoiled), so figured I'd save the $100 for something else for now.  What would you recommend for fire power upgrades?

Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 12:42am
Get an E-grip, you can switch the modes you fire in, from semi, full, three to six round burst (I think...).  If you're new though, I'd just stick with what you have, and don't upgrade anymore, firgure out what you like and dislike about your gun.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Babagunush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babagunush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 12:56am
It's a pretty nice gun. That should probly be good for a while, I have been paintballing for almost a year and all I upgraded was my barrel lol.
Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:16am
^^^Good choice.  People get a little overkill with their upgrades, and think they should upgrade EVERYTHING on their gun.  Then later on, they're not happy with it, and sell it, and buy a little higher up gun, maybe like an Ion.  Later they try to trade it for another higher up gun, and they do, eventually they trade that gun and most of their other stuff for a pump gun, and be like "lol why did I do that".
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 8:53am

So far so good. Look into a folding stock and get rid of your front grip. Then look into a see-thru riser and red dot. Put a remote line on it and you'll have yourself a nice milsim gun.

As for fire power upgrades, hold off. Play with semi for awhile. You may find you dont need the extra firepower.

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 10:14am
i am a little concerned that you are starting with a flatline. make sure you bring your stock barrel when you play, just in case.
Eat The Brisket

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by sinisterNorth sinisterNorth wrote:

So far so good. Look into a folding stock and get rid of your front grip. Then look into a see-thru riser and red dot. Put a remote line on it and you'll have yourself a nice milsim gun.

I was originally thinking of a folding stock, but I'm leaning towards the MP5 slider.  Less bulk, but just as attractive, if not more IMHO.

Hey, I like the front grip!  Well, maybe I should say, I haven't found anything I like better.  All of the other grips I've seen are uglier, except maybe for that hand guard-style one, but the A-5 looks naked without the grip.

I love the idea of the see-thru riser because I want to use as much of the native features of the marker as I can, as long as they're useful.  (For example, I looked into the QLoader, but it bypasses the Cyclone, so I'll bypass it.)  And I figure, if I'm going to use the native sight, why bother with the red dot?  I would like a laser, though (if for nothing else but to intimidate my buddies), which I could mount on top of the riser and, because they're small, it wouldn't raise the profile much (if at all, considering the hopper).  I'd prefer a barrel-mounted laser, but I favor the SMG-style shroud over rails and nothing I've found will fit a Flatline (could someone please make a bracket that fits betwen the Flatline and the marker?).

I've got a remote line coming in too, because I think I'll prefer it to on-the-gun, but I didn't think to get one with a slide check, so I may end up having to buy another.

Originally posted by sinisterNorth sinisterNorth wrote:

As for fire power upgrades, hold off. Play with semi for awhile. You may find you dont need the extra firepower.

Sounds like solid advice; thanks.

a5Tpp789 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

in the closet MILSIMer...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a5Tpp789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:18pm
keep it as is DONT go milsim once you spend 500 dollars on milsim then its heavy as hell and you would want a new marker by then

Edited by a5Tpp789 - 24 August 2006 at 1:19pm
if you put 500 dollars into an A5 it is still an A5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

i am a little concerned that you are starting with a flatline. make sure you bring your stock barrel when you play, just in case.

What do you mean, exactly?  Do they not allow the Flatline at some fields?  I got the quick-change kit so that I can pull it off quickly if I break a ball in it and it really works well (though I haven't used it in the field yet).  I could probably get the barrel off in about 15 seconds (hey, that didn't sound good).

As an aside, I was a little worried when I first got the Flatline, as the accuracy was bad, but after adjusting it left to right of the sight and finding the right size ball, now it's dead on (at least up to 50'; haven't been able to target practice beyond that range yet with the Flatline installed).  Monsters and Big Balls work awesome and are cheap, though I will have to find a comparably-sized ball that fields will carry.  If anyone has suggestions, feel free.  (Or should I move that conversation elsewhere?)

blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:27pm
hmm i would play with it before you upgrade anymore...looks nice though...

pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:43pm
my worry was that your adjusting time would cut into your play time, thats all. sounds like you have it under control though.
Eat The Brisket

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

my worry was that your adjusting time would cut into your play time, thats all. sounds like you have it under control though.

Gotcha.  Thank you for the heads up and to everyone else for their opinions and info.

Now I can't wait to plug somebody (though I'll probably get slaughtered for awhile)!

pbdude985 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbdude985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 4:41pm
not bad looks good so far, dont upgrade so much that you dont have time to play

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by pbdude985 pbdude985 wrote:

not bad looks good so far, dont upgrade so much that you dont have time to play

LOL; wise words.  Although, I might adjust it to say, "don't upgrade so much that you can't afford to play"!  I'm just all anal about having the right equipment to begin with, no matter what the subject.

Edited by netramakin - 24 August 2006 at 5:16pm

bravecoward View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 5:22pm
you haven't played yet?
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:11pm
looks good, i like it. i dont like those hoppers though, they look alright, but i dont think that 100 rds for an a-5 is adequate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic