Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Mask is Right for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WeeMan23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeMan23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:18pm
I have a V Force profiler and its the best thing I've ever owned.  Light, comfy, tight profile, and excellent field of vision.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
SWAT Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWAT Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:17pm
I have a V Force Grill Goggle in Olive Drab. Its light and very comfortable.
hawkwindnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkwindnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 5:02am

A couple of pics there of extreme rage masks.

Click on the pic for a better view.

Mask on left is an extreme rage x-ray single, mask on right is a extreme rage 20/20 echo.

Both completely different masks, the xray is a budget model, however, I find it great for woodsball, and fits huge melons very well. The foam is crap, and will last not more than a couple of months. Great complete neck and side protection, this is a huge mask, and also has a huge profile, but seems to blend in with dense bush really well. It also needs a thermal lense. This mask is made of very solid plastic, it certainly doesn't give a bit. You get a headshot in this, and the noise in the mask can make your ears ring at times.

The 20/20 echo is a pretty decent speedball mask, is low profile, and is made of soft rubber which allows for quite a few ricochets. It also has a built in fan in the visor. Not suited for large heads, you get your cheeks slapped in this mask. It has very decent foam around the goggles, and some above the ears, which has lasted a couple of years fine. Also has a great non slip strap with silicone lines running around it.

However, there is absolutely no neck protection, I also found the fan very noisey until I squirted some wd40 into it, and does an o.k. job at keeping the fog at bay.

I am a bit of a fat bugger, so I sweat a fair bit in game, which causes a lot of fogging, so I have made a belt mounted fan connected to my mask through electrical conduit piping. I look like Darth vader in the bush, but it works that well I have to turn it off when my eyebrows go numb from the cold. I have also removed the goggle assembly out of the 20/20 echo and fitted it to the x-rays, they are the exact same assembly and switch over very well.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the lenses provide very good visibility, but they are an absolute mongrel to remove from the frame.

Hope the pictures turn out,

Edited by hawkwindnz - 19 May 2008 at 5:23am
MarcoAzorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoAzorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 3:19am

All masks with anti-fog lenses (thermal lenses) are good, if they are in good shape, after a while they tend to lose their effectiveness.

I had a JT Protheus 2 for 7 years served me very well, i changed lenses on it 3 times over that period!

I now have a Vforce Grill and it is better than the JT system, no dought about it!

It costs more to have these high end masks but its a good investement and it will show over time in the games...

TIPPMAN X7 HK416 Fixed Stock Mod

techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by captpainntball7 captpainntball7 wrote:

The biggest problem I have with masks is the fogging. It has seriously ruined games for me. I was thinking about getting a mask with a fan built in. Is this a good idea or are there other masks that never ever fog?

I'm using the same mask I bought 6 years ago, a JT Flex-7 and it's served me well.

Very reliable and will take a beating. I've actually tried out the "Vortex" fan on it,
but imho it was terrible and really just a big waste of $20.

On the flip side however, if you're a woodsball/scenario team member, you may find that the
JT Sports Comm is a valuable piece of equipment. Definately gets a HUGE from me.

My team used Motorolas and the system worked great. Some of the guys preferred
throat mics, but as you can see the mic provided is very sufficient, just don't YELL.

As far as fogged up lenses go, if you want to take the more frugal route, using the
PMI Anti-Fog on your lenses may do the trick. It has for me.

Good luck!
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 12:47am

Originally posted by captpainntball7 captpainntball7 wrote:

The biggest problem I have with masks is the fogging. It has seriously ruined games for me. I was thinking about getting a mask with a fan built in. Is this a good idea or are there other masks that never ever fog?

Have you tried thermal lenses?

captpainntball7 View Drop Down
strike 1- flaming/crudity 3/30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captpainntball7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:19pm
MarcoAzorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoAzorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:29am
Mask of the moment is:

Vforce Grill

I got one and its just awesome!... In all details!...
TIPPMAN X7 HK416 Fixed Stock Mod

MostHated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostHated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2007 at 10:59pm
I love the e ventz they are real good u could see clearly its comfortable what more would players want and i also have a dye mask and that also good and u could get upgrades for it to fit your needs and you could do the same with the e ventz.
samuelbowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelbowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2007 at 11:14pm
im stuck with a jt mask i bought for like $30 at walmart....it gets the job done
Samuel Bowen
Fattymcgee55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fattymcgee55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 2:01am
I've tried empire events, avatars, jt proflex's, flex 7's, elite head shields, and by far the most comfortable mask I've ever worn is the flex 8. I can also wear my glasses in comfort.
salami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:13am

I've had the best luck with the V Force Morph and Profiler.  Each has a slight advantage and disadvantage IMHO.  They both however utilize the same goggle shield which is nice because I have all the different colors and can interchange them as I need to between the 2.

The Morph is a great mask, has a soft lower mouthguard, great when you have a stock on your gun and your mask rubs up against it, a hard plastic mouthguard thats really wide can be very annoying, I can't get anywhere near a proper cheekweld like on a real rifle, I wish I could but I get enough of a chinweld that its close enough.  The Profiler has a very slim tapered mouthguard, its a lil easier to get my face as close as I can and its not too bad banging against the stock.  I like my Morph frame better.

The problem with these 2.... the lenses themselves are supposedly thermo treated for anti fogging etc... but these masks dont have the best ventilation and can fog if you breathe heavily, sadly the way its designed theres lil vent holes at the bottom of the lense that allows for this.... :( the mask fits me perfectly though and its the most comfortable, and I tried em all so I make do with it, some electrical tape and viola, but... now your eyeballs get warm and that causes sweating because theres even less ventilation and bam, fog again so... good idea that wasn't so good, we try and avoid playing on muggy days if at all possible

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by scrumsguy scrumsguy wrote:

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Me.

I wear my glasses under my JT flex 8 dual pain and I can wear my glasses and be comfortable.

I said MOST. And I've heard a lot of complaints from people with dual pane lenses and glasses which is why I added it.

Originally posted by lyndaKaaay lyndaKaaay wrote:

My nforcer has been working for me

You'll say that until you've spent a day with a higher end mask. I thought the mask that came with my 98 custom was fine. I moved on to a Proto Switch and swore never to buy a mask with crappy foam again.

Originally posted by hawkwindnz hawkwindnz wrote:

I hear you can get masks with fans in them, any good?

or too noisey?

They're noisy, but you can't hear much from over 20 feet away. I don't have any experience with them, but a lot of people seem to like turning them on only when they need it. I really don't know how effective they are.
hawkwindnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkwindnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 4:02am

I hear you can get masks with fans in them, any good?

or too noisey?

lyndaKaaay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndaKaaay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:57pm
My nforcer has been working for me, except maybe the pain from taking off the lenses 
scrumsguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrumsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

I put this on the Special Ops Forum, I don't know why I didn't put it here:

Comfort:

If the mask squeezes your head or the foam can shred your skin off, don't buy it. Wear something that has soft foam and that can fit snugly. When trying on a mask, do it with any headgear that you play with. Also, ALL of the foam around the lens should contact your face for proper fit, if it doesn't work out, raise or lower the strap to figure out where it should be. I find that I'm most comfortable with a backwards Flexfit hat on. It puts the strap where it needs to be and keeps my hair out of the goggles. If you wear glasses under your mask, avoid double pane lenses (unless you want to take the thermal pane out) because glasses wont fit under most of those.

I wear my glasses under my JT flex 8 dual pain and I can wear my glasses and be comfertable

Also I had the shower on HIGH and there was alot of steam(almost more than a sauna) and I could still see fine, given I didn't have my glasses on

Edited by scrumsguy - 22 July 2007 at 6:59pm
Help support the Youth In Asia!

Member Of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

chaibill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 11:26am
jt spectra proshield $38 black or olive
jt nvader $35 black w/gray vents
jt nforcer $36 black w/ clear vents
jt flex 7 thermal $45 olive green
i think shipping is $8 and they all come with an extra spectra lens (clear) so wich would be the best buy
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
chaibill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 11:16pm
i need a goggle sytem for my wife i saw a jt alpha in camo for $30 any one use this mask

Edited by chaibill - 15 June 2007 at 10:50pm
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
eclipsor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:47pm
has anyone tried the JT Headshield Goggle
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by nathanours nathanours wrote:

well i dont know about paintball masks, but i snowboard all the time and have a pair of $130 goggles that had anti fog stuff on em

it did wear off after a while, but there is this stuff u can buy for like $4 that is an anti fog liquid and after u rub it onto ur lenses they WILL NOT fog up for at least a week of every day use and the bottle will last u for quite a few applications

'

I've never had a problem with any of my thermal lenses ever fogging up, and believe me, they've been through it all, the climate around here changes ALOT between summer and winter, and I've never had any problems with them. Anti-fog solution is generally for lower end masks that do not have a thermal lense available.

Anti-fog is also very handy to have if you wear glasses. It does no good to have a fog proof mask if your glasses fog up. On the subject of glasses, another reason to have the foam fit tightly around your face is related to them. Loose fitting foam allows sweat to get by and drip down on glasses, which can be really annoying. (It's not as bad as fog, but it still interferes with vision.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic