Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Mask is Right for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2007 at 10:38pm

JT Products Flex 8.

The flex 8 is more or less a Proflex with a different bottom.  It shares the same frame as a Proflex so it can easily be changed to any style you want.  I own the Flex 8, Proflex, and Profiler and I prefer the 8 over the other two.  It has a wide range of vision, nice thermal lenses, and adequate coverage of all the important areas. It   The only draw backs I have found it changing the lenses (my way of beating this is just keeping an extra frame with lenses and just switching that in when I need it).  Its breath ability is slightly less than the Proflex because of its structured design, which is still flexible yet solid, but unless you breath like a vaporizer I don’t think you’ll have any problems.  Overall I found this to be the best mask Iv tried out.

Price: Priced at $60 they are more affordable than other high end systems. The one I have pictured (mine) would cost you about $75-$80.

tonton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 8:34pm
i have a JT elite headshield.  it protects the back oof you head, the top, and the front.  any thought an this mask?
custom pro
e-trigger
----------------------
we are the gwagalagas!!! ya we're nerds, get over it.

owned to the dome!
socom clan: COG
Langside View Drop Down

One strike, language in link 2/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Langside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 8:40pm

Originally posted by tonton tonton wrote:

i have a JT elite headshield.  it protects the back oof you head, the top, and the front.  any thought an this mask?

Too big I think just becasue it sticks out to much.

Cuthbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuthbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:53am

Say you have thermal lens and the outer lens developes a crack near the edge and your not awear of it. You take a shot to the lens and they break. Does the inner lens offer the same protection as the outer ones?

Langside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Langside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Cuthbert Cuthbert wrote:

Say you have thermal lens and the outer lens developes a crack near the edge and your not awear of it. You take a shot to the lens and they break. Does the inner lens offer the same protection as the outer ones?

You ar supposed to change the lense very time you take a direct hit even know most people don't... But if it has cracked it's get a new one, now.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Cuthbert Cuthbert wrote:

No, you need to get a new lense in it immediately.  Any visible signs of wear(ie, spiderwebs, cracks, dents, etc.) on your lense are a sign that you need new ones. 

Originally posted by Langside Langside wrote:

You ar supposed to change the lense very time you take a direct hit even know most people don't... But if it has cracked it's get a new one, now.

Wrong.  If this were so, professional players would go through lenses like underwear.  Masks are tested at up to 450 fps, and can easily withstand direct hits.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 5:30pm
Not wrong. Most manufacturers recommend that you change the lens after a direct hit. Even though most people dont this is no reason for you to get up on your high horse and talk a load of pish.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Not wrong. Most manufacturers recommend that you change the lens after a direct hit. Even though most people dont this is no reason for you to get up on your high horse and talk a load of pish.

DIRECTLY from Vforce's Ownership and Care Manual for all of it's masks and lenses.

"WARNING!
Check the lens before and after each use. Replace the lens after one year of use, even if it seems
to be intact. Replace the lens immediately if it shows cracks or if it has received repeated direct impacts
from a ball shot from a distance of less than 10 feet (3 m)."

JT does not mention it AT ALL.  So, I think there is a difference between, A) Getting shot in the lens, and B) Getting bunkered repeatedly in the lens.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 9:25am
My personal favorite
The Raven NVX

This is a mask that can be found relatively cheaply. I bought two pair on sale for less than $20 a piece, Gunmetal Gray and Emerald Green, but they tend to run about double that. I tried this mask out for the first time when Raven was still its own company, but they have been bought out and replacements can be tricky to find.

Pros:
Very comfortable
Excellent field of view
Photochromatic lens (tints in sunlight)
Soft material and thick padding
Very breathable and easy to hear/speak through
Excellent anti-fog

Cons:
Padding can sometimes come loose from sweat
Breathability can lead to some nasty tasting paint in the mouth (though the paintball itself is still stopped and I have felt no impact on my face at any time)
Replacement lenses can be difficult to find

Edited by reifidom - 08 March 2007 at 9:27am

johnson1456 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnson1456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 7:38am

you can never be too safe

Edited by johnson1456 - 10 March 2007 at 7:39am
Johnson

x7: flatline, "T" dot scope, folding vertical handle...still in work
Langside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Langside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 1:37pm
^Great mask if you don't like your teeth.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by nathanours nathanours wrote:

well i dont know about paintball masks, but i snowboard all the time and have a pair of $130 goggles that had anti fog stuff on em

it did wear off after a while, but there is this stuff u can buy for like $4 that is an anti fog liquid and after u rub it onto ur lenses they WILL NOT fog up for at least a week of every day use and the bottle will last u for quite a few applications

'

I've never had a problem with any of my thermal lenses ever fogging up, and believe me, they've been through it all, the climate around here changes ALOT between summer and winter, and I've never had any problems with them. Anti-fog solution is generally for lower end masks that do not have a thermal lense available.

Anti-fog is also very handy to have if you wear glasses. It does no good to have a fog proof mask if your glasses fog up. On the subject of glasses, another reason to have the foam fit tightly around your face is related to them. Loose fitting foam allows sweat to get by and drip down on glasses, which can be really annoying. (It's not as bad as fog, but it still interferes with vision.)
eclipsor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:47pm
has anyone tried the JT Headshield Goggle
chaibill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 11:16pm
i need a goggle sytem for my wife i saw a jt alpha in camo for $30 any one use this mask

Edited by chaibill - 15 June 2007 at 10:50pm
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
chaibill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 11:26am
jt spectra proshield $38 black or olive
jt nvader $35 black w/gray vents
jt nforcer $36 black w/ clear vents
jt flex 7 thermal $45 olive green
i think shipping is $8 and they all come with an extra spectra lens (clear) so wich would be the best buy
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
scrumsguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrumsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

I put this on the Special Ops Forum, I don't know why I didn't put it here:

Comfort:

If the mask squeezes your head or the foam can shred your skin off, don't buy it. Wear something that has soft foam and that can fit snugly. When trying on a mask, do it with any headgear that you play with. Also, ALL of the foam around the lens should contact your face for proper fit, if it doesn't work out, raise or lower the strap to figure out where it should be. I find that I'm most comfortable with a backwards Flexfit hat on. It puts the strap where it needs to be and keeps my hair out of the goggles. If you wear glasses under your mask, avoid double pane lenses (unless you want to take the thermal pane out) because glasses wont fit under most of those.

I wear my glasses under my JT flex 8 dual pain and I can wear my glasses and be comfertable

Also I had the shower on HIGH and there was alot of steam(almost more than a sauna) and I could still see fine, given I didn't have my glasses on

Edited by scrumsguy - 22 July 2007 at 6:59pm
Help support the Youth In Asia!

Member Of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

lyndaKaaay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndaKaaay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:57pm
My nforcer has been working for me, except maybe the pain from taking off the lenses 
hawkwindnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkwindnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 4:02am

I hear you can get masks with fans in them, any good?

or too noisey?

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by scrumsguy scrumsguy wrote:

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Me.

I wear my glasses under my JT flex 8 dual pain and I can wear my glasses and be comfortable.

I said MOST. And I've heard a lot of complaints from people with dual pane lenses and glasses which is why I added it.

Originally posted by lyndaKaaay lyndaKaaay wrote:

My nforcer has been working for me

You'll say that until you've spent a day with a higher end mask. I thought the mask that came with my 98 custom was fine. I moved on to a Proto Switch and swore never to buy a mask with crappy foam again.

Originally posted by hawkwindnz hawkwindnz wrote:

I hear you can get masks with fans in them, any good?

or too noisey?

They're noisy, but you can't hear much from over 20 feet away. I don't have any experience with them, but a lot of people seem to like turning them on only when they need it. I really don't know how effective they are.
salami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:13am

I've had the best luck with the V Force Morph and Profiler.  Each has a slight advantage and disadvantage IMHO.  They both however utilize the same goggle shield which is nice because I have all the different colors and can interchange them as I need to between the 2.

The Morph is a great mask, has a soft lower mouthguard, great when you have a stock on your gun and your mask rubs up against it, a hard plastic mouthguard thats really wide can be very annoying, I can't get anywhere near a proper cheekweld like on a real rifle, I wish I could but I get enough of a chinweld that its close enough.  The Profiler has a very slim tapered mouthguard, its a lil easier to get my face as close as I can and its not too bad banging against the stock.  I like my Morph frame better.

The problem with these 2.... the lenses themselves are supposedly thermo treated for anti fogging etc... but these masks dont have the best ventilation and can fog if you breathe heavily, sadly the way its designed theres lil vent holes at the bottom of the lense that allows for this.... :( the mask fits me perfectly though and its the most comfortable, and I tried em all so I make do with it, some electrical tape and viola, but... now your eyeballs get warm and that causes sweating because theres even less ventilation and bam, fog again so... good idea that wasn't so good, we try and avoid playing on muggy days if at all possible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic