Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Serious Defect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Serious Defect?
    Posted: 27 August 2006 at 5:23pm
I'm going to try and describe this so it's easy to understand but to me it seems like an odd thing (maybe a defect?).  I bought a used 98 Custom on Ebay.  It came and was in good shape, no rust or anything and I took it out today just to see how it shot.  I noticed that the balls would hit about 6 inches to a foot or so towards the right (it increased more the further I shot) from where I aimed.  I thought that was odd and took it home to see if I could find anything wrong with it.  I was holding the marker and looking down on it and I thought it looked like the barrel slowly sloped off to the right.  I asked my dad if he thought so and he looked at it and said that it seemed that way to him too.  After studying it for a few minutes I saw a way that I could test to see if the barrel was indeed crooked.  I unhinged the hopper elbow and took a straight edge and ran it along one edge of the marker (on the top where the metal runs parallel) and then on the other side.  The barrel overlapped further on the right side then on the left, meaning that it angled towards the right.  By the way, it is the stock barrel.  Now to what is causing this, I can't say for sure.  Are the threads on the barrel crooked, the threads on the marker are crooked or is the barrel just not straight.  So if anybody has heard of this, had it happen to them or just has any input at all I would really appreciate it.  Thanks

Edited by ACross - 27 August 2006 at 5:26pm
RevoXT View Drop Down
Strike 3 and hes outta here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevoXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 10:00pm
can't say I have ever heard of that...I guess the guy was selling it for a reason lol
Tippmann A-5
-Shocktech Drop
-Super R\T
-QEV
-JCS Powertube
-BT Sight
-Flatline + Metadyne Shroud
-R.I.S. Foregrip
-Stock
-C02 20OZ Anti-Siphon
-X-Core EXP Chamber
-Macro-Line
Tippmann C-3
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 11:45pm
Take the barrel off and see if it is curved. If it is, thats your problem.

If not, put it back on the gun and see if it still seems curved

If not, then that was the problem.

If it is still curved, borrow a friends barrel. If the new barrel seems curved, then the threads are screwed up on the gun.

If the new barrel looks good, then the stock barrel is screwed up.

I think that just about does it.

barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 11:58pm
Hopefully it all works out for ya. But your not guaranteed the best quality product there is. When I picked up my 98 with a flatline for $160 off ebay, the fool had colored the ENTIRE thing with a black sharpie...
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2006 at 1:25am
Actually this is a design flaw. A lot of 98c's do this. It is lousy engineering to have a threaded receiver cut in half, because it requires tighter tolerances than the 98 has. The a5 fixed this with the one-piece barrel receiver. One thing you could do is this:
loosen the front screws a little bit
tighten the barrel in HARD so the bottom of it seats against the ledge in the receiver
tighten the front receiver screws
Eat The Brisket
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2006 at 4:35am

Pattison got it correct. And it varies from brand of barrel to brand of barrel. Even though the barrel threads for differed barrels fit some vary in their tolerance. The threads in the marker are off...some. And the threads on the barrels just happen to line up to when engaged to tilt the barrel slightly out of alignment.

As was suggested, loosen the front receiver screws on the marker and seat the barrel with a tightening twist...then re-tighten the screws.

For the most part, you will find you use the sights very little. Target acquisition is by watching the trajectory of the balls. If Tippmann had expected real use of the sights they would have designed then with a windage adjustment.

If the misalignment really bugs you, sent it to Tippmann. Even as a second hand marker they may fix it for free...since it actually is a defect in the marker.

ACross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2006 at 8:51am
I did loosen the front reciever screws, screwed the barrel in tight then tightened the screws and it helped.  I still think its slightly off but not as bad.  I probably wont use the sights that much but it seemed to me that a slanted barrel would add more friction on the ball, thus reducing distance of the shot.  Maybe not but that seemed possible to me.  Is it likely that another barrel would seat itself straight?  I wanted to get a longer barrel, especially if I know that it will correct what little crookedness there is.  I sent Tippmann an email so I will see what they say.  Thanks again for the help.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2006 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by ACross ACross wrote:

I did loosen the front reciever screws, screwed the barrel in tight then tightened the screws and it helped.  I still think its slightly off but not as bad.  I probably wont use the sights that much but it seemed to me that a slanted barrel would add more friction on the ball, thus reducing distance of the shot.  Maybe not but that seemed possible to me.  Is it likely that another barrel would seat itself straight?  I wanted to get a longer barrel, especially if I know that it will correct what little crookedness there is.  I sent Tippmann an email so I will see what they say.  Thanks again for the help.

Another barrel may seat better. About the "friction," the ball is pushed inside the end of the barrel before the gas hits it, so there is no transition that might sling the ball against the side of the barrel. Only a problem if the barrel were, itself, actually bent (like the Flatline).

GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

Actually this is a design flaw. A lot of 98c's do this. It is lousy engineering to have a threaded receiver cut in half, because it requires tighter tolerances than the 98 has. The a5 fixed this with the one-piece barrel receiver. One thing you could do is this:
loosen the front screws a little bit
tighten the barrel in HARD so the bottom of it seats against the ledge in the receiver
tighten the front receiver screws

damn. i got a new barrel a while back and thought it was messed up, then i checked the stock barrel and others and realized they all seemed a little tilted. i honestly didnt factor in tippmann making a possible error

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by ACross ACross wrote:

it seemed to me that a slanted barrel would add more friction on the ball, thus reducing distance of the shot.  Maybe not but that seemed possible to me.

The air will push the ball out the barrel no matter what, the air applies positive pressure on the ball until it reaches the end of the barrel. So as long as your gun chrono's at your field speed, it will shoot the exact same distance as anything else.

Quote I sent Tippmann an email so I will see what they say.  Thanks again for the help.

Tippmann is ATROCIOUS at responding to email. Just give them a call.  I dont know the 800 number offhand, but 1-260-749-6022 is their number.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic